European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

08-05-2019, 10:17 PM   #177
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynguldyn View Post
I've just added everything I can say about G80 to the top post. Though I still feel like I'm on shaky ground here.
Thanks for giving more detail. I really appreciate you sharing what you are able to despite not having complete confidence. To me that shows trust in the community.

Assuming that the three-model lineup is indeed correct, it would be a little surprising if the “middle” configuration ends up being RWD Competition instead of AWD non-Competition. However, I admit that the biggest reason I think that is that it’s easiest to simply assume the M3/M4 lineup will be a superset of the X3/X4 M, M5/M8, and (presumably) X5/X6 M lineups. Yet, that needn’t necessarily be the case. That being said, I feel like it would be a little weird if there’s just one G83 configuration.

Either way, this is fun. I cant recall a future model release surrounded in so much mystery and intrigue. Not to mention the plot twists. I’m sure BMW is loving all the hype.
Appreciate 1
JTO245227.00
      08-06-2019, 12:24 AM   #178
brad850csi
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 16 F13 M6 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
I’m sure BMW is loving all the hype.
Or people not talking about the potential grill design
      08-06-2019, 04:44 AM   #179
RPM33
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 CS

Quote:
I have found several independent confirmations of this.

(Top post updated with this and also another M2 version.)
Any information about this another M2 version such as start of production?
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2019, 08:06 AM   #180
xlover
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

Quote:
Thanks for giving more detail. I really appreciate you sharing what you are able to despite not having complete confidence. To me that shows trust in the community.

Assuming that the three-model lineup is indeed correct, it would be a little surprising if the "middle" configuration ends up being RWD Competition instead of AWD non-Competition. However, I admit that the biggest reason I think that is that it's easiest to simply assume the M3/M4 lineup will be a superset of the X3/X4 M, M5/M8, and (presumably) X5/X6 M lineups. However, that needn't necessarily be the case. That being said, I feel like it would be a little weird if there's just one G83 configuration.

Either way, this is fun. I cant recall a future model release surrounded in so much mystery and intrigue. Not to mention the plot twists. I'm sure BMW is loving all the hype.
Taking a look at the overall marketing strategy, the launch of the X3 M and M8, and the sales numbers the last few years for the current M3/M4, it's looking like the pivot confusing the speculators (which I happily play along as) might be that the Competition model is expected to be the volume seller. Everything has been focused on the Competition models. I think some markets are only getting Competition models for the X3/X4 M.

We tend to look at product strategy as a ladder going up, but I think they are looking at it the opposite direction: deliver the Competition model as the most desirable volume seller (and most profitable), assume those willing to pay for xDrive will also willingly pay for the Competition model (regardless of the debate on RWD vs AWD as a preference, BMW feels M xDrive is a dry weather performance plus up), offer the base model as the down market (and lower priced) bridge to the M340i.

It's not like the whole drivetrain isn't engineered already from the X3 M so that if the market demands a base xDrive they can't deliver it rapidly.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2019, 08:43 AM   #181
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlover View Post
Taking a look at the overall marketing strategy, the launch of the X3 M and M8, and the sales numbers the last few years for the current M3/M4, it's looking like the pivot confusing the speculators (which I happily playing along as) might be that the Competition model is expected to be the volume seller. Everything has been focused on the Competition models. I think some markets are only getting Competition models for the X3/X4 M.

We tend to look at product strategy as a ladder going up, but I think they are looking at it the opposite direction: deliver the Competition model as the most desirable volume seller (and most profitable), assume those willing to pay for xDrive will also willingly pay for the Competition model (regardless of the debate on RWD vs AWD as a preference, BMW feels M xDrive is a dry weather performance plus up), offer the base model as the down market (and lower priced) bridge to the M340i.
Actually, I think that strategy became evident over the past few years as BMW has aggressively expanded the two-model (well, two regularly occurring - the new CS and upcoming revived CSL nameplates are the new up-sells) M lineup. We've had a pretty good idea for quite sometime that BMW saw what Mercedes was doing with the "S" step-up model, which sells through at something like 85%, and realized they were leaving cash on the table.

Quote:
It's not like the whole drivetrain isn't engineered already from the X3 M so that if the market demands a base xDrive they can't deliver it rapidly.
Absolutely.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2019, 10:56 AM   #182
RPM33
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 CS

Quote:

(Top post updated with this and also another M2 version.)
Is this M2 version a CSL? Any confirmation about production dates?
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2019, 11:20 AM   #183
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i |2016 340i | 2010 X5

Quote:
August 2019
  • G22 is 100% confirmed to be automatic only in the US. The same is true for all non-US G22 models available at market intro (I'm leaving open the possibility of a later non-US model addition that would have a manual, but even that is unlikely in my opinion). Confirmed US models are 430i, 430i xDrive, and M440i xDrive. M440i (RWD) is also possible but not yet confirmed.
The G82 is the last chance for us 6MT coupe lovers as long as it's not fugly (still nervous about the grille situation), unless they don't nerf the options on the G87 like they did for the F87. Gotsta have my HUD and top view cameras if I'm paying 60k+.

Edit: Also, do you have any info on the cancelled models? I heard the Z4 and 8 series coupe future generations are already being cancelled among some others?
Youtube/Instagram/TikTok: @kern417

Last edited by kern417; 08-06-2019 at 11:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2019, 11:37 AM   #184
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kern417 View Post
...unless they don't nerf the options on the G87 like they did for the F87. Gotsta have my HUD and top view cameras if I'm paying 60k+.
Those options were not left off of the F87 arbitrarily. They were not present because the F87 is based on the F22, and that product does not have those features available. Let's remember that the M Division is in charge of building Series products into performance machines. They don't add luxury and tech goodies. Those things need to be integrated into the DNA of the vehicle from the start, and it would be a waste of M Division's resources to get involved in all of those details. So, if you want more of that than the Series model provides, you will indeed have to step up to a higher tier on the BMW food chain once again.

All that is to say, if the G42 does not have HUD and surround view cameras (and I'm not saying it won't), and those things are high enough priority to you that their absence overshadows what will probably be the very last small BMW coupe with a manual transmission, then you can safely ignore the future G87 before we even see it without camouflage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kern417 View Post
Edit: Also, do you have any info on the cancelled models? I heard the Z4 and 8 series coupe future generations are already being cancelled among some others?
That is still just rumor, and even if those products will not return for a future generation, the current models will most likely stick around for at least a few years if not their originally planned, approximately seven year lifespan. As such, it will be years before the lack of preliminary information for future generations in the pipeline could start to be leveraged as a reliable way to call them dead for good.
Appreciate 2
kern4174431.50
pyrat15194.50
      08-06-2019, 02:28 PM   #185
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i |2016 340i | 2010 X5

Quote:
Those options were not left off of the F87 arbitrarily. They were not present because the F87 is based on the F22, and that product does not have those features available. Let's remember that the M Division is in charge of building Series products into performance machines. They don't add luxury and tech goodies. Those things need to be integrated into the DNA of the vehicle from the start, and it would be a waste of M Division's resources to get involved in all of those details. So, if you want more of that than the Series model provides, you will indeed have to step up to a higher tier on the BMW food chain once again.

All that is to say, if the G42 does not have HUD and surround view cameras (and I'm not saying it won't), and those things are high enough priority to you that their absence overshadows what will probably be the very last small BMW coupe with a manual transmission, then you can safely ignore the future G87 before we even see it without camouflage.
Trust me, I understand how it works. But offering basically 4 options on your top-tier model in that line was quite a buzzkill at the price point. It was basically a tuned M235i. At least now the M2C has a competent engine. But I'd hope that the G87 has something more to offer than relying on people getting it because it's the //M with the shortest wheel base.
Youtube/Instagram/TikTok: @kern417
Appreciate 1
mkoesel7505.50
      08-07-2019, 09:39 AM   #186
JohnEnglish
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Black

Any hint of a M4 Gran Coupe?
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2019, 09:40 AM   #187
F85MTuNED
IG: @88jae88
Rep
Drives: ///Ⓜ️

Sooooo DCT is officially dead?
      08-07-2019, 09:42 AM   #188
Miko M
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C. 2020 X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by F85MTuNED View Post
Sooooo DCT is officially dead?
Looks like it, ouch it hurts big time

I will take MT
      08-07-2019, 09:43 AM   #189
Ghostriderf80
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Just a Porsche

Any word or spy pics of the new grills... I cannot wait another year to find out.
Appreciate 1
pyrat15194.50
      08-07-2019, 09:46 AM   #190
alex2364
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 ZCP / 2023 X3 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW M4  [10.00]
2023 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
Any info on when G80 will be available at US dealers? I've seen estimates anywhere from mid 2020 to 2021.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2019, 09:59 AM   #191
Miko M
///M
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostriderf80 View Post
Any word or spy pics of the new grills... I cannot wait another year to find out.
Lol, what a punishment
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex2364 View Post
Any info on when G80 will be available at US dealers? I've seen estimates anywhere from mid 2020 to 2021.
The teasing started so early that we are all eager to finally have more Info and want one.
Unfortunately the punishment is way to long.
I am tired of it already
JTO245227.00
kern4174431.50
      08-07-2019, 10:12 AM   #192
secretanchitman
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 F82 M4 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miko M View Post
Lol, what a punishment

The teasing started so early that we are all eager to finally have more Info and want one.
I am tired of it already
Will it really be a year before we see official pictures of G80/G82??
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2019, 10:28 AM   #193
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM33 View Post
Quote:

One more F87 M2 model is possible. Just looking at timing, it should be something very special, with a very short production run. And it will be US only.

Top post updated with this and also another M2 version.)

To me...if you are going to make an M2 racing.. then they should be making an extra 1000 of everything and make a CSL just like they did back when they made the E30 M3 sport evo ..

I deduced this many moons ago once I saw the timing of when the M2 ends , and knowing how BMW sells M2 when they cannot sell M4 ..

The EOP for the M2 is 6/21 and there simply is time ( despite the protestations of others ) for an additional model and why not call it CSL.

As I said when I placed a photo of it on my computer in 2016... just take the moto GP M2 race car and put a price tag on it !

It shouldn't have taken BMW years to figure this out .. but then again ..perhaps indeed, these things are planned years out , and BMW product planning hasn't change much since the 1980s .. bring the special editions at the VERY end.
Appreciate 2
Miko M6646.50
pyrat15194.50
      08-07-2019, 10:31 AM   #194
Mavs1balla
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by secretanchitman View Post

I read somewhere that it will be unveiled in fankfurt auto show this sept
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2019, 10:43 AM   #195
Mako
(Sold) '00 M Roadster '06 M Coupe '16 M3 '20 X3MC
Rep
Drives: '23 M3 comp

what about G86? as in M4GC? thought I read before it was highly likely there would be one.

2022 launch? if that is the case it would make the move from my M3 to a X3M this fall make more sense (then trade it in for a M4GC in 3 years).
Appreciate 1
      08-07-2019, 10:44 AM   #196
MDuckie
Private
Rep
Drives: M2CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM33 View Post
Quote:

One more F87 M2 model is possible. Just looking at timing, it should be something very special, with a very short production run. And it will be US only.

Top post updated with this and also another M2 version.)

To me...if you are going to make an M2 racing.. then they should be making an extra 1000 of everything and make a CSL just like they did back when they made the E30 M3 sport evo ..

I deduced this many moons ago once I saw the timing of when the M2 ends , and knowing how BMW sells M2 when they cannot sell M4 ..

The EOP for the M2 is 6/21 and there simply is time ( despite the protestations of others ) for an additional model and why not call it CSL.

As I said when I placed a photo of it on my computer in 2016... just take the moto GP M2 race car and put a price tag on it !

It shouldn't have taken BMW years to figure this out .. but then again ..perhaps indeed, these things are planned years out , and BMW product planning hasn't change much since the 1980s .. bring the special editions at the VERY end.
They aren't going to revive the legendary CSL designation on an old model nor their entry level M model.
Appreciate 1
bm323193.50
      08-07-2019, 10:45 AM   #197
Miko M
///M
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by secretanchitman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miko M View Post
Lol, what a punishment

I am tired of it already
No, but until you drive one it will
pyrat15194.50
      08-07-2019, 10:47 AM   #198
LeMans E90
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 Le Mans E90

Bump!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako View Post
what about G86? as in M4GC? thought I read before it was highly likely there would be one.

2022 launch? if that is the case it would make the move from my M3 to a X3M this fall make more sense (then trade it in for a M4GC in 3 years).
I too, would like to know if this is a possibility. Would be the perfect daily for my needs.