Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

01-19-2022, 02:47 PM   #23
SanchoDivine
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3

I had the upgrade done on my car. Now my car honks when I lock it when the car is running which is irritating and something I'll look to code off sooner or later but what's more irritating is that my idrive will randomly restart every once in a while. Annoying when talking on the phone or listening to the radio.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2022, 03:44 PM   #24
Nonopr01
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanchoDivine View Post
I had the upgrade done on my car. Now my car honks when I lock it when the car is running which is irritating and something I'll look to code off sooner or later but what's more irritating is that my idrive will randomly restart every once in a while. Annoying when talking on the phone or listening to the radio.
You can take that off with the settings on your car. No need to code.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2022, 04:00 PM   #25
SanchoDivine
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonopr01 View Post
You can take that off with the settings on your car. No need to code.
I'm not talking about the beep noise that you can enable/disable in vehicle settings, I'm talking about the horn going off a couple times and is extremely loud. The car used to not honk the horn when locking the door while the car is running but it started doing that after they did the phone upgrade and whatever coding they performed.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2022, 07:57 PM   #26
Stealthm4bcm
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4 ZCP

Quote:
Did you notice any improvements at all? Does Bluetooth get replaced too? Mine either works or it doesn't which requires the car to be turned off and turned back on
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2022, 08:03 PM   #27
SanchoDivine
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthm4bcm View Post
Quote:
Did you notice any improvements at all? Does Bluetooth get replaced too? Mine either works or it doesn't which requires the car to be turned off and turned back on
Seems the same to me except when the iDrive randomly restarts. I don't think the real-time traffic and other online capabilities will work if you don't get the upgrade when 3g is retired
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2022, 08:09 PM   #28
Stealthm4bcm
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Seems the same to me except when the iDrive randomly restarts. I don't think the real-time traffic and other online capabilities will work if you don't get the upgrade when 3g is retired
True. My connected drive never really worked to begin with so I don't really know what I'm missing lol. I've done some coding on my car and i guess the only reason for me to do this upgrade is if I consider selling. Although, I'm very attached to it and don't like the new look at all. Connected drive is a subscription service though?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2022, 08:18 PM   #29
SanchoDivine
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
True. My connected drive never really worked to begin with so I don't really know what I'm missing lol. I've done some coding on my car and i guess the only reason for me to do this upgrade is if I consider selling. Although, I'm very attached to it and don't like the new look at all. Connected drive is a subscription service though?
It is a sub but it makes the navigation work incredibly by voice. I just tell it to navigate to a name of a place and it list the correct destination almost every time that I have ever used it. When the subscription ran out the navigation worked like crap trying to ask it to find things.

If the upgrade is free you should get it because you can always get your coding redone but the upgrade won't be free forever.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2022, 08:28 PM   #30
Stealthm4bcm
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
It is a sub but it makes the navigation work incredibly by voice. I just tell it to navigate to a name of a place and it list the correct destination almost every time that I have ever used it. When the subscription ran out the navigation worked like crap trying to ask it to find things.

If the upgrade is free you should get it because you can always get your coding redone but the upgrade won't be free forever.
Thanks for your insight I'll go ahead and get her scheduled
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2022, 12:01 AM   #31
18BMWX5M
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M4

Does anyone know if you do this upgrade does your DME get locked? I'm running a custom f80 Paul tune and debating what to do.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2022, 05:51 AM   #32
Nonopr01
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18BMWX5M View Post
Does anyone know if you do this upgrade does your DME get locked? I'm running a custom f80 Paul tune and debating what to do.
Mine was not.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2022, 04:05 PM   #33
SanchoDivine
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18BMWX5M View Post
It didn't prevent my car from being retuned
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2022, 10:55 PM   #34
18BMWX5M
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M4

What year are your cars? Mines a 2016 with a May 2016 production date.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2022, 10:44 AM   #35
kosd
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 YMB M4 Convertible

FWIW, I don’t think losing your coding should influence the decision much. Coding your features for lights, seatbelts, etc is pretty quick to re-do. If you’re not able to do it yourself, there are folks out there that can do it for you relatively inexpensively.

One question: does anyone know if I was to upgrade my 2015 from next to evo, would that give me remote start capability using connected services from my phone? That along with a bigger screen might be a good reason to upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2022, 01:48 PM   #36
Stealthm4bcm
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosd View Post
FWIW, I don't think losing your coding should influence the decision much. Coding your features for lights, seatbelts, etc is pretty quick to re-do. If you're not able to do it yourself, there are folks out there that can do it for you relatively inexpensively.

One question: does anyone know if I was to upgrade my 2015 from next to evo, would that give me remote start capability using connected services from my phone? That along with a bigger screen might be a good reason to upgrade.
True. I never had connected drive features to start with because my dealerships were incompetent. I've moved since then just need to dig out the OBD cable for the coding.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2022, 02:58 PM   #37
paulo_f80m3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 01' E46 325i / 16' F80 M3

Garage List
2001 BMW 325i  [8.50]
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Has anyone who has gotten this upgrade done been able to retune their vehicles? I'm wondering if I'll be forced to look elsewhere and need to have my vehicle bench flashed. I was using VF's CS tune before the update. Apparently all new software updates from BMW have relocked ecu's with a newer bootloader that requires a bench flash to unlock only.
      01-27-2022, 03:55 PM   #38
Mortis
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M4 Comp

Could someone explain what exactly is being upgraded (hardware / software)? My f82 (Dec 16 build) is going in for the upgrade next week. Is it a complete iDrive update taking it to the last gen version ? If so kudos to BMW…
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2022, 11:11 PM   #39
YASBBYM3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Cs Lamborghini Huracan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
Could someone explain what exactly is being upgraded (hardware / software)? My f82 (Dec 16 build) is going in for the upgrade next week. Is it a complete iDrive update taking it to the last gen version ? If so kudos to BMW…
If you have a 2016, they replace your ATM in the rear to a unit that supports VoLTE and bandbonding. The HU will remain the 2016 inferior HardWare 2.x that will not support a number of Connected Drive/Remote Services Functions that the higher HW levels do, though one can retrofit a newer HU and gain those functions.

As yours is a 2017, they simply flash your iLevel to the latest software version telling your equipment to use VoLTE and not attempt GSM Voice Communication. No hardware is replaced.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2022, 11:16 PM   #40
Mortis
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by YASBBYM3 View Post
Quote:
If you have a 2016, they replace your ATM in the rear to a unit that supports VoLTE and bandbonding. The HU will remain the 2016 inferior HardWare 2.x that will not support a number of Connected Drive/Remote Services Functions that the higher HW levels do, though one can retrofit a newer HU and gain those functions.

As yours is a 2017, they simply flash your iLevel to the latest software version telling your equipment to use VoLTE and not attempt GSM Voice Communication. No hardware is replaced.
Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2022, 07:00 PM   #41
Mortis
Second Lieutenant
Rep

The software on my 2017 F82 was upgraded for free as part of the current campaign and I think I am feeling some nuanced differences in how the car handles, throttle response and louder/harsher burbling. Does the current ilevel make changes in this regard (My car was not upgraded since 2017)?
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2022, 11:19 PM   #42
YASBBYM3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Cs Lamborghini Huracan

Quote:
The software on my 2017 F82 was upgraded for free as part of the current campaign and I think I am feeling some nuanced differences in how the car handles, throttle response and louder/harsher burbling. Does the current ilevel make changes in this regard (My car was not upgraded since 2017)?
Yes. As more cars are on the road, they refine parameters to make things better. You should generally always have an iLevel update 12 months, 24 months and 36 months after the car is first delivered in my opinion.

However, it will reset everything you may have custom coded back to default.

And any 2020+ car may have the DME locked again.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2022, 06:39 AM   #43
chetman7
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 m3

Just for clarification..this will only wipe simple coding fewtures like auto side mirror folding, auto roll up windows, etc?

It won't touch things like my gts coding (mdm, differential, gearbox)
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2022, 06:44 AM   #44
kubax86
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
No_Country
Rep

Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetman7 View Post
Just for clarification..this will only wipe simple coding fewtures like auto side mirror folding, auto roll up windows, etc?

It won't touch things like my gts coding (mdm, differential, gearbox)
All coding will be wiped
Appreciate 0