Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs)

01-04-2021, 09:10 AM   #1
TEGRITY
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2022 F90 M5C

Garage List
My dealer seems to have removed the protective film near the rear wheels on my F82. the car is being delivered to me and is already on the transport from interstate..

I need the film on the car and do not want to pay for it considering they shouldn't have removed it in the first place. what are my options here considering I cant take the car to the dealer I bought the car from? can I take it to any BMW dealer and would they put it on?

any help would be much appreciated..
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2021, 05:11 PM   #2
hC1001
Captain
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, F80 M3

Not really sure. I bet the film was probably old and yellowed. I think the best thing to do is call the dealer that removed it and see what they can do for you.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2021, 05:18 PM   #3
TEGRITY
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by hC1001 View Post
Not really sure. I bet the film was probably old and yellowed. I think the best thing to do is call the dealer that removed it and see what they can do for you.
Thanks, yeah will ask the dealer to check if they can send it to me or something..
Its a brand new car so I am guessing it was removed during PDI/ detailing...
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2021, 05:42 PM   #4
hC1001
Captain
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKthePM View Post
Thanks, yeah will ask the dealer to check if they can send it to me or something..
Oh ok. Hmm, dont know why they removed it but you could probably ask for them to ship you new ones and you can install yourself or maybe see if they could work with your local dealer to get them installed if you arent familiar with installing PPF.
Appreciate 1
TEGRITY616.50
      01-04-2021, 07:40 PM   #5
TEGRITY
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by hC1001 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKthePM View Post
Oh ok. Hmm, dont know why they removed it but you could probably ask for them to ship you new ones and you can install yourself or maybe see if they could work with your local dealer to get them installed if you arent familiar with installing PPF.
thanks, yeah will try and get them to send it across to me and will get it installed through a local dealer..
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2021, 09:06 PM   #6
IVM3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Are you sure they removed it? It might be hard to see in pics. Rather than them sending you the OEM film, I would ask whether they would reimburse you to have a shop apply Xpel protective film. The OEM film barely covers that area and is not protective enough, and I'd have a shop extend the protection up higher.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2021, 09:30 PM   #7
TEGRITY
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by IVM3 View Post
Are you sure they removed it? It might be hard to see in pics. Rather than them sending you the OEM film, I would ask whether they would reimburse you to have a shop apply Xpel protective film. The OEM film barely covers that area and is not protective enough, and I'd have a shop extend the protection up higher.
I am sure it isn't there.. yeah an xpel PPF would be ideal. its just been harder to deal with an interstate dealer on the phone...

I might have to do PPF around other areas as well as I dont want to risk it..will try my luck or suck it up for what its worth.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2021, 01:57 AM   #8
JagR2611
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F80

Quote:
+1 - I would take the XPEL route & have the installer make it larger than the OEM piece. It takes a beating...especially if you are running spacers or aftermarket wheels.
Appreciate 1
TEGRITY616.50
      01-05-2021, 06:58 AM   #9
Nonopr01
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M3

Each side factory protection film is about $60.00 each. Expensive for the size.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2021, 07:01 AM   #10
TEGRITY
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JagR2611 View Post
Quote:
+1 - I would take the XPEL route & have the installer make it larger than the OEM piece. It takes a beating...especially if you are running spacers or aftermarket wheels.
thanks, I do change wheels and have heard from many people to get a proper PPF and to put on XPEL. definitely on my first list of things to do once the car lands.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2021, 07:05 AM   #11
TEGRITY
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonopr01 View Post
Each side factory protection film is about $60.00 each. Expensive for the size.
yeah and its double each here in AUS!!

I am not going to ask the dealer to send them to me and push down the refund road as XPEL PPF is def on my list of things to do right away. I rather get the whole thing done as a package here through a good installer, which is better value for $.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2021, 10:43 AM   #12
N1rve
Racecar Driver
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [9.63]
If the dealer is going to charge you, I would go after market route. As others stated, the OEM piece is expensive and small. It only sat on my car for about a week before I stripped it and covered my entire car in PPF.

2019 BMW ///M4 - Alpine White | Sakhir Orange/Black Leather | M-DCT | Executive Package | 19" Black 437M Wheels | Carbon Fiber Trim | Sunroof | Active Blind Spot | Heated Steering Wheel | Adaptive M Suspension
Appreciate 1
TEGRITY616.50