BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

02-22-2021, 11:49 AM   #23
Hoppyumr
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M4

Is the DME something you can buy a used one?
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2021, 08:57 PM   #24
diesel733
Master of one
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3 ZCP IMOLA RED

Try contacting the ECU Pro www.the-ecu-pro to see if they can fix the DME. You would have to send it in. You can buy a used DME but it requires a clone from your existing DME but if it's fired, then maybe not possible. Also I doubt the Transmission is toast.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2021, 04:04 PM   #25
hworang00
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 AW F80 M3

So spoke with the BMW guys at length today. I will say this...props to Kenneth and Felix at Hendricks BMW at Southpoint. They are by far the best SA and Tech I've dealt with at any BMW dealership. They were completely understanding and completely cooperative. It's going to cost me some money but they worked out the cost for me. The DME and labor is going to cost 2800. Apparently, I flashed it too hard too fast and the DME actually overheated and burnt out physically. They had Carbahn, Dinan, and BMW Germany look at it and all 3 agreed it was not salvageable. The transmission is going to be fine I think because it's just the coding that was messed up and it should be fine once the correct transmission tune is put back on.

Unfortunately...the DME is going to be post-2019 May edition so no more flash tunes for me. They are working out a deal for me and I'm getting the Dinan heat exchanger and Carbahn stage 1 tune for a good deal so. I'm going to stick with this as getting the DME bench unlocked is a pain and I don't want to have to deal with this ever again. I'm just going to go with most Carbahn/Dinan stuff because of the lack of hassle. I can't reiterate enough, Kenneth and Felix at Southpoint BMW have been freaking awesome. They are both car guys and understand what it means to do what we enjoy. They shot the shit with me for a while and we discussed the other options I could do to my car and they tried to help me in every way. I'll let you guys know what the deal is as we go but as far as it's going...I'm pissed I fucked up my car because I'm an idiot, but the service and how things have been handled so far as amazing.
Appreciate 1
BGxNYC53.00
      02-23-2021, 04:28 PM   #26
WeDclOwN
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: x3 m40

You should try contacting Alex@ alpine motorsport, I flashed the DME when I didn't know the previous owner had it bench unlocked, and that basically bricked the whole thing, can't read via obd at all. I don't think you can really 'fry or overheat' ur DME.
You'll just have to take off the DME under the intake manifold (PITA) and send it out.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2021, 07:33 PM   #27
hworang00
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeDclOwN View Post
You should try contacting Alex@ alpine motorsport, I flashed the DME when I didn't know the previous owner had it bench unlocked, and that basically bricked the whole thing, can't read via obd at all. I don't think you can really 'fry or overheat' ur DME.
You'll just have to take off the DME under the intake manifold (PITA) and send it out.
I already told them to fix it so I'll follow through...if anything, maybe I'll send it off and then have someone fix it and sell it? I don't know if there's a market for it but yeah...
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2021, 08:24 PM   #28
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

I believe that even though your DME will be "new" they should code it to the last date they have on file in the computer. This happened when I fried my DME last November...I was so worried but they gave me the old version, even though the build date on the new DME was after the dreaded hard lock date!

Call your SA and ask that the Engineer request to keep the old software versions and DON'T UPDATE. This should keep your DME unlocked. Dzenan, Serge and the OTF boys can transfer over your license once you connect to the new DME and read them the versions.
      02-23-2021, 09:33 PM   #29
hworang00
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopJimmy View Post
I believe that even though your DME will be "new" they should code it to the last date they have on file in the computer. This happened when I fried my DME last November...I was so worried but they gave me the old version, even though the build date on the new DME was after the dreaded hard lock date!

Call your SA and ask that the Engineer request to keep the old software versions and DON'T UPDATE. This should keep your DME unlocked. Dzenan, Serge and the OTF boys can transfer over your license once you connect to the new DME and read them the versions.
Hmmm, yeah I'll ask...I'll let you guys know what comes up.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2021, 10:54 PM   #30
hworang00
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Ok, so I talked to my SA and Technician but they both told me that they had to update it to put it back in my car, something to do with the new software from BMW. Bummer BUT.......the Carbahn tune is amazing. SIMPLY more power than the OTS BM3 Stage 1 tune. I don't like the fact that I can't change it around on my own and I can't flash the transmission but like I said...it hits like a truck. The car feels COMPLETELY different with the Carbahn Stage 1. It sounds crazy, but I'm shocked at how different it feels. If people are on the fence about this tune/package...go for it. You won't regret it. I definitely don't coming from BM3. Also, the burbles aren't as aggressive and are a little more subtle, could be a plus or minus but yeah...love it.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2021, 11:49 PM   #31
thestimp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 X3MC MBB - C-17 Globemaster

Garage List
2022 X3mC  [10.00]
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Just read all of this, if you force an Istep update your car should be fine bmw team can help do this or any remote coder can. Also your battery is hard to kill, just high amp charge it. If you can kill a lithium, you have skill, draining it doesnt kill it, get a high amp charger and leave it for a while.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2021, 04:26 AM   #32
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

How in the hell does flashing the trans lead to a DME overheating and frying
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2021, 05:42 PM   #33
hworang00
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestimp View Post
Just read all of this, if you force an Istep update your car should be fine bmw team can help do this or any remote coder can. Also your battery is hard to kill, just high amp charge it. If you can kill a lithium, you have skill, draining it doesnt kill it, get a high amp charger and leave it for a while.
Yeah I guess I forgot to mention, the battery was fine. The low voltage warning was just tripped and it was recovered without issue.
Appreciate 1
thestimp969.00
      03-01-2021, 05:44 PM   #34
hworang00
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsepower_and_hounds View Post
How in the hell does flashing the trans lead to a DME overheating and frying
No clue...I have the DME that they replaced. May end up trying to get it fixed and then sell it or throw my racing tune on it? I'm not sure what I'll do with it...if it's dead, then I'll use it as a center piece or paper weight or something, haha. I think they said it just fried a fuse or something on the board itself...I did like...rapid flash it multiple times and tried to get it to work...sometimes simple things are not meant to be used by dumb people like me.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2021, 07:01 PM   #35
thestimp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 X3MC MBB - C-17 Globemaster

Garage List
2022 X3mC  [10.00]
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hworang00 View Post
Yeah I guess I forgot to mention, the battery was fine. The low voltage warning was just tripped and it was recovered without issue.
Nice glad it worked out. I bricked my car too when I was flashing and doing things, charger was never plugged in. BM3 was able to reflash istep and recover the car, but the battery had to hit a certain voltage before car allowed it to be used. Crazy engineering.... if the damn dme was easier to get to.....
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2021, 09:12 AM   #36
hworang00
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestimp View Post
Nice glad it worked out. I bricked my car too when I was flashing and doing things, charger was never plugged in. BM3 was able to reflash istep and recover the car, but the battery had to hit a certain voltage before car allowed it to be used. Crazy engineering.... if the damn dme was easier to get to.....
Yeah it's pretty intense, BMW quoted me ~600 for getting to the DME. Haha, but I will say this...now that the car is squared away...I LOVE what was done to it. Wish it hadn't cost me as much but yeah...love it.
Appreciate 0