ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

02-26-2019, 11:41 AM   #1
coldfish
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 2018 M3 F80

Hi,

I am thinking to get ESS Silicon CP. Need a bit help here for me to decide.

Does anyone with ESS CP know whether it will swell during heavy load ? I heard from someone that some silicone CP with swell 50% larger when running on dyno.....

I know it has larger diameter and I really dont want it to rub other parts when driving hard.

Thank you !

Update: bought ESS CP, works great so far !
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 01:02 PM   #2
Dippydo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 M8 Comp

Garage List
2012 BMW  [1.00]
Just get the aluminum ones. Don't have to worry about swelling and the difference in heat is minimal. Burger is running an intro special on their new charge pipes for 279. Just ordered mine today. Can't beat that.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 07:37 PM   #3
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Im not familiar with the ESS charge pipe, i do recommend VRSF CP.
offered with lifetime warranty

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2019, 02:00 AM   #4
Justin.AutoTalent
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

ESS is great, but if you ever plan on going meth you have to change it out. The silicone charge pipes are actually the better route as they will expand if needed under the pressure from the boost and they do not retain heat like metal.
Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow11468.50
      02-27-2019, 11:49 AM   #5
tom @ eas
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldfish View Post
Hi,

Does anyone with ESS CP know whether it will swell during heavy load ? I heard from someone that some silicone CP with swell 50% larger when running on dyno.....

I know it has larger diameter and I really dont want it to rub other parts when driving hard.

Thank you !
Maybe on cheap eBay 2/3 ply hoses. ESS uses strong 5-ply silicone for no swelling at all. ESS are among the best charge pipes on the market today.

Always in stock, let me know when ready for a set.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow11468.50
      02-28-2019, 10:51 AM   #6
chaycelance
Rep
Drives: 2017 f80 m3

Quote:
Hi,

Thank you !
We have the ESS silicon on our f80 haven't seen any swelling issues but they do kinda break in I guess you could call it? We blew on off a few months after install (pushing harder than normal) just needed to tighten the clamps again and a year later haven't had any issues.

only complaint with the dinan intake we had you do get a little bit tighter fit than I would like to the box
Appreciate 1
      02-28-2019, 04:18 PM   #7
coldfish
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaycelance View Post
Quote:
Hi,

Thank you !
We have the ESS silicon on our f80 haven't seen any swelling issues but they do kinda break in I guess you could call it? We blew on off a few months after install (pushing harder than normal) just needed to tighten the clamps again and a year later haven't had any issues.

only complaint with the dinan intake we had you do get a little bit tighter fit than I would like to the box
Is your car stock, ZCP or tuned ?

I know with ess CP, it will be quite tight around intake box.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2019, 08:58 PM   #8
chaycelance
Rep
Drives: 2017 f80 m3

Quote:
Is your car stock, ZCP or tuned ?

I know with ess CP, it will be quite tight around intake box.
We are running a stage 3 Dinan set up on the car right now.
Appreciate 1
      03-01-2019, 10:20 PM   #9
gman_newyork
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Garage List
2020 BMW X3MC   [0.00]
2018 BMW X5M  [0.00]
2015 BMW M3 Non ZCP  [0.00]
Quote:
Hi,

Thank you !
ESS are a great silicone option. You need to decide what your goals are for the car. Will you want to run methanol injection before the top mount intercooler if so you need a charge pipe with a bung.

I'm FBO E85 tuned utilizing ESS charge pipes as I have no interest injecting methanol via charge pipes. I was more concerned about heat soak so that is why I went with ESS. I also installed an aftermarket J-Pipe with a bung for future meth if wanted/needed for cooling.

The ESS have never slipped and are easy to install due to their flexibility. They also allow for easier access to spark plugs as you don't have to uninstall the entire charge pipe to access, simply disconnect at the top mount intercooler and change plugs.

I have not noticed any swelling while on the dyno but never placed a dial caliper on them during a dyno pull as that's a bit dangerous. They definitely don't swell visually.

Please note there are other silicone CP's that are competitively priced such as Vargas which are 7 ply.

I highly recommend that you think about what you are trying to achieve and that will help with your decision. If it's purely price then aluminum is approximately $50 cheaper.

http://performance.vargasturbo.com/bmw-products/s55/
Appreciate 1
      03-02-2019, 06:22 AM   #10
coldfish
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman_newyork View Post
Quote:
Hi,

Thank you !
ESS are a great silicone option. You need to decide what your goals are for the car. Will you want to run methanol injection before the top mount intercooler if so you need a charge pipe with a bung.

I'm FBO E85 tuned utilizing ESS charge pipes as I have no interest injecting methanol via charge pipes. I was more concerned about heat soak so that is why I went with ESS. I also installed an aftermarket J-Pipe with a bung for future meth if wanted/needed for cooling.

The ESS have never slipped and are easy to install due to their flexibility. They also allow for easier access to spark plugs as you don't have to uninstall the entire charge pipe to access, simply disconnect at the top mount intercooler and change plugs.

I have not noticed any swelling while on the dyno but never placed a dial caliper on them during a dyno pull as that's a bit dangerous. They definitely don't swell visually.

Please note there are other silicone CP's that are competitively priced such as Vargas which are 7 ply.

I highly recommend that you think about what you are trying to achieve and that will help with your decision. If it's purely price then aluminum is approximately $50 cheaper.

Thank you !

Any recommendation on J pipe ?
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2019, 07:02 AM   #11
dubsesd
#dubspec
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 X5/ 2016 F80 M3 INDVL

i love my ess charge pipes. these are quality made

MPE / M Performance & Carbon package / KW v3 / 20" HRE R101LW / 20" HRE 527s / Michelin PSS / 20% tint / 3d Design / Streckenn splitters / OEM GTS hood / EAS Carbon seatbacks / Carbon RKP sideskirt / Bootmod3 / M Performance Tri color alcantara / AWE S Flow
instagram: @ dubsesd
Appreciate 2
      03-02-2019, 07:57 AM   #12
gman_newyork
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Garage List
2020 BMW X3MC   [0.00]
2018 BMW X5M  [0.00]
2015 BMW M3 Non ZCP  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gman_newyork View Post
Quote:
Hi,

Thank you !

Thank you !

Any recommendation on J pipe ?
Any recommendation on J pipe ?[/QUOTE]

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1517294
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2021, 08:51 PM   #13
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M3 ZCP DCT

Anyone know if ESS charge pipes are made in USA, Europe or elsewhere? Can’t seem to find the answer anywhere.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2021, 09:21 AM   #14
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellokitty View Post
Anyone know if ESS charge pipes are made in USA, Europe or elsewhere? Can’t seem to find the answer anywhere.
No clue to be honest, call them and let us know

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 1
hellokitty2894.00
      11-29-2021, 12:23 PM   #15
tom @ eas
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellokitty View Post
Manufactured in Norway.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 2
      12-01-2021, 09:15 AM   #16
Commanderwiggin
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C - X3M - Turbo E46 M3 - 45E

Love my ESS Charge pipes
      12-01-2021, 02:38 PM   #17
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life