ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

12-04-2019, 04:35 PM   #23
MetalsMan
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 Mineral Gray M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by x.shell View Post
The helper spring you have on your coilovers are not doing anything but adding stack height to your preload. In your case, this may be helpful since your spring appears to be pretty short. Essentially, it's acting like a spacer.

There is one benefit to this though. If you have a wide front wheel with an aggressive offset, then the spring perch may actually sit above the tire (like OEM). This will give you more inboard wheel/tire clearance; something that a lot of F80 coilovers struggle with when going wider than 9.5" on the front wheel. The downside is that you are limited in terms of how much you can raise the car -- might not be a downside to some.

On my set up, I have a 150lb or 200lb tender spring so it actually remains open while static. The tender spring allows me to have a dual spring rate (or progressive-ish spring rate) that benefits me greatly during daily driving. For the main spring, I swap between a 350lb 6" height spring and 550lb 5" height spring. This allows me to keep the spring perch right in the middle which gives me latitude when I want to adjust the height of my car. Check out my super sophisticated measuring tool. JK.

Absolutely correct. I run pretty wide front 295 series track tires and the spring being a little higher probably helps, but yes, I can't raise the cars front height any further and it's pretty low.
Appreciate 0