European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

12-11-2019, 10:07 PM   #89
DanMpower
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3s and a Red VW

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgere View Post
Truest best car of this generation is gulia qv

Chris Harris doesn't seem to think so.

It seems to me like most US journalists want to see someone, ANYONE, dethrone the king (M3) so any new challenger they seem biased against the M3. In the End the M3 will always prevail as being the best car at what it does. It excels in ALL areas, not just 1 or 2... that makes it the best.

Last edited by DanMpower; 12-11-2019 at 10:50 PM..
Appreciate 3
      12-11-2019, 10:18 PM   #90
icegrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

F' the car I'm in for a thorough type a review of Patagonia!
Appreciate 1
      12-11-2019, 10:24 PM   #91
clee1982
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvit27 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
You are correct that "emotional connection" is totally subjective. But if enough people complain about it there has to be truth to it. I don't think I've read a single review/comparison test that didn't mention the lack of steering feedback in the F8X chassis. The car feels so refined...to a fault.
Quote:
Originally Posted by No.401_Speed View Post
There is a familiar refrain in the comments of an Autocar & Motor review of the E36 M3 published way back in 1992 with those posted by Mark in his Savage Geese video.

You be the judge and when reading this writer's impressions, substitute the obvious emotional attachments he had to the E30 M3 with those expressed by Mark for his E92 in comparison with the F80. The pattern is repeated and the points virtually identical. Then place these into the context of your personal experiences and emotional responses to the F80/F82.

"The self-conscious '90s call for purity of line to replace the bulging be-winged machismo that so distinguished the M3 in the carefree '80s.

Take another look at that gear lever. M3s used to put first, not fifth, out on its own, in classic racing style. No more. It's a small point, especially as BMW says a conventional layout is the more popular, but it is significant.

Anyone who has driven the latest 3 Series will feel at home as immediately as any old M3 driver will feel alienated. I struggled to see the difference between this and the 325i Coupe that had been my transport for the previous week. Where was the thrill, that raw seam of inspiration that, in M3s of yore, captured your heart and mind as soon as you saw the car and didn't let go until you were safely home again?

It may have six cylinders, but the heart and soul of the M3 lives and breathes in this engine as much as ever before....but, the same cannot be said for the chassis and steering. The old M3's precision, it's essence of all that is good in a racing car's chassis distilled into a civilized road machine, is gone.

The M3 has missed the point. It is not the first car to mistake pace for pleasure and it will surely not be the last, but if you expect it to encapsulate the spirit of the true road racer as it's forerunner did so well, you are likely to be disappointed. I know I was."

I've seen this pattern throughout my lifetime. Some folks just can't let go of the past and acknowledge that modern applications of tech are better, while being a bit more sterile, than previous designs. We can expect that similar comments have been made as each new generation of M3 hit the show room floor.

I take my driving cues from my eyes and the seat of my pants and don't quite understand the mysticism surrounding steering wheel feedback. OK, I'm an amateur, I don't race cars for a living, so maybe I've never gained that insight. But if each generation of M3 has "lost" something of it's predecessor, then why is the F80/F82 so vastly superior to the original E30 M3. I once watched a documentary of an old M2000 fighter pilot bemoaning the lack of "feel" from his new F16 Falcon, so it's a common refrain.

Frankly, this is precisely the reason that I opted to purchase a modern, state of the art sports coupe versus spending bags of money rescuing a 1960-1970's muscle car. I prefer modern tech to old. In that the Savage Geese review devoted so much time praising the technical precision of the car and then had to revert to criticizing the car on the basis of the psychology of the experience and digging very deep to compare it to a Hellcat, well, that just spoke to me as having too few things to complain about.

It's a great car boys, it's unique, beautifully styled and expertly engineered and yes, one day you too will be able to draw comparisons to the F80/F82 when judging the G80's lack of feedback, sterile driving experience and loss of driver focus at BMW. I say, bring it on (just ditch that ugly grill!!)
Speaking from a racing/motorsport background, I personally don't get the heavy emphasis on hydraulic steering "feel". It's a bit more comprehensive to understand what a chassis is doing and if you rely solely on the steering wheel to feel bumps you're missing A LOT of data. But nowadays the EPS ratios are so much more intuitive with your hand movements it's a worthwhile tradeoff IMO

Especially in this context while comparing to the the E30/E36/E46 people forget the steering systems in those cars were so slow & isolated that swapping racks with faster ratios is a popular mod. Many of us have deleted rubber steering giubos and bushings to gain PRECISION back. Combined with the softer chassis and older tire/damper technology of yore, you're glorifying cars that have a ton of deflection compared to the new stuff that is so much stiffer and more responsive.

As always it comes down to peoples' driving ability. People like the older cars because the limit is lower and more in line with what they can feel. The more capable these new cars become, the more accuracy they can deliver at a much higher limit. But most drivers' don't have enough hertz in the seat of their pants to FEEL what the car can communicate. And this is the plight that modern supercars have - they have to be pushed to a much higher limit than can be done on public roads to appreciate. The refinement engineered into them to filter out the unnecessary 'noise' at slower speeds is what disengages those who can't see the actual improvements in how a car loads up the suspension, reacts to inputs, distributes the weight, manages the power, etc etc.
Right, but that's kind a problem, no way we can push modern car at 9 /10th on public road without going to jail or endanger someone... I suppose that's the appeal of bike, you get a lot more sense even at low speed
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 10:43 PM   #92
BeachieM3
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 Silverstone M3/CCB

My F80 was very tail happy on Super Sports, but significantly stickier on 4S's. Made a huge difference, but now that it's settled down and hooking up easily, I'm wanting some BootMod3 magic to push it further. I have CCB's also and feel that the ability to brake easily from whatever speed adds quite a bit to the drama and fun factor. Don't know what settings they were using , but I keep it in Sport Plus everything but steering all the time in the dry. I also start with exhaust valve open routine as well so I'm getting plenty of drama around here.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 11:20 PM   #93
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3CX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
At least they made the point of stating this problem isn't unique to BMW. Even modern Porsches are subjectively less "fun" than they used to be.
I can't help but wonder...what if this is all a grand plot by the carmakers...numb the models up to drive us into the more visceral, more sporty, more extreme CS, AMG S, RS, GTS/2/3 +!* whatever...keep 'em upgrading in search of the, "feel."

My 2002 basic 325Ci 5MT coupe went and cornered nothing like my 2018 F82...but it felt solid, tight and super-engaging. I love my F82, but I do seem to keep searching for that "BMW."
Appreciate 1
stein_325i25083.00
      12-12-2019, 12:18 AM   #94
georgere
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSXiMUS View Post
Quote:

Chris Harris doesn't seem to think so.

It seems to me like most US journalists want to see someone, ANYONE, dethrone the king (M3) so any new challenger they seem biased against the M3. In the End the M3 will always prevail as being the best car at what it does. It excels in ALL areas, not just 1 or 2... that makes it the best.
Lookup his subsequent reviews of f80 or other similar cars where he mentions shortcomings of f80. additionally F80 has lost many reviews by most reviewers to Chevy, Alfa etc.
drive Alfa and you probably will see stock for stuck it is more fun car.
Ps I loved my f80 for speed, DCT, front grip, most visual design elements, how traction/diff are setup. Hated steering feel, sound, turboed engine, complete lack of comfort for daily use (noticeable after awhile). After 4 years I started hating the car. I was about to leave the brand after so many years with BMW but then I met her - 2020 m550
      12-12-2019, 01:52 AM   #95
Humdizzle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: GT3 + M2c

Quote:
Originally Posted by F82PRETEND View Post
I can't help but wonder...what if this is all a grand plot by the carmakers...numb the models up to drive us into the more visceral, more sporty, more extreme CS, AMG S, RS, GTS/2/3 +!* whatever...keep 'em upgrading in search of the, "feel."

My 2002 basic 325Ci 5MT coupe went and cornered nothing like my 2018 F82...but it felt solid, tight and super-engaging. I love my F82, but I do seem to keep searching for that "BMW."
you wont find a 'bmw' from bmw anymore. But there are plenty of cheaper cars that are very involving to drive in my opinion. Toyota 86 / Mazda Miata / Veloster N.

Quote:
Lookup his subsequent reviews of f80 or other similar cars where he mentions shortcomings of f80. additionally F80 has lost many reviews by most reviewers to Chevy, Alfa etc.
drive Alfa and you probably will see stock for stuck it is more fun car.
Ps I loved my f80 for speed, DCT, front grip, most visual design elements, how traction/diff are setup. Hated steering feel, sound, turboed engine, complete lack of comfort for daily use (noticeable after awhile). After 4 years I started hating the car. I was about to leave the brand after so many years with BMW but then I met her - 2020 m550
thats true. The Alfa is probably the more fun car. But there are other things that drive a purchase besides fun. Like reliability / dealer network. That car and driver long term test pretty much killed it. 14 month test and it spent 3 of those months in a shop for various issues.

2018 Porsche GT3 6MT
2021 M2C DCT
Previous: Ferrari 458 | R35 GTR | F80 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3 | Scion FRS
Appreciate 1
minn1914021.00
      12-12-2019, 05:45 AM   #96
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humdizzle View Post
you wont find a 'bmw' from bmw anymore. But there are plenty of cheaper cars that are very involving to drive in my opinion. Toyota 86 / Mazda Miata / Veloster N.

thats true. The Alfa is probably the more fun car. But there are other things that drive a purchase besides fun. Like reliability / dealer network. That car and driver long term test pretty much killed it. 14 month test and it spent 3 of those months in a shop for various issues.
my buddies miata always seems to put more of a smile on my face than the f80. shit is like a go kart on the back roads
Appreciate 1
minn1914021.00
      12-12-2019, 06:13 AM   #97
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8 4.2 Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by G35POPPEDMYCHERRY View Post
my buddies miata always seems to put more of a smile on my face than the f80. shit is like a go kart on the back roads
Hasn't the answer always been Miata?

That car is begging for another speed version. Doesn't even need a turbo, just give it something like the F20C from the S2000
Appreciate 5
      12-12-2019, 07:16 AM   #98
Fuller
Major
Rep
Drives: F36 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by G35POPPEDMYCHERRY View Post
Quote:

The Miata is more fun because it's built solely for fun. The Miata is a focused sports car that weighs around 1000 lbs less than the m3 (or somewhere thereabout). You can't carry more than one passenger in a Miata though....or pick up groceries, or whatever. A car like an m3 is good for someone who wants a Swiss Army knife-like car. It's a car that can perform the daily grind and perform on a track. More importantly, it's car that allows one to have a smile on occasion during the daily grind. You can experience it everyday, not just on sunny weekends (depending on how bad your daily commute is).
Appreciate 1
530iDriver1707.50
      12-12-2019, 07:39 AM   #99
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 24 Z06, 23 CT4VBW, 22 PFinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuller View Post
The Miata is more fun because it's built solely for fun. The Miata is a focused sports car that weighs around 1000 lbs less than the m3 (or somewhere thereabout). You can't carry more than one passenger in a Miata though....or pick up groceries, or whatever. A car like an m3 is good for someone who wants a Swiss Army knife-like car. It's a car that can perform the daily grind and perform on a track. More importantly, it's car that allows one to have a smile on occasion during the daily grind. You can experience it everyday, not just on sunny weekends (depending on how bad your daily commute is).
Which, is funny because most people (90%?) only use them as a fast DD and they never even sniff a track.
Appreciate 2
      12-12-2019, 07:56 AM   #100
The Outrage
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xDrive

SavageGeese top five sports cars of all time:
  1. 1996 Honda Civic EX (mediocre)
  2. 1999 Honda S2000 (revs too high, like a motorcycle, too much fluff)
  3. 2004 Honda S2000 (revs too low, like a tractor, too much fluff)
  4. 2000 Ariel Atom (lacking in visceral excitement, too much fluff)
  5. 2012 Hyundai Veloster (too many doors, too much fluff)
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2019, 09:34 AM   #101
Richbot
Major General
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvit27 View Post
Speaking from a racing/motorsport background, I personally don't get the heavy emphasis on hydraulic steering "feel". It's a bit more comprehensive to understand what a chassis is doing and if you rely solely on the steering wheel to feel bumps you're missing A LOT of data. But nowadays the EPS ratios are so much more intuitive with your hand movements it's a worthwhile tradeoff IMO

Especially in this context while comparing to the the E30/E36/E46 people forget the steering systems in those cars were so slow & isolated that swapping racks with faster ratios is a popular mod. Many of us have deleted rubber steering giubos and bushings to gain PRECISION back. Combined with the softer chassis and older tire/damper technology of yore, you're glorifying cars that have a ton of deflection compared to the new stuff that is so much stiffer and more responsive.

As always it comes down to peoples' driving ability. People like the older cars because the limit is lower and more in line with what they can feel. The more capable these new cars become, the more accuracy they can deliver at a much higher limit. But most drivers' don't have enough hertz in the seat of their pants to FEEL what the car can communicate. And this is the plight that modern supercars have - they have to be pushed to a much higher limit than can be done on public roads to appreciate. The refinement engineered into them to filter out the unnecessary 'noise' at slower speeds is what disengages those who can't see the actual improvements in how a car loads up the suspension, reacts to inputs, distributes the weight, manages the power, etc etc.
yuuuuup

The thing the F80 bugs me about is the whole frontend is a bit dead and artificial feeling, at least the one I drove on 18's/PSS was. It felt very much like there was an extra step somewhere in there sorting out how much to tell me about what the front tires are doing. I think that feeling may be the auto-damping/hysteresis program in the electric motor - that judder and grind you get through the wheel also comes through the pedals and the chassis - the steering was accurate but I couldn't get a read on what my next input would do, if that makes sense. It's a car dominated by what you can do with the tail and that's not a bad thing - the front is pretty damn well stuck from the factory which is impressive considering all the understeering messes BMW has sold us before - the steering isn't great but so much about it is that the tradeoffs are worth it. And the front end really is NAILED down compared to the old cars.

Anyway, once you put a proper wide front tire on the front of an FR car, feel starts to give way to how hard you can chuck it in without the back end coming around on you so your attention is all back in the back and the new car wrist-flick slide correction is such a huge improvement from the 90's and especially, the godawful E30 or even worse, unassisted Miata steering - lots of feel, needs a steering wheel spinner. Great fun on a road, liability on track

I've driven the Giulia, the C-class, but haven't tried the RCF - I get the feeling from other lexiii the RCF steering might be the one I like the most. Giulia's steering was good and sharp, but it was on cup tires soooo of course it was. F80's is right in there somewhere. It's not bad. It's just not a Porsche which makes sense, the frontend has to deal with a lot more

And, mommas, don't let your babies grow up to put too much rear tire on their cars, let them have driftos and donuts and such

Last edited by Richbot; 12-12-2019 at 09:52 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2019, 09:45 AM   #102
M3GymNut
Major
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3Comp

Quote:
From a pure driving perspective I'd have to respectfully agree. The QV is a thrill to drive and hopefully BMW takes notice because Alfa Romeo is an infotainment and some refinements here and there from being the sports sedan to get. If you haven't driven one drive one, it's that good.
Appreciate 1
georgere585.50
      12-12-2019, 10:01 AM   #103
M3GymNut
Major
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3Comp

Quote:
That car and driver car was literally one of the first models. Since then AR has done the necessary improvements to the vehicle. A QV now is just as reliable as an M3. Can't knock it until you try it and/or do the necessary research to see that they're take in rate is about the same as MERC or BMW. One thing I will say and agree with you is that dealer network is extremely lacking on some of them not all. The dealerships where AR is with Masserati are the ones to go to.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2019, 10:24 AM   #104
Richbot
Major General
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E90

The giulia is designed for some other species to operate, maybe one without elbows. Your mileage may vary, everyone's arms and legs are different, but I'm pretty average and I couldn't find a decent driving position that didn't also put some extremity of my body at some weird angle or in contact with something it shouldn't be contacting. EVen if they fixed all of the dealer network and reliability issues (and they're not gone, not entirely anyway, if my neighbor's '19 is a guide) I don't think I'd want to live with it every day

Pretty though. I think the S55 sounds better *ducks*
      12-12-2019, 12:41 PM   #105
JoeFromPA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 AW M3 6MT Stripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by minn19 View Post
Scales and weights are all over the place. My MT ZCP M3 with CF roof just extended leather and exec was 36XX. My base M4 CS (lightest version) came in at 3630. Minus 60 pounds for the DCT penalty still puts it in high 35XX. I really don’t see how a non CS M3 gets into the 34XX. M2s are barely that.

Edit: Both were on the same scales done at a BMW dealership by the shop foreman who is a long time BMW track rat/fan. Both also had between half a and 3/4 of a tank of gas IIRC.
Still reading through but just wanted to say I weighed my m3 when it was only a few thousand miles old at a nearby scrap yard with a calibrated scale. They exchange money based upon that scale, so I'd say it's accurate within 10 pounds to be safe.

Mine was 3,450 with maybe 3 gallons in the tank. I have a stripper model with the only option being adaptive suspension, and it's an m3 and not an m4.

Technically, a stripper m4 with a manual transmission and no adaptive suspension SHOULD have been able to be weighed below 3400 pounds with 2-3 gallons in the tank.

Take it for what it's worth.
      12-12-2019, 12:49 PM   #106
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFromPA View Post
Still reading through but just wanted to say I weighed my m3 when it was only a few thousand miles old at a nearby scrap yard with a calibrated scale. They exchange money based upon that scale, so I'd say it's accurate within 10 pounds to be safe.

Mine was 3,450 with maybe 3 gallons in the tank. I have a stripper model with the only option being adaptive suspension, and it's an m3 and not an m4.

Technically, a stripper m4 with a manual transmission and no adaptive suspension SHOULD have been able to be weighed below 3400 pounds with 2-3 gallons in the tank.

Take it for what it's worth.
I wonder how much lighter the static suspension is and non leather seats are than. I have a very hard time seeing how my base (no options/steel brakes) M4 CS came in at 3630 with between 1/2 and 3/4 of a tank of gas while yours is that. My 6MT ZCP was 3680 with extended leather, MPE and exec package and again roughly 1/2 to 3/4s a tank of gas. I really don't see how it could be that far off from your car.

The base CSs should be the lightest M3s subtracting DCT weight of course. But, this isn't the case and not even close from what I can tell.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2019, 02:26 PM   #107
JamesGames
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E60 550i|F82 M4|F48 X1|VA STi

Quote:
Originally Posted by minn19 View Post
I wonder how much lighter the static suspension is and non leather seats are than. I have a very hard time seeing how my base (no options/steel brakes) M4 CS came in at 3630 with between 1/2 and 3/4 of a tank of gas while yours is that. My 6MT ZCP was 3680 with extended leather, MPE and exec package and again roughly 1/2 to 3/4s a tank of gas. I really don't see how it could be that far off from your car.

The base CSs should be the lightest M3s subtracting DCT weight of course. But, this isn't the case and not even close from what I can tell.
Check this thread for the weight gain across the model years for what it's worth
https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1365204
The early model year cars seemed to weigh the least, and gradually the weight increased a tad bit.
Appreciate 1
minn1914021.00
      12-12-2019, 02:32 PM   #108
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesGames View Post
Check this thread for the weight gain across the model years for what it's worth
https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1365204
The early model year cars seemed to weigh the least, and gradually the weight increased a tad bit.
I've seen that, but these numbers are well over a hundred pounds different. That is what I'm trying to figure out as to how. I don't have a horse in this race, but I am curious as to why the very large discrepancies.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2019, 02:58 PM   #109
Humdizzle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: GT3 + M2c

im not sure why the discrepancies exist either. Its pretty well known the sunroof and DCT add about 100 pounds combined weight. but after that its a alot of smaller things

other things would be the carbon driveshaft which was recalled and changed with steel on the later model cars.

ppf particulate filter for emissions

wheel and tire combos for various packages. the 19" 437m and the 20" 763m CS wheel weights are about the same. But the 437 wheel has less tire i'd imagine.

rear sunshade and its motor

2018 Porsche GT3 6MT
2021 M2C DCT
Previous: Ferrari 458 | R35 GTR | F80 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3 | Scion FRS
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2019, 03:10 PM   #110
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
im not sure why the discrepancies exist either. Its pretty well known the sunroof and DCT add about 100 pounds combined weight. but after that its a alot of smaller things

other things would be the carbon driveshaft which was recalled and changed with steel on the later model cars.

ppf particulate filter for emissions

wheel and tire combos for various packages. the 19" 437m and the 20" 763m CS wheel weights are about the same. But the 437 wheel has less tire i'd imagine.

rear sunshade and its motor
Neither my M4 CS nor my MT ZCP had the rear sunshade, sunroof and both were on 763s when weighed. My ZCP also still had the CF no PPF.

The heinous looking 666 wheels were/are boat anchors so that I get for some of the incremental weights. PPF/no CF drive shaft makes sense as well.

DCT I've heard between 60-80 lbs alone.
Appreciate 0