Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

12-11-2019, 10:40 AM   #1
RustySeatbelt
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 ZR1

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
BMW To Support Android Auto July 2020

Since this gets brought up fairly regularly here is an article from BMWBlog that was posted about Android Auto today: https://www.bmwblog.com/2019/12/11/a...-in-july-2020/

Pretty nice to see for those of us with Android phones who have been waiting. Looks like BMW will now be supporting Android Auto in all cars with iDrive 7 from July 2020.

Last edited by RustySeatbelt; 12-11-2019 at 10:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 10:44 AM   #2
Kilabyte
I'm Batman!
Poland
Rep
Drives: Mineral White M3 6MT

I wonder what the upgrade costs might be for some of us with older hardware.

S55, 2JZ, M48.00
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 11:16 AM   #3
Jim B
Wingman
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M4 Manual

It's about time!! This should have happened years ago!! Why didn't they support Android Auto from the beginning? There are far more Android phone than Apple iOS phones in use around the world. Samsung sell sells more Galaxy phone than Apple sell iPhones. That fact doesn't include Android phones from LG, Motorola, and and others.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 11:26 AM   #4
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim B View Post
It's about time!! This should have happened years ago!! Why didn't they support Android Auto from the beginning? There are far more Android phone than Apple iOS phones in use around the world. Samsung sell sells more Galaxy phone than Apple sell iPhones. That fact doesn't include Android phones from LG, Motorola, and and others.
Been discussed many times.

As BMWBLOG publisher told me after the last thread, of the 1.5 million unique visitors to their site each month, not to mention the 3.5 million social media followers, iOS blows away Android devices.

If Bimmerpost would reveal their stats, I feel confident it's the same.

Android devices are cheaper than iPhones and BMW does not cater to the cheap price crowd.
Appreciate 1
      12-11-2019, 12:04 PM   #5
aerostar
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post

As BMWBLOG publisher told me after the last thread, of the 1.5 million unique visitors to their site each month, not to mention the 3.5 million social media followers, iOS blows away Android devices.

Android devices are cheaper than iPhones and BMW does not cater to the cheap price crowd.
Uh... Galaxy S10 vs iPhone 11 prices are very similar. Not sure what you're getting at.

And a lot of people appreciate the Android UI vs the iPhone and the greater flexibility in apps.
Appreciate 1
SD ///M42992.00
      12-11-2019, 12:06 PM   #6
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerostar View Post
Quote:

Uh... Galaxy S10 vs iPhone 11 prices are very similar. Not sure what you're getting at.

And a lot of people appreciate the Android UI vs the iPhone and the greater flexibility in apps.
And those are a very small slither of Android Sales.

And yes, the "flexible" Androids Apps are very unsafe from hackability to virus and trojans. Unless living in a cave, it's impossible to not know that.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 12:48 PM   #7
Kilabyte
I'm Batman!
Poland
Rep
Drives: Mineral White M3 6MT

Let's keep it on topic guys, save the iPhone vs Android battle for another thread.

S55, 2JZ, M48.00
Appreciate 1
SD ///M42992.00
      12-11-2019, 05:12 PM   #8
RustySeatbelt
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:

And yes, the "flexible" Androids Apps are very unsafe from hackability to virus and trojans. Unless living in a cave, it's impossible to not know that.
That's only true when you're downloading apps from unverified sources. If you download from the play store then the security risk is essentially no greater. Yes Android source code is available as it is open source. Apple does not make it available. This again isn't much of an issue if you use verified builds. It is no different than what is happening in a majority of the software world as things continue to migrate to open source. Most of the apps you use on a daily basis are running some open source code in them whether you know it or not. Does this mean everything on Github is immediately compromised? No.

The world has moved on significantly from the days of old Android.

Also, I don't think the inherently flawed argument that BMW doesn't care about Android because Android users = poor people makes any sense when BMW obviously felt the need to support it now. Either Android users aren't all poor or BMW is now targeting Kia buyers.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 05:14 PM   #9
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustySeatbelt View Post
Quote:

Also, I don't think the inherently flawed argument that BMW doesn't care about Android because Android users = poor people makes any sense when BMW obviously felt the need to support it now. Either Android users aren't all poor or BMW is now targeting Kia buyers.
Of course they had to eventually support it.

China is their big play where Android phones are $100 -$200.

According to IDC, the average price of a new Android phone increased from $254 to $268 (in USD) Worldwide in 2019.

Of course iPhones are 3x that.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 05:20 PM   #10
RustySeatbelt
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Of course they had to support it.

China is their big play where Android phones are $200.
You do realize the phones that fit that price range won't be running the right OS or OS version required to use AA as stated in the article right?
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 05:24 PM   #11
RustySeatbelt
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:

According to IDC, the average price of a new Android phone increased from $254 to $268 (in USD) Worldwide in 2019.

Yes, those phones usually run old versions of Android which are skinned and only supported by the mfg now, not officially by Google. Some also run Android One which is different than what you see on the flagship devices from the major providers. The reason there is a lot more Android phones in the world is because saying Android is a bit misleading. It's not straight forward like iOS. Android on my phone is significantly different than on Samsung as the Pixel runs it as Google intends the OS to be used. Samsung skins it to fit their vision (which sucks btw).
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 05:25 PM   #12
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Of course they had to support it.

China is their big play where Android phones are $200.
You do realize the phones that fit that price range won't be running the right OS or OS version required to use AA as stated in the article right?
It's the first step.

Just like advanced features are first offered in automotive flagship luxury lines.

Then they are moved to the lower lines.

No reason any phone running Android 9 should not work.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 05:27 PM   #13
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Yes, those phones usually run old versions of Android which are skinned and only supported by the mfg now, not officially by Google. Some also run Android One which is different than what you see on the flagship devices from the major providers. The reason there is a lot more Android phones in the world is because saying Android is a bit misleading. It's not straight forward like iOS. Android on my phone is significantly different than on Samsung as the Pixel runs it as Google intends the OS to be used. Samsung skins it to fit their vision (which sucks btw).
Nope. It's built on Android 9 (for example) and then modified by the various companies.

Much like Linux.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 05:31 PM   #14
RustySeatbelt
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
It's the first step.

Just like advanced features are first offered in automotive flagship luxury lines.

Then they are moved to the lower lines.

No reason any phone running Android 9 should not work.
Agreed, but if history is any indication then it'll be a long time before 9 gains any significant mkt share. Right now it's only at 10%: https://developer.android.com/about/dashboards
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 05:36 PM   #15
kevolution
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 BMW M3

Would we be able to upgrade say an iDrive from a 2015 F80 to use AA? I think I would pay $200-300 to upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 05:43 PM   #16
RustySeatbelt
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevolution View Post
Would we be able to upgrade say an iDrive from a 2015 F80 to use AA? I think I would pay $200-300 to upgrade.
I don't think there are any plug and play upgrades available now. I'm also not sure how difficult the upgrade would be. Might be worth reaching out to one of the vendors like bimmertech to see if it is possible. Doing a quick search on the 5 to 6 upgrade, that one was around $2,400 though so I'm guessing it's going to be steep if it's even possible.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 06:49 PM   #17
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevolution View Post
OEM G series cars will require replacing the HU and no F8x HU will work with AndroidAuto.

Aftermarket solutions have been available for a very long time.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 07:35 PM   #18
9M71
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 | 6MT

Finally, Android auto! Been contemplating switching from a pixel to the new iPhone just for carplay but could never bring myself to make the leap.

Its great BMW is catering to us poorer folks /s. it's quite sad there's an individual who feels the need to preach this whenever Android auto is mentioned. Talk about insecurities in life.
Appreciate 1
Kilabyte3942.00
      12-12-2019, 12:30 PM   #19
Ralpie
Rep
Drives: E34 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9M4N71U View Post
Finally, Android auto! Been contemplating switching from a pixel to the new iPhone just for carplay but could never bring myself to make the leap.

Its great BMW is catering to us poorer folks /s. it's quite sad there's an individual who feels the need to preach this whenever Android auto is mentioned. Talk about insecurities in life.
I switched to the iPhone 11 to use Carplay and it was not worth leaving the Pixel. I am back on Pixel now and happier without Carplay.

In my opinion, Android auto feels much better than Carplay- I have an aftermarket HU on my old car.

Porsche has stated (using some serious paraphrasing here) that the impoverished Android user does not buy their cars.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2019, 07:07 PM   #20
///M Performance
Private
Germany
Rep
Drives: M4 Competition LCI

i've never used carplay because i'm a android s-series user but i think its nice to have.

but now the leading question is wheter it works in the f8x series without id7?

as far as i know the f8x series have id5(preLCI) and id6(03/17LCI and @07/17 with touch) onboard...

first with id7 too bad and to late actually for f8x drivers :-/
Appreciate 0