Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > F80 M3 / M4 Pricing, Ordering, European Delivery

08-17-2022, 08:51 AM   #1
Sloblk8
Private
Rep
Drives: 18 M3 Competition

Insurance question

I searched but didn't see anything from here in the US.

Was wondering if insurance for you guys was significantly higher vs other cars you had? I bought an 18 m3 comp in march and insurance went from like 230 a month for a 17 Corvette GS to the current 377 for the M3. Just surprised it's that much more expensive and wondering if that was the case for others.

Different vehicles I know but our 19 Raptor is only 149 a month.

Just curious of other peoples experience. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2022, 09:06 AM   #2
DocL
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

German vs American. Nothing more, nothing less. It's just another tax to own a great car.
      08-17-2022, 09:35 AM   #3
kwatkins12
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: YMB 15 M4

Mine actually stayed basically even going from a 16 Silverado to a 15 M4 and I am under 25. Keeping the same top coverages as well. I'd shop around if I were you progressive was usually cheapest for me but at my most recent 6-month renewal time they were attempting to up my rates 40% for "switching cars frequently". They tried this more than a year after I switched to the M4. I quoted Geico and it was significantly less expensive.
Appreciate 1
Sloblk832.50
      08-17-2022, 10:54 AM   #4
Sloblk8
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocL View Post
German vs American. Nothing more, nothing less. It's just another tax to own a great car.
I could be and probably am wrong but I'd like to think similar priced vehicles would be similar priced insurance barring theft, etc. If you think about it German engineering should make for cheaper insurance because the quality is supposed to be better, safer, I would think.

I was mainly asking to know if that was other peoples experiences as well as I figured insurance would have been cheaper than my Corvette as it is less expensive and less of a sportscar (sedan). Just a little surprised is all.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2022, 11:11 AM   #5
Sloblk8
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwatkins12 View Post
Mine actually stayed basically even going from a 16 Silverado to a 15 M4 and I am under 25. Keeping the same top coverages as well. I'd shop around if I were you progressive was usually cheapest for me but at my most recent 6-month renewal time they were attempting to up my rates 40% for "switching cars frequently". They tried this more than a year after I switched to the M4. I quoted Geico and it was significantly less expensive.
Yeah I'm shopping around now. Progressive might be a little cheaper it seems, 322 a month but that's without uninsured which I can't remember what uninsured coverage I have with State Farm. When I add that it's basically the same.

I like the car so don't mean to come across as bashing it or anything but it is a little shocking to have an insurance payment that's close to the price of most peoples car payment. And for a 63,000 dollar car. I do know it's not BMW's fault, just seeing if I was special .

Also for the record I have a clean driving record, no tickets, no accidents that were my fault and am in my 40's. Got rear ended twice in the last couple of years, very minor and again not my fault. Dallas drivers suck for the record, I am amazed daily.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2022, 02:25 PM   #6
DocL
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloblk8 View Post
Yeah I'm shopping around now. Progressive might be a little cheaper it seems, 322 a month but that's without uninsured which I can't remember what uninsured coverage I have with State Farm. When I add that it's basically the same....
You need to get "uninsured/underinsured" coverage. My wife's car was totaled a few years ago by someone who didn't have insurance. If I didn't have that coverage I would have had to sue the other person. Instead, my insurance paid us out and then went to sue the other person who caused the damage.
      08-17-2022, 03:23 PM   #7
Sloblk8
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocL View Post
You need to get "uninsured/underinsured" coverage. My wife's car was totaled a few years ago by someone who didn't have insurance. If I didn't have that coverage I would have had to sue the other person. Instead, my insurance paid us out and then went to sue the other person who caused the damage.
I'm sure I have it, need to make sure though because that would suck lol.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2022, 12:36 PM   #8
bigmixx11
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5C, 2022 X5, RAM 1500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloblk8 View Post
I searched but didn't see anything from here in the US.

Was wondering if insurance for you guys was significantly higher vs other cars you had? I bought an 18 m3 comp in march and insurance went from like 230 a month for a 17 Corvette GS to the current 377 for the M3. Just surprised it's that much more expensive and wondering if that was the case for others.

Different vehicles I know but our 19 Raptor is only 149 a month.

Just curious of other peoples experience. Thanks.
Most likely related to the fact that the M3 would be more expensive to repair.
Appreciate 0