GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications

10-05-2022, 08:09 PM   #1
derpimpkar
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3

tightening up front lip

i bumped a curb today and the front of the two middle screws that hold the lip up is "loose". it looks like it's still holding but i can't tighten it up. the screw just spins if i try. the back is still fine.

is there a way to tighten this screw up without removing the lip? there's a slight gap now and i'd like it clean again. i don't want to have to remove the lip since it's riveted in place. TIA
Attached Images

10-05-2022, 09:45 PM   #2
JAI///M3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2018 F80  [0.00]
Replace said screw with a rivet? Or a larger size screw
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2022, 07:38 AM   #3
derpimpkar
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAI///M3 View Post
Replace said screw with a rivet? Or a larger size screw
those would probably work but the lip is in the way of the screw. i'm checking to see if anyone has sorted the issue out before and has a trick or something.
      10-06-2022, 12:50 PM   #4
EezyBeezy
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW F[am]80 M3

I can't imagine any workarounds without having to remove the lip to access the middle mounting screws.

The plastic rivets are easy to drill out and installing new plastic rivets are just as easy with the 7 in. Poly Hand Riveter Kit from Harbor Freight.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2022, 07:45 PM   #5
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

Need pic from below.

Lip should not be blocking the screw required to mount the lip…wouldn't make sense.
      10-06-2022, 10:43 PM   #6
derpimpkar
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopJimmy View Post
Need pic from below.

Lip should not be blocking the screw required to mount the lip…wouldn't make sense.
yeah you wouldn't think so but the lip is actually two pieces. one "adapter" mounts to the bumper and then the lip mounts to the adapter with some screws and rivets.

you can see the back screw easily reachable but the front screw is hidden by the lip. you can see a little of it recessed in the picture. the bright thing is the lip.

i took the pics with the selfie camera but you should get the idea.
Attached Images

10-07-2022, 09:35 AM   #7
Nomana
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by derpimpkar View Post
Quote:
Need pic from below.

yeah you wouldn't think so but the lip is actually two pieces. one "adapter" mounts to the bumper and then the lip mounts to the adapter with some screws and rivets.

you can see the back screw easily reachable but the front screw is hidden by the lip. you can see a little of it recessed in the picture. the bright thing is the lip.

I hate to say this but would you mind drill a hole? Good for later on adjust too.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2022, 12:08 PM   #8
derpimpkar
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomana View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Need pic from below.

I hate to say this but would you mind drill a hole? Good for later on adjust too.
that's a distinct possibility. hole wouldn't have to be too big and could cap it.
      10-07-2022, 02:35 PM   #9
Nomana
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomana View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Need pic from below.

that's a distinct possibility. hole wouldn't have to be too big and could cap it.
Love the cap idea
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2022, 09:22 PM   #10
derpimpkar
Second Lieutenant
Rep

for those who find there way here with the same question, here's what i did.

the photo with the little nut off to the side of the lip reinforcement is what broke. there's a little flange on the other side that holds it in place and that is what sheared off. without it you can tighten up the bolt but it'll just end up seating against the bumper. it won't pull the lip up enough.

the picture with the bag has M5 tee nuts in them. i found them at home depot. the flange has teeth but you can hammer them flat. if you add a washer between the nut and the metal plate, the other side will be perfectly flush. i used jb weld to hold it in place. you can see the final assembly in the other lip reinforcement picture.
Attached Images