R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

03-27-2020, 05:51 AM   #155
behindthen0thing
Captain
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsr.n54 View Post
so I'm getting the insane performance crank hub installed today. I'm nervous because there's not too much information on them out there. For the guys who have it how long have you had it? Did you bump into any issues? What mods and tune do you have as well? Do you regret going with insane performance?
Had it about a month no problems here. I've never heard of anybody that had a problem with it
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2020, 08:21 AM   #156
LINF83
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
so I'm getting the insane performance crank hub installed today. I'm nervous because there's not too much information on them out there. For the guys who have it how long have you had it? Did you bump into any issues? What mods and tune do you have as well? Do you regret going with insane performance?
Full e85 with pure turbo stage 2 +
Have it about one month
It's one piece Desgin it should be good
Unless there's hardness issues like vtt v1 or you tech didn't installed right
Appreciate 2
chen0.00
      03-27-2020, 10:01 AM   #157
chetrickerman
ECUTek Master Tuner
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 YMB

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [9.00]
Quote:
There are a lot of people running them with no issues.
      03-27-2020, 08:59 PM   #158
dory_cs
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4CS

i pulled the trigger on it the cars at the shop right now. it should be out tomorrow night cant wait for the f80 paul sauce!
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2020, 01:12 PM   #159
TurboI6
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 YMB M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dory_cs View Post
i pulled the trigger on it the cars at the shop right now. it should be out tomorrow night cant wait for the f80 paul sauce!
What shop you go with?
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2020, 09:33 PM   #160
PhaedeDPGH
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Muscle View Post
I wouldn't run it. When deciding that I wanted to do, I bought a stock crank hub and gear set. It allowed me to see that many on the market didn't properly do their homework when trying to copy the stock geometry. Insane Performance's sprocket design is WAY off. Their sides are almost straight and don't help properly align the chain. Notice how straight the sidewalls of their sprocket is compared to the stock design (3rd picture) on both the timing and oil pump gear. It is only a matter of time until it grabs a side plate and takes out the engine. Also, the angle and radius of the teeth is not the same as stock. I'd be concerned with high-speed operation.

Bottom line is avoid Insane Performance.
Running pure stage 2+ for a few thousands miles at about 750hp with absolutely no issues What so every with the install. Any failures of hubs breaking because of material used to make them and not from slipping??
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2020, 09:56 PM   #161
chetrickerman
ECUTek Master Tuner
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 YMB

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [9.00]
Quote:
I wouldn't run it. When deciding that I wanted to do, I bought a stock crank hub and gear set. It allowed me to see that many on the market didn't properly do their homework when trying to copy the stock geometry. Insane Performance's sprocket design is WAY off. Their sides are almost straight and don't help properly align the chain. Notice how straight the sidewalls of their sprocket is compared to the stock design (3rd picture) on both the timing and oil pump gear. It is only a matter of time until it grabs a side plate and takes out the engine. Also, the angle and radius of the teeth is not the same as stock. I'd be concerned with high-speed operation.

Bottom line is avoid Insane Performance.
So you are arguing your speculation vs actual empirical data from people that have installed and are running the insane hub?

Last edited by chetrickerman; 04-04-2020 at 10:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2020, 06:42 PM   #162
pgriskonis
Enthusiast
Lithuania
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4

I just received my Insane Performance crank hub + VTT capture bolt and it's currently being installed on my car in the shop. I'll put a few thousand miles [won't take long] and i'll let you guys know my opinion.
Appreciate 1
LINF83852.00
      04-19-2020, 10:39 PM   #163
Msm1984
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 M4

It has been two months of VERY hard driving since getting the insane performance crank hub installed. I have been full stage 2 and driving my car extremely hard and also using kickdown. Absolutely no issues.

Three days ago I have also been tuned by cary running full E85 and no issues at all.

Wonderful product for the money and it was worth every penny to get the crank hub out of the way early and never even think about it again.
17 M4 ZCP
18 M4 ZCP ( Current )
Appreciate 2
LINF83852.00
      04-20-2020, 07:57 AM   #164
Jus.Static
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M5

Garage List
2016 BMW M5  [9.33]
Just ordered mine, will update soon
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2020, 08:30 AM   #165
Euromotive Performance
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 / 650I Grand Coupe

We've installed a handful of the Insane Performance ones on cars that were both stock and modified. For value I think its one of the best, Granted you can go Gintani but the majority of the ones we instal and keep in stock are insane performance, the last car we did it on was a stock F82, no tune, dp, etc, Just crankhub, chargepipes, and intercooler. Older gentlemen did as a preventive. We generally highly recommend doing the crankhub if your going to keep the car and go stage 2 and up, but even doing it stock alleviates some stress and future headache. Overall Insane performance makes a great quality piece that offers good value for money. If anyone has any more questions feel free to DM me or call the shop. 954-944-2779, IG- Euromotiveperformance

Do It right, Not twice

http://shopeuromotive.com/
Appreciate 2
LINF83852.00
      04-21-2020, 07:01 AM   #166
JustAnothaM4
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 GTS

Garage List
2016 BMW M4 GTS  [0.00]
The Max PSI Crank hub fix is no longer in production correct? "As of 10/21/19 the keyed hub kit has been discontinued"
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2020, 07:53 AM   #167
Euromotive Performance
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by project e46m3 View Post
The Max PSI Crank hub fix is no longer in production correct? "As of 10/21/19 the keyed hub kit has been discontinued"
Yep, too many competitors from what i've heard. Had a few installed a while back and never heard anything bad. In regards to the comment up top, we've installed many and never had any issues

Do It right, Not twice

Appreciate 0
      04-21-2020, 07:57 AM   #168
JustAnothaM4
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 GTS

Garage List
2016 BMW M4 GTS  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Euromotive Performance View Post
Yep, too many competitors from what i've heard. Had a few installed a while back and never heard anything bad. In regards to the comment up top, we've installed many and never had any issues
It appears SSR Performance has the old MAX PSI crank hub design and improved it using a 4 pin. What do you guys charge the the install?
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2020, 08:08 AM   #169
Euromotive Performance
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by project e46m3 View Post
It appears SSR Performance has the old MAX PSI crank hub design and improved it using a 4 pin. What do you guys charge the the install?
Pm me your number, or give us a call at 954-944-2779 or DM in IG, we can discuss pricing.

Do It right, Not twice

Appreciate 0
      04-21-2020, 11:30 PM   #170
PhatLyfe
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F83 AW/SO ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4justin View Post
Where are you getting it installed?
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2020, 11:33 PM   #171
Jus.Static
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M5

Garage List
2016 BMW M5  [9.33]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhatLyfe View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by M4justin View Post
Where are you getting it installed?
Most likely M&P Performance
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2020, 09:37 AM   #172
Curare86
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
The Maximum PSI hub looks solid on sprocket design and locking the timing gear to the hub. There is a slight opportunity to reduce the resistance to cracking due to cyclical fatigue loading in the hub to sprocket interlocks (dogs), but I don't suspect it will ever crack if proper base metal was selected. It looks like there is some surface prep to harden the teeth, but I can't tell what. I suspect it is something simple like shot peening, but with the right base metal, that could be perfectly fine for sprockets. I'd like to see a different locking method to the crank as dowel pins are typically a weaker stainless steel and don't have large shear values. Being that the distance from the center of the crank is small, they won't take a lot of torque to shear off. I don't know how much they need to hold, so they might be 100% perfect for the life of the engine. Vibration torque is something that is near impossible to measure, so I error on the side of more.

As for the Gintani, the one piece is cool, but not needed and adds considerable costs. It looks like they compromised on sprocket shape to allow machining to be done as one piece. Based on the black color, I'm guessing they are doing a nitride salt bath coating (also called a QPQ). This help get some extra hardness in the sprockets for wear, but the process only adds a hardness to a depth of ~.001". For comparison, the stock sprockets are induction hardened. I haven't cut them open to inspect the case hardening depth, but I suspect it is ~.005"+. I like the concept of how they are locking the hub into the crank, but I'd like to see a lock on on each side (0* and 180*). I like this method because you should be able to leave the radiator on the car during the swap thus saving money on labor, but I haven't seen their instructions. It also allows for a higher yield steel to be used to increase the shear value.

On the Vargas hub, the concept is interesting, but I've seen lots of interference fits like this fail on other applications with cyclical loading. The splines are inside the crank which is the area with the smallest radius, thus their load will be greater that if placed on the OD of the crank (I understand this isn't realistic due to the shape of the crank nose). Their use of a 17-4 precipitate hardened stainless steel throws me for a loop, but I have to assume they are using it for the toughness to resist cracking in the high stress geometry of the spline lock area. 17-4 PH SS is not terribly hard and does not wear well when compared to a heat treated medium carbon steel. I work with a lot of industrial applications that have moving parts and the 17-4 is always the first to wear. We have tried different heat treatments all the way down to H900 as well as some custom treatments and the 17-4 always wears before standard carbon steels. I think over time, the chain will wear down the sprocket (probably never become catastrophic). If someone has this and does oil analysis, it would be interesting to see if it shows any increased nickel from the 17-4 PH to confirm to deny this. It might be 100% fine, but I'd have to pass due to both the 17-4 PH base metal and the spline lock method.

The Insane Performance hub has sub par sprocket geometry. It doesn't have any surface hardening for the sprocket. It uses an odd grade of Russian steel (odd based on what we use in the US) from what they have released. As best I can tell, it correlates to a 5140 steel. Again, with what we have access to in the US, it just seems odd.

These are just my engineering opinions combined with 25+ years of turning wrenches and 15 years working in an industry that sees a lot of bad designs and failures. Do your own homework and make the decision you feel good with. To your original question, I were to buy one today, I'd wait until Maximum PSI had more back in stock. If I were wanting a no compromise solution, I'd wait as I'm sure there will be more on the market soon.
How about this new release from mmr? Thoughts? You seem like the man to ask
https://www.mmrperformance.co.uk/col...ture-plate-kit
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2020, 03:17 PM   #173
behindthen0thing
Captain
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curare86 View Post
How about this new release from mmr? Thoughts? You seem like the man to ask
https://www.mmrperformance.co.uk/col...ture-plate-kit
That's a nice looking peice.
Just doesn't pin to the crank.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2020, 07:58 PM   #174
Curare86
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by behindthen0thing View Post
Hey yeah!! *facepalm*
Appreciate 1
      05-09-2020, 08:26 PM   #175
MR RIZK
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: AW M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curare86 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by behindthen0thing View Post
Hey yeah!! *facepalm*
I'm not going to advocate which is better but if you look at what the European peeps believe, they don't pin the hub however put a capture and some additional torque on the main bolt when using the oem hub.

So my take is that this is following the same theory albeit with a one piece unit.
      05-09-2020, 09:24 PM   #176
Curare86
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR RIZK View Post
I'm not going to advocate which is better but if you look at what the European peeps believe, they don't pin the hub however put a capture and some additional torque on the main bolt when using the oem hub.

So my take is that this is following the same theory albeit with a one piece unit.
But then why replace the unit at all over just a CBC. Doesnt seem like its adding much more for 5x the price in their case
Appreciate 0