Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

09-29-2019, 11:18 PM   #1
elisiX
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: '20 X3M Competition

CCB Caliper Damage

Hi there

I’ve discovered an issue with one of my CCB calipers. On the drivers side front, the paint seems to have chipped away in multiple locations on the front facing side. There is damage in two locations on the rear side, though the rear side marks looks to be more like a gouge. There is no damage to any other calipers on the car. Only the front drivers side.

I had springs installed last week and I am unsure whether what I am seeing here is the installer damaging the caliper, or simply from stones hitting the painted surfaces. If the latter, why do all other calipers look perfect? Looking for any similar experiences or just your opinion on what might have occurred here.

When I went back to the installed to sort out an alignment issue, he casually mentioned that it was a big job and he had to take the caliper off the car. While I thought it od, I didn't think at the time to question why he did that, but I know it's not necessary. Could he have simply mishandled the caliper, hit it with a tool; or is it likely stone chips which have hit the caliper over and over in a single week period?

Thanks.

Edit.

The more I look at the pictures, I cannot explain how it’s stones. If it was one single event, I cannot see how the caliper would be damaged in 5-6 locations, front and back. A rock would have rolled around potentially and fallen out at some point. As the rock would move around, I don't see how it would hit the caliper over and over at speed in order to cause a chip each time it touched the painted surfaces.

If it’s damage from multiple events, as in multiple stones from many drives, why is only one caliper affected?

Edit 2.

A friend of mine picked up the car after the springs were installed and I can see the damage in the video, so the damage was 100% there immediately after the car was picked up. I also have photos from about a week prior to the car being dropped off which show no damage. So once again, if it's stones or metal, it would have had to occur during that single week period.

Further, there is zero damage to the inside barrell of the wheel, so I don't believe a stone or piece of metal was stuck and kept moving around inside the wheel.

Would anyone know what the paint code is for these CCB's?

2020 BMW X3M Competition ///M - ALPINE WHITE / SAKHIR ORANGE

Past: 18' BMW M3CS | 18' BMW X5M | '17 BMW M3 Competition | '16 Mercedes GLC250 | '16 BMW X5M | '15 BMW X5 M50d | '14 Audi SQ5

Last edited by elisiX; 09-29-2019 at 11:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2019, 12:08 AM   #2
Andrae26
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sakhir M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by elisiX View Post
Hi there

I've discovered an issue with one of my CCB calipers. On the drivers side front, the paint seems to have chipped away in multiple locations on the front facing side. There is damage in two locations on the rear side, though the rear side marks looks to be more like a gouge. There is no damage to any other calipers on the car. Only the front drivers side.

I had springs installed last week and I am unsure whether what I am seeing here is the installer damaging the caliper, or simply from stones hitting the painted surfaces. If the latter, why do all other calipers look perfect? Looking for any similar experiences or just your opinion on what might have occurred here.

When I went back to the installed to sort out an alignment issue, he casually mentioned that it was a big job and he had to take the caliper off the car. While I thought it od, I didn't think at the time to question why he did that, but I know it's not necessary. Could he have simply mishandled the caliper, hit it with a tool; or is it likely stone chips which have hit the caliper over and over in a single week period?

Thanks.

Edit.

The more I look at the pictures, I cannot explain how it's stones. If it was one single event, I cannot see how the caliper would be damaged in 5-6 locations, front and back. A rock would have rolled around potentially and fallen out at some point. As the rock would move around, I don't see how it would hit the caliper over and over at speed in order to cause a chip each time it touched the painted surfaces.

If it's damage from multiple events, as in multiple stones from many drives, why is only one caliper affected?

Edit 2.

A friend of mine picked up the car after the springs were installed and I can see the damage in the video, so the damage was 100% there immediately after the car was picked up. I also have photos from about a week prior to the car being dropped off which show no damage. So once again, if it's stones or metal, it would have had to occur during that single week period.

Further, there is zero damage to the inside barrell of the wheel, so I don't believe a stone or piece of metal was stuck and kept moving around inside the wheel.

Would anyone know what the paint code is for these CCB's?
I believe there exist a thread in regards to the CCB paint code, don't think anyone knows it or figured it out.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2019, 05:03 AM   #3
elisiX
Major
Australia
Rep

I've had a lot of feedback from various sources that believe the issues stems from the mechanic who installed my springs failing to fit the wheel without damaging the caliper. I'm taking it up with them though my expectation is that the caliper is replaced. Looks to be approx $3000 AUD for the part alone, or about $900 from ECS ($1300 AUD) if purchased online and shipped to Australia.

Past: 18' BMW M3CS | 18' BMW X5M | '17 BMW M3 Competition | '16 Mercedes GLC250 | '16 BMW X5M | '15 BMW X5 M50d | '14 Audi SQ5
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2019, 05:49 AM   #4
domino_z
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F-Pace SVR

Wheel has hit the caliper

There's no paint code, they are anodized. Sure you could mix up a colour for touch up

There's very minimal clearance, you really need 2 of these in the wheel when removing and refitting

Worse than chipping caliper is if you drop wheel onto the rotor, the ceramics are most fragile on the leading edge

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-schwaben.../001286sch01a/
Appreciate 1
Colinv64013.50
      09-30-2019, 07:06 AM   #5
Colinv6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 comp, Mexico / Opal

These threads put the fear of god in me, my rears are due new tyres soon and I’ll be removing my own wheels first and taking them into the tyre shop. CCB’s are amazing but they are a worry at times.

Instagram c1_cdg
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2019, 07:37 PM   #6
elisiX
Major
Australia
Rep

Further inspection reveals that the LHS caliper is also damaged, though not nearly as bad and only on the bottom facing edge. This is not noticeable from viewing directly front on or down at the brake so I am less concerned. I haven't taken the wheels off again to inspect the calipers fully however.

The shop has admitted the mistake though are expecting to paint the caliper to repair the damage. I've advised them that the only suitable resolution will be to replace the caliper on the drivers side, which is the most affected. I'm happy to look past the damage to the LHS if the RHS is replaced correctly.

Appreciate 0
      03-28-2020, 11:21 PM   #7
Moupe
Monobloc
United_States
Rep
Drives: '02 M Coupe - '19 F31 330ix

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by domino_z View Post
Wheel has hit the caliper

There's no paint code, they are anodized. Sure you could mix up a colour for touch up

There's very minimal clearance, you really need 2 of these in the wheel when removing and refitting

Worse than chipping caliper is if you drop wheel onto the rotor, the ceramics are most fragile on the leading edge

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-schwaben.../001286sch01a/
Thread bump. These calipers are absolutely NOT anodized. Anodizing does not chip, flake, or peel as it is not a coating or paint.
-2002 S54 M Coupé - Steel Gray / Dark Gray/Black
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2020, 02:44 AM   #8
elisiX
Major
Australia
Rep

To close this off, a brand new caliper was ordered from ECS, shipped to AU and fitted.

Issue resolved.

Appreciate 0