BPM
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications

04-20-2019, 05:47 PM   #67
4everkidd
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 AY M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurston View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesGames View Post
Great job, do it right or don't do it at all for the headlights.. I personally would never touch my headlights as I've had bad experiences since the early 2000s from modifying angel eyes (fit and finish, condensation, reliability, longevity) and what not, so props to you.
This was my thought. Looks dope but I would never purchase a car that has had this done. I'm just thinking of all the air pollutants and contaminants that get inside the lens from peoples' garages/living rooms.
Lol pollutants? You do realize the headlights are vented right? What about the fumes from your engine bay, road debris, rain, mud etc.

If the headlights are properly cleaned after being separated and then properly sealed there is no issue.

Not a lick of condensation or haze in mine and I winter drive my car in Alberta. Aka -40, snow, sleet, hail etc.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2019, 05:59 PM   #68
chetrickerman
Pro Tuner
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 YMB

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Here is a before and after

4everkidd887.50
SherM4n508.50
shay2nak1011.50

04-30-2019, 03:51 PM   #69
4everkidd
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 AY M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetrickerman View Post
Here is a before and after

Well done! Looks great
Appreciate 1
      05-02-2019, 08:21 AM   #70
BMSe92
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M4

Garage List
2017 M4  [0.00]
So I decided to give it a run and you were right... major PITA! But, came out looking great. Much more involved than I thought it would be.

Anyone else trying it, one recommendation I can make is... you have to remove the front bumper to remove the headlights. The bottom torx bolts are held in with alignment nuts. The nut is supposed to be held with a retainer so that it doesn’t spin but it’s a crap design.

The bolts are red loc-tight’d from the factory so as soon as you put force on it, it bends the retainer and just spins. Before attempting to back the bolts out, get a soldering iron, hold it to the back of the bolt where it threads through the nut. This will heat up the loctite and you’ll be able to back it out with a ratchet.
2017 M4 /// YMB-Blk /// 20” Rohana RFX10 /// 15% Tint /// M-performance Grills /// CF M-Performance Splitters /// CF M-Performance Trunk Spoiler /// CF M-Performance Front Lip /// RW Carbon Side Skirt Exts /// RW Carbon Rear Diffuser ///Color Match Reflectors /// Keyhole Delete /// Euro Shadowline Tails /// AA MidPipe ///
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2020, 06:57 AM   #71
F10toF80
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3

Anyone try simply cutting off the original lens and just replacing it with a new lens upon reinstall? I’ve been toying with the idea of sending my headlights to oneighty, bayoptiks, modemporium but most will charge you an extra $300 for a new lens. Sounds like all they may be doing (to make the job much easier) is cutting off the original lens. Knowing this, it makes it a little more challenging for me to swallow a $1600USD charge when a new lens is only $300 then DIY’ing the blackout process
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2020, 09:56 AM   #72
Megalo84
Italy
Rep
Drives: Bmw F36 420d

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4everkidd View Post
One at a time at 245 degrees F, 15 minute cycles, and took 3 cycles each.

Ordered cold glue working tools, and separating (reverse) pliers which really seemed to help
hi I have some doubts .. can you help me?
Did each heating phase of the single lamp last 15 minutes (3x5min) or 45 minutes (3x15min)? After inserting the new permaseal, do I have to heat the headlight again?
why the primer of the vht is not good and you used a primer for modeling?
thanks

Last edited by Megalo84; 03-25-2020 at 02:23 PM..
Appreciate 0