ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

05-26-2020, 09:28 PM   #23
Pic18
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18' F80 Comp, Spec E46

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3SQRD View Post
I’m not seeing any cracks - where exactly are they located on the rotor ring?

I’d say it was an anomaly because the V3 rotors are used in pro motorsports endurance including prototypes as well as IndyCars. The 911 GT3R and M235/240iR are factory built race cars that use PFC calipers and V3 rotors (Z54 caliper is used on the M235/240iR). The V3 rotors routinely survive 24-hour endurance races.
These photos do not show the cracks, rather they show that he circular clip/spring came out of the grove/slot on its own and was bent in several places. Here is a crack photo. I agree it was likely an anomaly, but first time I cracked a rotor (in several places) all the way to the edge, much less after only a couple weekends.
Attached Images

Last edited by Pic18; 05-26-2020 at 09:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2020, 08:00 PM   #24
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pic18 View Post
These photos do not show the cracks, rather they show that he circular clip/spring came out of the grove/slot on its own and was bent in several places. Here is a crack photo. I agree it was likely an anomaly, but first time I cracked a rotor (in several places) all the way to the edge, much less after only a couple weekends.
Would definitely agree that's an anomaly, if I didn't know any better I'd say the spring/clip wasn't properly installed in the first place!
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 09:30 AM   #25
OhioRiderAaron
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M3 ZCP

Nice DIY turned production Shadow! Glad to see they decided to make them available to the public as we all know the weak point of the F80 is the stock brake system!

It may be a dumb question, but is that a propriety pad shape, or can you use other manufacturer's compounds with the PFC calipers?

ZCP - Daily Driven Trackster ~ Gone but not Forgotten
1LE - Track Rubber & Garage Dust Collector
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 10:14 AM   #26
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRiderAaron View Post
Nice DIY turned production Shadow! Glad to see they decided to make them available to the public as we all know the weak point of the F80 is the stock brake system!

It may be a dumb question, but is that a propriety pad shape, or can you use other manufacturer's compounds with the PFC calipers?
We did the work so we thought we'd share. Even adding the brackets it's cheaper than the other top level kit.

I have no idea whether you can find other compounds for this bbk. I've never tried. I'll check and get back to you
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 01:26 PM   #27
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:

Edit: Yup - There's various flavors. Hawk, Carbotech, Pagid, Ferodo, Project Mu
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 03:01 PM   #28
OhioRiderAaron
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
Schweeet, thanks for looking into it! For those seriously interested, keep that in mind.

Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow11421.00
      05-28-2020, 05:13 PM   #29
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
Schweeet, thanks for looking into it! For those seriously interested, keep that in mind.
If I had a 1LE SS I would find a way to get these brakes to work for it as well!
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 09:17 PM   #30
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

Quote:
Cobalt will make custom pads so they’re another option
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 05:40 AM   #31
BuLoOoSki
Colonel
Kuwait
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3

Thanks for the helpful thread OP.

Since this kit has been developed for the E92, does one have to worry about running into issues with ABS or brake bias being off?

Secondly, I noticed that on the BimmerWorld's website the only color option available is black. Did you have yours custom painted or do they offer other colors but simply are not in stock at the moment? I'd definitely be considering these if they made them in a matching color to the BMW blue calipers (to match the rear).
2015 BMW F80 M3: Tractive EDC Suspension / Dinan Anti-Roll Bars / GC Camber Plates / KMP Dual Diff Mount / Girodisc Rotors / GT4 Brake Cooling Kit / PTF Flash Tune / Eisenmann Downpipes / CSF Heat Exchanger / BMS Charge Pipes
2007 BMW E92 335i (SOLD): BMS JB4 / Quaife LSD / Riss Racing DPs / Helix Intercooler / BMS Intake / STETT Charge Pipe / Forge DVs
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 07:03 AM   #32
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuLoOoSki View Post
Thanks for the helpful thread OP.

Since this kit has been developed for the E92, does one have to worry about running into issues with ABS or brake bias being off?

Secondly, I noticed that on the BimmerWorld's website the only color option available is black. Did you have yours custom painted or do they offer other colors but simply are not in stock at the moment? I'd definitely be considering these if they made them in a matching color to the BMW blue calipers (to match the rear).
they slightly move the bias to the rear, which is what you want anyway. When you see people run weird pad combos that is what they are trying to achieve.

My set is ancient, back when you could get them painted to whichever color you want. I got mine painted something that matches montecarlo blue as that's the car it used to be on.
Nowadays they are only black. Don't worry, your rear calipers will soon be dark green and will almost match the black ones

Edit: i matched my front pfc z54 bbk with the rear ap radical 9449 kit. It moves bias to the rear 9% which is pretty spot on target

Last edited by SYT_Shadow; 05-29-2020 at 02:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 09:04 AM   #33
OhioRiderAaron
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
If I had a 1LE SS I would find a way to get these brakes to work for it as well!

I just finished up my first event with the 1LE (and of the year) and it made it even clearer how insufficient the F80 steel brakes were. Now the Vmax wasn't as high in the Camaro, but damn you could brake later, and later on the back/front straights at MidO. Those who track a significant amount of days per year are doing themselves a disservice by not having some sort of BBK.

Last edited by OhioRiderAaron; 06-01-2020 at 08:37 AM..
Appreciate 2
SYT_Shadow11421.00
fanatic11018.50
      05-30-2020, 01:42 PM   #34
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pic18 View Post
Where’s the radial crack relative to where the rock was stuck in the spring clip?

However, I’d chalk this up to a random fluke event, if the rock is what did indeed cause the crack to initiate, and replace the rotor and continue to run this phenomenal brake setup with no worries. I’ve been using V2 and V3 setups for almost 12 years combined now without a single issue of any kind.
Appreciate 0