proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

02-25-2020, 05:43 AM   #1
VehicleFX
Registered
Rep
Drives: X5 E70

Dry sump options for custom track S55 build

Hi All, I have been searching for weeks for dry sump options for the S55. I know the factory oil system has been proven up to 2G's however my build is totally custom and I want to get the engine both as low as possible and also remove some/all of the OEM lean angle while at it. Does anyone know of any kits on the market I could look into?

I spoke with Dailey Engineering and learned they have done a sump pan and pump kit however it's not much use without a delete solution for the internal OEM oil pump which VAC Motorsports were working on but apparently ran into some stumbling blocks with and that's all I know so far. Am waiting to hear back from VAC now to see if it still has legs.

The only other thing I have come across which might be my fall back position is customizing the OEM oil pan but i'd like to avoid that if possible. The S55 E30 video that MotoIQ did mentions a version of this so it is possible, but I suspect this car isn't seeing high G's anytime soon.

Any leads or other ideas would be greatly appreciated regardless of location around the world. I figured Europe / Germany would have a strong aftermarket for this but didn't have any luck on google.de (probably due to language barrier).

Thanks, much appreciated
Andrew
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2020, 08:05 AM   #2
MaynardZed
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy

Garage List
Check with Achilles, they make a dry sump kit for the S54. Maybe you could modify it for the S55 or they could at least point you in the right direction.

https://www.achillesmotorsports.com/...-am-dsks54.htm

Lang racing also has a kit

https://store.langracing.com/lang-ra...4m-s54-engine/

FWIW, I've not heard of any oil starvation issues with the wet sumped S55, or of an F8X pulling more than 2 lateral G's for that matter. To each his own though. Good luck with the build. Sounds pretty cool, keep us posted.
WHP East Track: 1:04.880, Arizona Motorsports Park: 1:54.352
Road course laptimes for Porsche 911 991.1 GTS 7MT
WHP East Track: 1:02.770, Arizona Motorsports Park: 1:48.889
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2020, 12:47 PM   #3
Gomeler
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '16 M235iR, '16 M4 GTS

In the Subaru/ej257 world there are some solutions that use scavenge pumps for the sump + heads, and use a custom oil pick-up for the OEM pump that is fed from the external oil reservoir. Works fine on time attack cars running heavy aero + slicks. Pressure and flow aren't an issue on the ej257, the pump sucking air is the issue, so this solution solves that.

I imagine the S55 would be similar for most road-course builds, we aren't going to drastically be changing the oiling requirements, just need oil to keep flowing during heavy lateral acceleration. I wonder for an S55 if you could get away with 2-3 scavenge pumps in a custom sump and let the head drain normally. Pulling a nice crank-case vacuum might also see a little bump in power, I know ej257s see a bump on the dyno.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2020, 07:29 AM   #4
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

The S65 had an oil system that could do up to 1.4G
The S55 has an oil system that only does 1.3G. You need the GTS to get back to what the S65 had stock.

In the end it seems like plenty of S65s do over 1.4Gs without blowing up. I've gone over 1.60G many times on that platform. So I suppose the S55 can also take similar amounts of Gs. Mine hasn't blown up (yet)

For curiosity's sake, the dry sumped C8 Z51 Vette does 1.25G. And they said they blew up 'much fewer' engines than the C7 Vette which was also dry sumped.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2020, 06:37 PM   #5
VehicleFX
Registered
Rep
Drives: X5 E70

Thanks for all the responses. I kept researching and learned something surprising and interesting. Most if not all dry sumped S55 engines out there have been converted to port injection with DI blocked off in the head. This eliminates the vacuum and HPFP's which in turn allows you to pull the entire internal oil pump chain out. Pretty extreme measures if you ask me to fit a dry sump as the S55 was designed for DI. Head port flow, velocity and I think even piston are all done specific to DI. When you convert to port injection you have to push more boost to get the same power which is a reflection of the different flow required for port injection. Counter productive in my books, I guess I'll have to rethink this entire plan.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2020, 06:53 PM   #6
em3atl
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by VehicleFX View Post
Thanks for all the responses. I kept researching and learned something surprising and interesting. Most if not all dry sumped S55 engines out there have been converted to port injection with DI blocked off in the head. This eliminates the vacuum and HPFP's which in turn allows you to pull the entire internal oil pump chain out. Pretty extreme measures if you ask me to fit a dry sump as the S55 was designed for DI. Head port flow, velocity and I think even piston are all done specific to DI. When you convert to port injection you have to push more boost to get the same power which is a reflection of the different flow required for port injection. Counter productive in my books, I guess I'll have to rethink this entire plan.
Who has done this?
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2020, 07:59 AM   #7
whitstap
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 15 f80 m3

Accusump is always an option
Appreciate 0