Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

03-19-2021, 10:01 PM   #45
PhatLyfe
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F83 AW/SO ZCP

They took out the headlight washers in 2018 also.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2021, 06:16 PM   #46
Hoppyumr
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhatLyfe View Post
They took out the headlight washers in 2018 also.
I've read that was because of a European law that required them to have washers to clean the headlight surface if the lumen output was above a certain value (2000 lumens/each), which the older HID headlights were. The intent was to keep them clean and reduce glare, in this case light going in places the designed beams weren't supposed to go. Think of all those rivers that we're doing direct HID retrofits on their old halogen housing and how terribly bright the headlights were to oncoming cars - basically like driving around with high brands stuck in there on position.

So technically, the LED are lower output than the HID lights, and thus don't require the washers, so they dropped them. I'd imagine that being LED they can also far better control the light pattern and make significantly better use of the lower lumen output to seem equal in performance.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2021, 06:23 PM   #47
Taco_Bueno
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM BMW M4 F82

Is paying $4k-$6k more for LED lights?

Pretty much it
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2021, 06:41 PM   #48
Hoppyumr
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco_Bueno View Post

Pretty much it
And apparently you won't die driving it, if that matters to you at all. 🤪 Just kidding.

I would think being in sport or efficient would be best. The power is still there in those modes; the car just responds differently to the pedal input and maybe the big jump in power people talk about isn't quite as big of a deal if you can better modulate the pedal position.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2021, 07:58 AM   #49
PhatLyfe
Major
United_States
Rep

I would have liked the headlight washer to clean the bugs off the headlights.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2021, 07:59 AM   #50
PhatLyfe
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppyumr View Post
Quote:

Pretty much it
And apparently you won't die driving it, if that matters to you at all. 🤪 Just kidding.

I would think being in sport or efficient would be best. The power is still there in those modes; the car just responds differently to the pedal input and maybe the big jump in power people talk about isn't quite as big of a deal if you can better modulate the pedal position.
I've never driven in sport, it's either efficient or sports plus.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2021, 08:12 AM   #51
Tecnniqe
Sad ///M noises
No_Country
Rep
Drives: ///M4 COMPETITION

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Pretty much it

Efficient doesn't exist

Sport+ every day all day
Appreciate 1
NickyC17484.50
      03-23-2021, 03:22 PM   #52
PhatLyfe
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecnniqe View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Pretty much it

Efficient doesn't exist

Sport+ every day all day
Efficient exist on long distance highway runs, sports plus for city and in town / leisurely drives
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2021, 03:59 PM   #53
65fastback
Captain
Rep
Drives: every day

Quote:
And apparently you won't die driving it, if that matters to you at all. �� Just kidding.

100%

Sport with dct set at two gives a pretty linear throttle. I use this most of the time.

Sport plus and dct set at three with TC off is “kill you mode” in my 16 I love it, but use it sparingly mostly to remind me I don’t really “need” a tune.

Last edited by 65fastback; 03-23-2021 at 04:06 PM..
Appreciate 1
PhatLyfe985.00
      03-23-2021, 04:48 PM   #54
USSEnterprise
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 18 M3 CS

I’d buy the 15, its already depreciated, you will lose less in the long run. Slap a $595 tune on it (plenty of choices from CS/GTS mild to full ‘stage 2/3’) and you get all the benefits of the power delivery refinements of later cars.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2021, 01:28 AM   #55
jeep
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 40i,18 M4,19 530e,08 e70

Nov 2018 and later builds don't have CFRP driveshaft, does that make a difference in anyone's opinion?
Appreciate 1
NickyC17484.50
      04-23-2021, 08:30 AM   #56
PhatLyfe
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep View Post
Nov 2018 and later builds don't have CFRP driveshaft, does that make a difference in anyone's opinion?
I have a sept 2017 build for 2018 model year, it not like we can see the shaft anyway without removing the shields on the bottom. I've never bothered to even look.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2021, 03:43 PM   #57
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep View Post
Thanks is that 100% the case? If so I definitely have a CF one then on my 18.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2021, 07:14 PM   #58
F82///M
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: '18 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by N1rve View Post
The main differences I think are

10) Passenger Mirror no longer dimming

13) Text messages no longer readable in ID6 because of apple carplay.
If passenger mirror doesn't dim on your car it may need a repair or someone has swapped the glass for the regular one.

My 2018 has dimming on all mirrors, drivers, interior and passenger as well.

As for messages, I'm android user and can read messages or ID6 reads them to me, replying also works via voice or manual typing. I still have active connected service and will see in few months is it gonna change.

The only time it doesn't show is when text messages on android phone are switched to chat option to use wifi od data for text messages and both phones (sending and receiving) are on it.

To OP, I'd go for facelift model even if it has higher mileage, always did and will do. FL usually has more options as well due to some of them becoming standard instead of part of the package. There's always something, even minor changed that makes it look or feel more advanced.
Just an example, trim around radio and climate controls, whenever I see M4 with the old style it makes it look old and cheap.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2021, 08:47 PM   #59
6spd4lyfe
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Maybe it's just me, but for some reason the 2015 looks nicer than the other years
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2021, 08:59 PM   #60
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

I prefer year one actually... I also like the lack of silver interior trim around some of the pieces
Appreciate 1
icegrill2078.00
      04-24-2021, 12:53 PM   #61
N1rve
Racecar Driver
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [9.63]
Quote:
Originally Posted by F82///M View Post
If passenger mirror doesn't dim on your car it may need a repair or someone has swapped the glass for the regular one.

As for messages, I'm android user and can read messages or ID6 reads them to me, replying also works via voice or manual typing. I still have active connected service and will see in few months is it gonna change.

The only time it doesn't show is when text messages on android phone are switched to chat option to use wifi od data for text messages and both phones (sending and receiving) are on it.

To OP, I'd go for facelift model even if it has higher mileage, always did and will do. FL usually has more options as well due to some of them becoming standard instead of part of the package. There's always something, even minor changed that makes it look or feel more advanced.
Just an example, trim around radio and climate controls, whenever I see M4 with the old style it makes it look old and cheap.
I'm pretty sure no one swapped the glass on my new car LOL. Also there were threads about this as well.

Do you have Apple Carplay? My 2019 came standard with Apple Carplay and this never worked.

2019 BMW ///M4 - Alpine White | Sakhir Orange/Black Leather | M-DCT | Executive Package | 19" Black 437M Wheels | Carbon Fiber Trim | Sunroof | Active Blind Spot | Heated Steering Wheel | Adaptive M Suspension
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2021, 03:16 PM   #62
Hoppyumr
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I'm pretty sure no one swapped the glass on my new car LOL. Also there were threads about this as well.

Do you have Apple Carplay? My 2019 came standard with Apple Carplay and this never worked.

Apple car play never worked?
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2021, 10:10 PM   #63
F82///M
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: '18 M4

Quote:

I've missed that info about mirror somehow. Mine has it and it's an early build, June 2017. Whenever I'm getting out of dark garage into the sun all mirrors need few seconds to "wake up".

It doesn't have touch screen but it has Apple carplay, subscription used to have some crazy expiry date, think 2037 or something. Just went to check it on connected drive site and there's no more expiry date for Apple carplay or wifi, just a green check mark. Used trial for wifi and it works in Canada (some users believed it was available only in US).

I'll have to find someone with apple phone to test it if it works or not.
As for not seeing messages in idrive, I wouldn't be surprised if Apple had that option for messaging setup as a chat from the beginning. It wouldn't hurt to check text messaging options and disable that and then try it in the car.
Also from my memory, when connecting the bluetooth phone for the first time I think Idrive asks for permission to access contacts and text messages. It can be turned off or on in mobile devices settings in the idrive.

Last edited by F82///M; 04-24-2021 at 10:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2021, 01:35 AM   #64
N1rve
Racecar Driver
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [9.63]
Quote:
Apple car play never worked?
Meant to say I never got texts to work in normal Idrive. Only get it in Apple CarPlay.

Quote:
I've missed that info about mirror somehow. Mine has it and it's an early build, June 2017. Whenever I'm getting out of dark garage into the sun all mirrors need few seconds to "wake up".

It doesn't have touch screen but it has Apple carplay, subscription used to have some crazy expiry date, think 2037 or something. Just went to check it on connected drive site and there's no more expiry date for Apple carplay or wifi, just a green check mark. Used trial for wifi and it works in Canada (some users believed it was available only in US).

I'll have to find someone with apple phone to test it if it works or not.
As for not seeing messages in idrive, I wouldn't be surprised if Apple had that option for messaging setup as a chat from the beginning. It wouldn't hurt to check text messaging options and disable that and then try it in the car.
Also from my memory, when connecting the bluetooth phone for the first time I think Idrive asks for permission to access contacts and text messages. It can be turned off or on in mobile devices settings in the idrive.
I have a feeling when BMW added Apple CarPlay it removed the office part of Idrive so no more text messages and that kind of jazz. I tried to code it in but it didn’t work.

2019 BMW ///M4 - Alpine White | Sakhir Orange/Black Leather | M-DCT | Executive Package | 19" Black 437M Wheels | Carbon Fiber Trim | Sunroof | Active Blind Spot | Heated Steering Wheel | Adaptive M Suspension
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2021, 06:09 PM   #65
GP0256
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 MINI GP

I have a 15 and I love it. Feels like I control the car. CF driveshaft and a man traction control system that doesn't control the driver. Update to a BinnerTech head until control module and enjoy
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2021, 06:20 PM   #66
Mar48
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 M3 Comp xDrive - Atlantis

Comp package wasn’t available in 15... another difference (not sure if anyone else said it yet)

Past: F80 M3/Z4MR/E46 M3/Z4MC/Z3MR/335Xi
Appreciate 0