ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

06-21-2019, 07:32 AM   #23
Powerslide
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 ZCP

Let's put it this way - I only get out to the track 1-4 times per year - my '18 ZCP on the track is so fun I literally look forward to my next track session every day - and I review the video footage from the M Drive Analyser and data from the M Laptimer constantly.

Now take that and apply it to the CS which is even more capable...

Like others said above - swap out brake pads (I learned how to do it myself thanks to You Tube) and fluid (I use Super DOT 4 - which is the best brake fluid you can use without voiding your warranty - I asked my dealer if they could put synthetic brake fluid it but it apparently can foam up under heavy ABS braking - so they warned me that this would void the warranty).

Last month I took my '18 ZCP to the track with Pagid RS29 Yellow brake pads and Super DOT 4 brake fluid on my stock MPSS tires - the car did amazing and the tires held up better than I thought (I'm somewhere between novice and intermediate of a driver - so at my skill level I can get a few track sessions on the MPSS without camber plates and without destroying the tires - but I'm going to try the new Goodyear Eagle F1 Supersport R when they come out in the next few months - and which will not only come in 666M wheel sizes - but will also be much more capable on track vs. the MPSS).

Anyway - once you track one of these you won't be able to believe how you ever even questioned whether or not to go to the track!
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 03:42 AM   #24
petrolhead.
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezzracer View Post
I'll be honest. I paid the premium for an M3CS with the full intent of putting it on the track once in a while. Then I started learning about getting only 2 to 5 track days out of a set of tires, stock pads glazing to rotors, rotor shutter if you heat them up to much and too often, having to swap pads out every time you track because race pads squeal like a stuck pig on the street, and if you do get a dedicated set of wheels and tires you have to swap them out to a sticky compound kicking up debris and rocks to your paint , broken headlight covers inside the wheel wells, radiators clogged with R compound rubber balls , broken windshields. etc.

Very good point - I haven't come across a discussion about these things very often in car or trackday forums. Tracking a car can be quite costly for sure, the more expensive your car is, the more it will hurt I guess. And track insurance is another topic - try to insure a GT3 RS for a track day OUCH!
Appreciate 0