EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > UK

06-03-2019, 05:59 PM   #1
hawkerj96
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Convertibe

Are you even a petrolhead though?.........

I got an M4 GTS as a loaner for 5 hours today!!!!!! Made me think of this:

I was just wondering if it’s possible/ plausible to claim to be a petrolhead/ car nut if you don’t modify your car at all?

I think I’m well in to cars but actually now I think of it I haven’t modified my M4 and although I drive it fast and on some great roads I’ve never tracked it.

Are petrolheads the guys who wack an Akra system straight on, add some meth and get a remap and drive straight to the track?

Have I lost my assumed title of petrolhead because I’ve got a stock M4???
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2019, 06:19 PM   #2
M3ILANA
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW E36

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkerj96 View Post

I was just wondering if it’s possible/ plausible to claim to be a petrolhead/ car nut if you don’t modify your car at all?

I think I’m well in to cars but actually now I think of it I haven’t modified my M4 and although I drive it fast and on some great roads I’ve never tracked it.

Are petrolheads the guys who wack an Akra system straight on, add some meth and get a remap and drive straight to the track?

How high are you right now?
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2019, 06:59 PM   #3
GoodtoGo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkerj96 View Post

Are you sure you didn't add some meth?
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2019, 06:09 AM   #4
Colinv6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 comp, Mexico / Opal

Wtf... many petrolheads out there would kill for an M4.

That’s like saying, I can only afford a £2k hot hatch but I’m worried I won’t be a petrolhead anymore. Arguably you can have more fun in a £2k Clio cup, or civic type R anyways
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2019, 07:27 AM   #5
hawkerj96
Enlisted Member
Rep

But if you just buy a car are you really a petrolhead?

Back in the day when I bought a car I would constantly scroll through forums and internet pages looking at power mods and stage 1, 2, 3 etc and would add but by bit to the theatre of the car.

To me there’s a difference between ‘car enthusiast’ and petrolhead. A car enthusiast buys a car to keep and enjoy stock and thinks any modifications ruin the ‘purity’ of the experience. A petrolhead lives for improving power figures, 0-60 times, 1/4 mile drag times etc

Am I wrong??
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2019, 08:30 AM   #6
SteveChester
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Garage List
2014 BMW F82 M4  [0.00]
What was the GTS like?
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2019, 12:41 PM   #7
hawkerj96
Enlisted Member
Rep

It was absolutely lovely. It gets a LOT of looks.

I didn’t really get to punch it or push it round any bends as they asked me to be nice with it and I really didn’t want to end up in a ditch with it!

Very race car feel to it, hard ride, extremely agile - surprisingly quite different feel compared to an 18 plate comp pack M4. I can imagine on a track the GTS is an absolute weapon. We all know that the M4 is fast in a straight line but on the twistys this car would keep up with a 911 turbo s absolutely no doubt at all.

I would love to track a GTS!!
Appreciate 0