GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications

06-13-2019, 12:10 PM   #1
stevehifi
Captain
Rep
Drives: 17 F80 M3 ZCP

recommended tape options for installing CS rear spoiler

Hi Guys,

I'm looking to buy the CS rear spoiler but BMW wants $70 for a double sided
tape which seems excessive.

Anyone recommend another double-sided tape solution (3M) with the proper adhesive strength?

Thanks,
Steve
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2019, 01:24 PM   #2
yocubed
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 G83 M4

Garage List
2022 G83 M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehifi View Post
Hi Guys,

Anyone recommend another double-sided tape solution (3M) with the proper adhesive strength?

Thanks,
Steve
Quote:
Hi Guys,

Thanks,
Steve
When I installed my Mode Carbon CS style spoiler I used 3Ms automotive mounting tape like this. https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-...071&rt=rud
I would also recommend that you use their adhesion promoter as well. It helps to assure a good bond.
My spoiler had been on for over a year and is still affixed as firm as it was when I put it on.

Appreciate 0
      06-13-2019, 05:47 PM   #3
knightarmor
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

3M 5962 is the correct thickness. My wife paid the obscene amount when she got me the CS spoiler for my birthday (thanks wife!). The stuff provided was not enough so I am glad I had already planned to use my own stuff. I paid alot for a full spool of the 5962. I'd be happy to send you the spool so you can use what you need and then send it back. This stuff has a shelf life so it does no good just sitting here in my office.

I would also recommend putting a large pad down at each end (see link below). I've had the spoiler on for two months through some crazy rain and a trip to California and back (with about four power washes in between) and the spoiler still sits like the day I installed it.

See this thread for more info. https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1559451
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2019, 07:15 PM   #4
stevehifi
Captain
Rep
Drives: 17 F80 M3 ZCP

Thanks for the links... although i'm not sure I like the gaps at the end of the spoiler from the pictures posted on the thread. My oem spoiler lip is totally flush.

Was this a problem with the BMW CS spoiler being warped or not flush all the way through?

Is there a thinner 3M tape that you can use to avoid this gap?

Steve
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2019, 09:48 PM   #5
knightarmor
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

Quote:
Thanks for the links... although i'm not sure I like the gaps at the end of the spoiler from the pictures posted on the thread. My oem spoiler lip is totally flush.

Was this a problem with the BMW CS spoiler being warped or not flush all the way through?

Is there a thinner 3M tape that you can use to avoid this gap?

Steve
The CS spoilers (at least it looks like the ones in our other thread) have a slight warp up at each end. If not installed correctly, and with the correct tape, the corners will begin to lift up. I'll snap a photo of what mine looks like now but I can't tell anymore that there is an issue there. Probably because it's been on for so long and it's holding tight.

The thinner 3M tape will not reach the surface of the trunk lid, ask me how I know.
Appreciate 0