proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

03-18-2019, 04:58 PM   #1
afisherunc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 (Sold) @downf0rce

Brixton Radial Forged

Hey folks. I'm considering buying the Brixton Forged RF7s; however, I'm trying to get an understanding of their wheel certifications. Interestingly, their radial forged landing page (which covers the RF7) states this:

"Each wheel set undergoes a full Finite Element Analysis (FEA) taking into account curb weight, dynamic cornering fatigue, dynamic radial fatigue and simulated impact testing and is SAE, JWL and VIA certified*."

Note the asterisk - "*". Unfortunately, I cannot find on the page where the asterisk meaning is explained. It might say "not really certified, just kidding" for all I know. Can anyone point me to portion of their site where this asterisk is explained? Thanks!

FYI - I tried searching the VIA certifications site for multiple wheel manufacturers who have VIA certifications, but to no avail. Seems the VIA search feature isn't very good (or I'm a dummy), and I wasn't able to verify anything.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 11:47 PM   #2
TRYM3
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

I actually bought these wheels and canceled them, really happy I did. I ended up with another set of BBS's, a lot more money but worth it in the end. From my understanding they just threw Forged in the name but they're really just a flow form cast wheel. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 07:41 AM   #3
afisherunc
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRYM3 View Post
I actually bought these wheels and canceled them, really happy I did. I ended up with another set of BBS's, a lot more money but worth it in the end. From my understanding they just threw Forged in the name but they're really just a flow form cast wheel. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
That's correct, it's similar to the Vorsteiner flow form wheels or other wheels below the truly forged line. I'm looking more for whether its truly JWA and VIA certified due to the * next to that claim.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 07:53 AM   #4
ellipsis212
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
I'd consider use case as well before worrying too much about certifications assuming that your primary concern is safety. I've had some cast wheels in the past that were unkillable even in NYC.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 10:29 AM   #5
afisherunc
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellipsis212 View Post
I'd consider use case as well before worrying too much about certifications assuming that your primary concern is safety. I've had some cast wheels in the past that were unkillable even in NYC.
Yes, definitely. Just part of my diligence process. I might as well confirm the extent of the asterisk when comparing to other brands I'm considering. This is just for daily/vacation driving, not tracking, so I'm not overly concerned; however, the certification would give extra peace of mind. My impression is the asterisk information is not being intentionally hidden; however, it does seem these companies play with words on the extent of their certifications.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2019, 09:31 AM   #6
TRYM3
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

has anyone actually got a set yet? I know they were released end of February
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2019, 06:30 PM   #7
Expert@ApexWheels
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: M3

Have you asked the company directly? It is unfortunate that so many companies use vague language and made-up terms to feign credibility. I'd be interested to hear their response and reasoning for the asterisk, as well as why it's not addressed on their website.

The VIA website is indeed quite difficult to navigate, which is why we keep all of our VIA certificate numbers on-hand and make them available to anyone who asks (at least until a more intuitive self-serve online option is available).

We are glad to see more people who are in the market for wheels asking these questions. It is an extremely important part of keeping the industry honest and keeping dangerous products off the street.

--Dylan
      03-20-2019, 09:15 PM   #8
X801metalX
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4, 2015 911, 1949 Mercury

I ordered a set yesterday (9.5 x 20 front, 11 x 20 rear) and am going to have them powdercoated gloss white when they get here next week as Brixton wants an unreasonable amount. I did not ask about any certifications as they are cut in the Vossen factory and just assumed (my fault) everything was in order. I’m sure they are, but just in case I’ll see if I can get an answer to your question tomorrow.
Appreciate 1
      03-21-2019, 08:17 AM   #9
afisherunc
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expert@ApexRaceParts View Post
Have you asked the company directly? It is unfortunate that so many companies use vague language and made-up terms to feign credibility. I'd be interested to hear their response and reasoning for the asterisk, as well as why it's not addressed on their website.

The VIA website is indeed quite difficult to navigate, which is why we keep all of our VIA certificate numbers on-hand and make them available to anyone who asks (at least until a more intuitive self-serve online option is available).

We are glad to see more people who are in the market for wheels asking these questions. It is an extremely important part of keeping the industry honest and keeping dangerous products off the street.

--Dylan
Dylan - Thanks for your thoughts. Yes, I asked Brixton recently after the thread didn't produce results. Still waiting to hear back. I assume the missing info is because it's a relatively new page, and as an oversight wasn't completed with the intended asterisk info. For example, some of the links don't work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by X801metalX View Post
I ordered a set yesterday (9.5 x 20 front, 11 x 20 rear) and am going to have them powdercoated gloss white when they get here next week as Brixton wants an unreasonable amount. I did not ask about any certifications as they are cut in the Vossen factory and just assumed (my fault) everything was in order. I’m sure they are, but just in case I’ll see if I can get an answer to your question tomorrow.
That would be great if you can share what you find, thanks!

Last edited by afisherunc; 03-21-2019 at 08:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2019, 11:14 AM   #10
X801metalX
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by afisherunc View Post
Dylan - Thanks for your thoughts. Yes, I asked Brixton recently after the thread didn't produce results. Still waiting to hear back. I assume the missing info is because it's a relatively new page, and as an oversight wasn't completed with the intended asterisk info. For example, some of the links don't work.

That would be great if you can share what you find, thanks!
“The asterisk is actually very strange. They do indeed have these certs and you can tell him he can call me if he wants info. Via certs are 100% required for any wheel that comes out of Japan. Basically all radial and flow forged wheels come out of Japan. I can get him in touch with anyone there if he wants a source. Very legitimate question with all the lame companies that have lied in the past”. This was the answer I got from Trevor at Envision, the shop I ordered my wheels through in Salt Lake City. Hope this helps.
Appreciate 1
      03-25-2019, 08:51 AM   #11
afisherunc
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by X801metalX View Post
“The asterisk is actually very strange. They do indeed have these certs and you can tell him he can call me if he wants info. Via certs are 100% required for any wheel that comes out of Japan. Basically all radial and flow forged wheels come out of Japan. I can get him in touch with anyone there if he wants a source. Very legitimate question with all the lame companies that have lied in the past”. This was the answer I got from Trevor at Envision, the shop I ordered my wheels through in Salt Lake City. Hope this helps.
Thanks! I appreciate you following up and yes, this is quite helpful
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2019, 03:05 PM   #12
X801metalX
United_States
Rep

20x9" fronts with 245/35/20 Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2
20x11" rears with 305/30/20 Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2
Appreciate 0