GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > AUSTRALIA

05-03-2019, 05:21 AM   #45
TestySpice
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmx View Post
Have you actually test-driven cars in this segment?

Most people do this. Paper [test] driving. End up buying, whinging about deppreciation on a car (lul) before realising the characteristics don't suit them at all. The "other" car was always better for them

This depreciation model can be applied to every M3 back to the E36.
I intend to use the first three to four years depreciation in my favour and get one that is that old.

Test driven... no , not as yet. Within the next week. Have only been decided on a M series for the last four days , so am yet to sit in one. Eagerly awaiting this
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2019, 12:56 AM   #46
m4chievous
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TestySpice View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by m4chievous View Post
Hey mate,

I got my car via the servicing program 3 years ago. No issues and have never paid for servicing as nothing has needed replacing.

Only thing I paid for was tyres. Fuel is 80 to 100 a fortnight and insurance is 1400 a year.

Not sure why the depreciation is so heavy. My wife has an A45 (new 85k) and after 3 years it is approximately 55k.

Hope that helps
Thank you very much for the reply. Insurance costs should have been one cost that was first on my list but had forgotten about that. So thanks for that alone. I just did a compare the market comparison and from 1800 to 3500 was the replies. Eeeek. Did a Youi one and you were right , 1400 odd for a 1250 excess. 1650 for a 900 excess, which more suits.
Interesting differences..... Thank you again for your assistance.
Try RAC. That is who I am with. Can't recall precisely but excess is either 600 to 800.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2019, 01:32 AM   #47
TestySpice
Rep

Quote:
Try RAC. That is who I am with. Can't recall precisely but excess is either 600 to 800.
Shall do , thanks for the tip.

Last edited by TestySpice; 05-04-2019 at 01:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2019, 01:39 AM   #48
TestySpice
Rep

Quote:

Just tried to do an online quote and it would appear that you can only use this lot if you live in WA. As a Sydney resident it just fails every time i try.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2019, 02:46 PM   #49
RevNev
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TestySpice View Post
Just tried to do an online quote and it would appear that you can only use this lot if you live in WA. As a Sydney resident it just fails every time i try.
Allianz is one of the best insurers for good cars and they're not ridiculously expensive either. Allianz accept the repair processes in accordance with the BMW body repair manual and they don't give the BMW approved panel shops much grief with quotes to repair the car properly. A rough panel job with insurers who want to cut corners on the repair to save money can easily mess your car up visually and structurally.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2019, 10:25 PM   #50
Scootah
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: F80 M3CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO3 View Post
BMW plays a huge role in M cars not holding their value, compared to AMGs.

A friend of mine paid 184k for his 2014 M4 in 2014. I paid 150k in January 2016 for a similar colour M4 loaded with options. (He didn't have HUD or extended leather). I also paid 137k for my individual 2018 M3 CP. Both cars are brand new with around 20kms on the clock. BMW have a tendency to shaft the early adopters then drop their pants a year or so later with ridiculous discounts.

MB let my friend walk away for a 1k difference. They just wouldn't give a shit. (I find them so arrogant to be honest). They protect their product, just like porsche. A 3 year old C63s is still going for 110-120k now, which is 75% of the original value.

100% agree with this , I paid $127k for my 2017 M3CP Tanzanite , i was quoted $142k for the same car 6 months earlier .

BMW do crucify the early adopters , case in point Friend just brought a brand new X3M40i for $85k ( yes he buys a lot of cars but still !) , this car retails at over $120k....

IMO you need to wait to buy a new BMW around 12 months from the model launch or else depreciation will kill you when you get out of it
Appreciate 2
MO3162.50
BLKM48.50
      05-06-2019, 01:33 AM   #51
TestySpice
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scootah View Post
100% agree with this , I paid $127k for my 2017 M3CP Tanzanite , i was quoted $142k for the same car 6 months earlier .

BMW do crucify the early adopters , case in point Friend just brought a brand new X3M40i for $85k ( yes he buys a lot of cars but still !) , this car retails at over $120k....

IMO you need to wait to buy a new BMW around 12 months from the model launch or else depreciation will kill you when you get out of it
First things first.... a Tanzanite M3 is beautiful. Such a gorgeous colour. I also agree with you on the waiting 12 months or more from the day of release as it seems from what i have researched of late, the prices are not holding. Was quoted today a Comp Edition M4 @128$ New. Online they are past the 150 mark.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2019, 03:22 AM   #52
drgmt
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Depreciation on a business lease is actually beneficial as it is tax deductible.

If you buy a car outright and then resell then depreciation is a pain - this really should never be the default option with modern cars.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2019, 04:41 AM   #53
///M-pressed
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by drgmt View Post
Depreciation on a business lease is actually beneficial as it is tax deductible.

If you buy a car outright and then resell then depreciation is a pain - this really should never be the default option with modern cars.
If you drive the car for work even if it's in your personal name you still get to claim the depreciation. But you need to be using it pretty much for like 80% business use for it to be worth it.

The massive PITA is keeping the log book.
F82 M4 | 6-speed manual | PP performance Stage 2 tune | Re-valved Bilstein B16s | VRSF midpipe | OEM CS front splitter | OEM GTS hood | OEM M-performance rear diffuser| Evolve tuning catless downpipes | 310rwkw (415rwhp)
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2019, 04:43 AM   #54
drgmt
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attuale View Post
Quote:

If you drive the car for work even if it's in your personal name you still get to claim the depreciation. But you need to be using it pretty much for like 80% business use for it to be worth it.

The massive PITA is keeping the log book.
3 months every 5 years isn't to bad. But yes it is a pain.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2019, 10:28 PM   #55
Scootah
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: F80 M3CP

Quote:

Unfortunately you can only claim depreciation on the first $57581 value of the car , would be great if you could claim on the total value
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2019, 10:05 PM   #56
snowy8
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Hi There, I am new to this forum and looking at potentially purchasing my first BMW M4. I'm looking at a used 2016 model with 20,000kms for around $85,000.

Has anyone had any experience buying a used performance car like a M4 from a dealer or private? Anything I should watch out for? Also what type of discount are people getting of the prices on car sales to actual purchase price?

Are there any hidden costs of owning a M4 I should be aware of? I hear they can be quite costly to up keep? This will be used a as a every day car, driving to and from work. Not really keen on it being tracked.

Any assistance would be great.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2019, 12:41 AM   #57
mynameisplayer
SCHNELL
Rep
Drives: F15 50i, E46, E90, Crafter van

"20k out of a set of tyres". You know it's an M car right? 17k, putting on 4th set this week. My car is only driven for fun, all twisty bits
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2019, 05:36 AM   #58
TestySpice
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowy8 View Post
Hi There, I am new to this forum and looking at potentially purchasing my first BMW M4. I'm looking at a used 2016 model with 20,000kms for around $85,000.

Has anyone had any experience buying a used performance car like a M4 from a dealer or private? Anything I should watch out for? Also what type of discount are people getting of the prices on car sales to actual purchase price?

Are there any hidden costs of owning a M4 I should be aware of? I hear they can be quite costly to up keep? This will be used a as a every day car, driving to and from work. Not really keen on it being tracked.

Any assistance would be great.
i joined this forum site to garner the same kind of info that your looking for.

Some of what i have found out is this...

Insurance is at minimum 1460 and upwards
Tyres are around 450 to 500 a corner
Batteries are 2000 each and are supposed to last 10 years and are coded to your car
Brakes seem to cost around 700 for the fronts and same for the rear
Oil changes seem to be around 350

So it is a costly car but that said... you know that before you even signed up for an account here and you seem to get what you pay for.... a hellava car to drive daily.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2019, 07:26 AM   #59
RevNev
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowy8 View Post
looking at potentially purchasing my first BMW M4. This will be used a as a every day car, driving to and from work. Not really keen on it being tracked.
Have you driven an M4 mate? They're not a particularly nice daily driver, they're a fun car to drive hard and fast.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2019, 09:41 AM   #60
Ghosn
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevNev View Post
Have you driven an M4 mate? They're not a particularly nice daily driver, they're a fun car to drive hard and fast.
I have a 2018 M3 and it's an awesome daily driver. Don't know what the issue is?
      05-18-2019, 11:23 AM   #61
SE7EN335
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 XDrive, 2023 IX M60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghosn View Post
I have a 2018 M3 and it's an awesome daily driver. Don't know what the issue is?
Depends on what benchmark of an awesome daily driver you are comparing to.

Yes the M3 is an "awesome" daily driver but it pales in comparison to its competitor the facelift C63s, which is more comfortable, has way less clicks and clacks from the drivetrain, less jerky gearbox, superior suspension setup for daily driveability (double wishbone vs BMW M3/4 macpherson strut) etc etc. I have driven a facelift C63s coupe for the good part of a day and I must admit it is a much nicer daily driver than the M3/M4 ZCP and Non-ZCP.

It is all a matter of perspective for what you believe to be a great daily driver

Last edited by SE7EN335; 05-18-2019 at 06:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2019, 02:52 AM   #62
RevNev
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I've got an M4 ZCP for fun and track and an X3 M40i for a daily driver. The X3 has more comfortable seats, better road vision, less tyre noise and exhaust drone and rides the bumps better than the M4 and you can fit more in it. The X3 M40i smacks 99% of the SUV's in performance and handling and as a daily driver, it's a great car!

There's nothing luxurious about an M4 and if you don't have a genuine taste for what's best described as a "race car with rego plates", an M4's likely to be disappointing. The posers buy M3 and M4's to showcase their wallet and they can't handle the rawness of them and they want to buy a Merc instead.

Last edited by RevNev; 05-19-2019 at 02:57 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2019, 08:07 AM   #63
Ghosn
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevNev View Post
I've got an M4 ZCP for fun and track and an X3 M40i for a daily driver. The X3 has more comfortable seats, better road vision, less tyre noise and exhaust drone and rides the bumps better than the M4 and you can fit more in it. The X3 M40i smacks 99% of the SUV's in performance and handling and as a daily driver, it's a great car!

There's nothing luxurious about an M4 and if you don't have a genuine taste for what's best described as a "race car with rego plates", an M4's likely to be disappointing. The posers buy M3 and M4's to showcase their wallet and they can't handle the rawness of them and they want to buy a Merc instead.
There are other cars that are better daily drivers than the M3/M4? Wow, who would have thought??

Thanks for the obvious but if you notice in my post, I wasn't comparing it to any other car, I was basing my thoughts on the car alone, which still stand. To me it's a great daily driver and I love every time I jump in and drive it on the road. I have 0 issues with it being a daily driver ....
ruley74167.00
      05-19-2019, 05:33 PM   #64
ruley74
Lost Motorcyclist
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3M F97

Quote:
There are other cars that are better daily drivers than the M3/M4? Wow, who would have thought??

Thanks for the obvious but if you notice in my post, I wasn't comparing it to any other car, I was basing my thoughts on the car alone, which still stand. To me it's a great daily driver and I love every time I jump in and drive it on the road. I have 0 issues with it being a daily driver ....
Well put, I've done 35k per year including two 4-5k road trips. My only thoughts towards swapping it out is that I can't legally fit a towbar to it. But it's still a great daily for me

It's like people think their view is the only correct view.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2019, 10:25 PM   #65
drgmt
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Love this car as a daily - when you work the hours I do - the daily is 90% of the fun you are going to get. There just isn't the time otherwise.

It don't see the point of insulting other brands especially Mercedes Benz - that makes great cars and is a fast developing legendary status in the realm of F1 motor sport.

It's easy to insult people in the comfort of your own home hidden behind a keyboard.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 06:14 AM   #66
im_dave
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: R53 MCS

Quote:
Love this car as a daily - when you work the hours I do - the daily is 90% of the fun you are going to get. There just isn't the time otherwise.
What kind of doc are you, out of interest?!

M3 is a great daily. I cycle between it and my MCS, and realise how good it is when I get back into the M3. My only gripe is it is a bit low so have to be careful on speedhumps. Also the DAB cuts out way too often!
Appreciate 0