EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs)

06-04-2019, 07:52 PM   #1
aerostar
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80

Average price for bumper/hood respray?

Color is YMB.

I have soooo many chips now it's making me sad.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2019, 08:54 PM   #2
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerostar View Post
Color is YMB.

As it’s a metallic, you want it whatever goes (1) or undetectable (10)?

Assuming want both at same time, Range $500 - $2000 depending on where in the range you want it.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2019, 09:00 PM   #3
maul3d
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 AY M4 - 2012 Nissan GTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerostar View Post
Color is YMB.

Yah, my cars got 30k miles. Front bumper is brutal. Seems everytime I go out for a cruise, I get a nice new chip. BMW paint their bumpers with crayons ? My wife's older mercedes isn't half as bad. 2.5x the mileage.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2019, 09:01 PM   #4
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep
Drives: ▋ ▉▉

Have you tried Dr ColorChip? Might as well give that a try before going for a respray. As IK6SPEED said, Yas is a metallic or pearl finish; it might be a little bit difficult to match without blending. If you go to a good shop, they should get it though.

I say it'll cost $1000 - $2000
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2019, 10:00 PM   #5
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 FO M3, M3 & MY Tezzy's

Funny. I’m in same situation. I’ve gotten three quotes to respray my front bumper and this is quoted that I bring in my bumper, so no labor to remove side markers and body removal.

Each place gives me a speech on how hard this color will be to match due to the different materials the bumper needs to blend into. The hood is metallic and the fenders are plastic.

Each shop has given me quotes ranging from $1200 - $1800
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2019, 11:00 PM   #6
N1rve
Racecar Driver
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [9.63]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BzsBimmer View Post
Funny. I’m in same situation. I’ve gotten three quotes to respray my front bumper and this is quoted that I bring in my bumper, so no labor to remove side markers and body removal.

Each place gives me a speech on how hard this color will be to match due to the different materials the bumper needs to blend into. The hood is metallic and the fenders are plastic.

I've heard that speech lots of time. I mean if they start making a big deal about it I would question them going "If it's too hard, I should go somewhere else since it seems like your shop isn't adequate to do this paint work".

Most body shops I've been to don't really blend the bumper, it's usually blending the hood to the fender.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2019, 12:47 AM   #7
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Originally Posted by N1rve View Post
I've heard that speech lots of time. I mean if they start making a big deal about it I would question them going "If it's too hard, I should go somewhere else since it seems like your shop isn't adequate to do this paint work".

Most body shops I've been to don't really blend the bumper, it's usually blending the hood to the fender.
I find the best painters that I will happily pay to spray several extra test panels instead of blending to make sure it’s a perfect match with no blending.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BzsBimmer View Post

Screw that.

Getting the hood, bumper and fenders to line up perfectly is an art to itself and takes someone experienced some time to get it done correctly.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2019, 08:47 AM   #8
N1rve
Racecar Driver
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [9.63]
Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post
I find the best painters that I will happily pay to spray several extra test panels instead of blending to make sure it’s a perfect match with no blending.

Screw that.

Getting the hood, bumper and fenders to line up perfectly is an art to itself and takes someone experienced some time to get it done correctly.

Very true statement. On my last car, I had a four stage grey and I wanted a spoiler painted in this "special color" and the painter happily sprayed multiple panels until it can flip and flop to the different shades of grey
Appreciate 1
IK6SPEED4487.00
      06-05-2019, 08:59 AM   #9
Eric S
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: in pre-order stages

We recently had a client with a YMB have his hood, bumper, fender resprayed. I believe it was about 1800. Cant even tell.

It is a hard color to match, any metallic will be
Appreciate 0