GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

11-05-2016, 03:28 PM   #1
proTUNING Freaks
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: powered by bootmod3

bootmod3 for BMW F series Vehicles - General Discussion

FAQ:
https://www.protuningfreaks.com/pages/bootmod3-faq

Authorized dealer listing:
https://www.protuningfreaks.com/page...orized-dealers

bootmod3 iOS app:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/boot...170348811?mt=8

bootmod3 Android app:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...3.mobile&hl=en

bootmod3 Web version:
http://www.bootmod3.net

'bootmod3 enthusiasts' - Facebook group link:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1995370330682747

EDIT: Quick demo vid submitted by @F80Paul

bootmod3 custom tuning editor videos, courtesy of CaryTheLabelGuy (http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...hp?t=1433680):

Last edited by proTUNING Freaks; 10-27-2017 at 05:26 PM..
Appreciate 11
      11-06-2016, 02:10 AM   #2
BuLoOoSki
Colonel
Kuwait
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by proTUNING Freaks View Post
Can I tune my own car with bootmod3?
Custom tuning for the end user is coming out soon. TunerPro XDF files will be provided for the initial release for anyone looking to spend time and dive into it on their own or with a tuner of their choice without additional cost
Helpful thread, I myself was wondering about this point. Glad to see that this is something still planned for.
2015 BMW F80 M3: Tractive EDC Suspension / Dinan Anti-Roll Bars / GC Camber Plates / KMP Dual Diff Mount / Girodisc Rotors / GT4 Brake Cooling Kit / PTF Flash Tune / Eisenmann Downpipes / CSF Heat Exchanger / BMS Charge Pipes
2007 BMW E92 335i (SOLD): BMS JB4 / Quaife LSD / Riss Racing DPs / Helix Intercooler / BMS Intake / STETT Charge Pipe / Forge DVs
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2016, 07:10 AM   #3
Irishace
ElevenPointFive
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 335

Great work PTF.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2016, 08:23 AM   #4
apexit
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 SO M3

so if we go to one of the listed shops we dont need to send out the ecu, it would be same day service?
Appreciate 1
FSociety3810.00
      11-06-2016, 12:31 PM   #5
proTUNING Freaks
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexit View Post
so if we go to one of the listed shops we dont need to send out the ecu, it would be same day service?
Yep you'd just schedule the appointment with them and get it done on the spot. If mailing in its typically 24-48 hours turn around from the time the DME is received.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishace View Post
Great work PTF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuLoOoSki View Post
Helpful thread, I myself was wondering about this point. Glad to see that this is something still planned for.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2016, 02:14 PM   #6
Justin.AutoTalent
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Excited
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2016, 07:12 PM   #7
FC4
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Yes

What about fine tuning the nuances? For example, we all know how silly the exhaust burbles sound, but is it possible to enable the burble for only 0.5-1 second on decel for effect? Or is it still an on/off thing?
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2016, 10:46 PM   #8
Jaymax85
Addicted to Speed.
United_States
Rep
Drives: m3 zcp, macan GTS, f15 x5

have a question: I downloaded the agent applications, updated my flash, and enabled 3rd party apps to be opened.....

yet when i double click on the agent.jar (in OS X), nothing occurs..

any idea on what I'm doing wrong?
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2016, 01:43 AM   #9
M-terkait
Major
Kuwait
Rep
Drives: F30 335i 3/13

Quote:
Originally Posted by HELLOimJ View Post
have a question: I downloaded the agent applications, updated my flash, and enabled 3rd party apps to be opened.....

you only open the command and wait for ***AGENT UP *** messege.
if it didn't detect the vehicle you maybe need to check connection or try reset battery ( disconnect and connect ).
then try again and see if it detects the vehicle.

once you get *** AGENT IS UP *** messege your bootmod3 application on your android.
will show that your agent(laptop) is connected.
and you will be able to perform functions with your android.

^^ laptop is just passive agent you cannot apply flash from it ^^ in this moment.
      11-07-2016, 02:37 AM   #10
BuLoOoSki
Colonel
Kuwait
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3

Quote:

You need to update Java and have your laptop connected to the same wifi network as your phone (either your home's wifi network or hotspot from your phone) Once you have that done, run agent.jar

A black screen similar to a command prompt window will pop up and you will see it do a few things. Once you see the last line reading "Agent is up", it means you are connected. Now you can run the app on your android device and do whatever you wish with it.

The agent on the laptop (or the agent device if you went that route) simply acts as the middleman between the car and the android app to have you connect to the cloud.
2015 BMW F80 M3: Tractive EDC Suspension / Dinan Anti-Roll Bars / GC Camber Plates / KMP Dual Diff Mount / Girodisc Rotors / GT4 Brake Cooling Kit / PTF Flash Tune / Eisenmann Downpipes / CSF Heat Exchanger / BMS Charge Pipes
2007 BMW E92 335i (SOLD): BMS JB4 / Quaife LSD / Riss Racing DPs / Helix Intercooler / BMS Intake / STETT Charge Pipe / Forge DVs
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2016, 06:53 AM   #11
BMW M4 PWR
Major
Rep
Drives: Austin Yellow 6-spd manual M4

You need another installer in FL bro. Too big a market to be that far away from in NY as the closest location. There's a lot of quality BMW shops in FL too you guys could vet...
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2016, 07:08 AM   #12
farbmw
Brigadier General
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 6SPD MANUAL!

Do you have any Canadian locations other then yourselves that one can get there ECU unlocked?

Link to my M4 euro delivery! http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1006526
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2016, 09:11 AM   #13
Jaymax85
Addicted to Speed.
United_States
Rep
Drives: m3 zcp, macan GTS, f15 x5

Quote:
You need to update Java and have your laptop connected to the same wifi network as your phone (either your home's wifi network or hotspot from your phone) Once you have that done, run agent.jar

A black screen similar to a command prompt window will pop up and you will see it do a few things. Once you see the last line reading "Agent is up", it means you are connected. Now you can run the app on your android device and do whatever you wish with it.

The agent on the laptop (or the agent device if you went that route) simply acts as the middleman between the car and the android app to have you connect to the cloud.
ahh ok so u always need to have a laptop and android based phone tablet correct?
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2016, 09:16 AM   #14
proTUNING Freaks
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin | AutoTalent View Post
Excited

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC4 View Post
What about fine tuning the nuances? For example, we all know how silly the exhaust burbles sound, but is it possible to enable the burble for only 0.5-1 second on decel for effect? Or is it still an on/off thing?
Oh, burble, damn you burble Its such a finicky feature, love it or hate it, zero in-betweens. Its adjustable in the map.

Quote:

On Windows you'd just double click the start.bat file. To run the agent on a mac you use the start.sh script. Here's how:

- Extract agent.zip to your home folder
- Open Terminal app and 'cd' to the agent folder
- Give permissions to the start.sh script by running this: 'chmod 755 start.sh'
- Now you can start it by typing this in Terminal: './start.sh'

NOTE: No single quotes to be used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-terkait View Post
you only open the command and wait for ***AGENT UP *** messege.
if it didn't detect the vehicle you maybe need to check connection or try reset battery ( disconnect and connect ).
then try again and see if it detects the vehicle.

once you get *** AGENT IS UP *** messege your bootmod3 application on your android.
will show that your agent(laptop) is connected.
and you will be able to perform functions with your android.

^^ laptop is just passive agent you cannot apply flash from it ^^ in this moment.
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW M4 PWR View Post
You need another installer in FL bro. Too big a market to be that far away from in NY as the closest location. There's a lot of quality BMW shops in FL too you guys could vet...
There are a few shops who have reached out and some are testing with bm3. Miami Performance is testing on their N55. We're just in the process of adding support for their software version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by farbmw View Post
Do you have any Canadian locations other then yourselves that one can get there ECU unlocked?
So far Toronto only. There are a few from Western Canada who have inquired. We'll be adding to the above list for anyone new that signs up.
Appreciate 1
      11-07-2016, 09:44 AM   #15
Reach
gone baby gone
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80

Can you post how a tuner is supposed to be able to use bootmod3 to create a custom tune? Not for your average home-tuner DIY, but a pro right now... does this offer them any benefit?

My tuner says he'll pull the ECU, bench program it, re-install it, dyno, repeat, until he gets the results he's looking for. Does this offer the ability to program on the fly via OBDII? It would be helpful if it cut down on shop time to pull the ECU for each tune/flash in the development phase.

Please correct anything I'm saying that is inappropriate. I want to make sure I'm on the same page as my tuner when I bring in the car for custom work.
      11-07-2016, 09:51 AM   #16
proTUNING Freaks
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reach View Post
Can you post how a tuner is supposed to be able to use bootmod3 to create a custom tune? Not for your average home-tuner DIY, but a pro right now... does this offer them any benefit?

My tuner says he'll pull the ECU, bench program it, re-install it, dyno, repeat, until he gets the results he's looking for. Does this offer the ability to program on the fly via OBDII? It would be helpful if it cut down on shop time to pull the ECU for each tune/flash in the development phase.

Please correct anything I'm saying that is inappropriate. I want to make sure I'm on the same page as my tuner when I bring in the car for custom work.
With bootmod3 only a one time ECU pull is required to unlock OBD access. The rest of the files are loaded via the app over OBD. That's one of the key advantages of using a platform like bootmod3 for tuning. Custom tuning while having to pull the DME each time would be incredibly painful and slow.
Appreciate 1
FSociety3810.00
      11-07-2016, 10:03 AM   #17
proTUNING Freaks
Rep

UPDATE: We have decided to bundle an OTS map with all purchases of a bootmod3 license without any additional cost.

For those that require more than one custom map they're now: $50 for N55, $100 for the S55 and $150 for the S63TU.

This doesn't affect anyone that currently has bootmod3 as we've been providing the OTS map free of charge since the release. Website has been updated to reflect this product update and pricing as well.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2016, 10:05 AM   #18
Reach
gone baby gone
Rep

But what if I don't want a bootmod3 map? Nothing against what you've got going on; I'm looking to get a custom developed map from my tuner. That's the use case I'm asking about.

Maybe I'm off base, but I thought part of the pitch was the ease of custom map development / using non off-the-shelf maps. ex: larger turbos.
      11-07-2016, 10:09 AM   #19
proTUNING Freaks
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reach View Post
But what if I don't want a bootmod3 map? Nothing against what you've got going on; I'm looking to get a custom developed map from my tuner. That's the use case I'm asking about.

Maybe I'm off base, but I thought part of the pitch was the ease of custom map development / using non off-the-shelf maps. ex: larger turbos.
No you're very clear. Its in the works, XDFs will be posted and is mentioned in the OP, quote:

Quote:
Can I tune my own car with bootmod3?
Custom tuning for the end user is coming out soon. TunerPro XDF files will be provided for the initial release for anyone looking to spend time and dive into it on their own or with a tuner of their choice without additional cost.
From what you've mentioned it seems your tuner already has tables and is using maybe WinOLS he can already load his custom maps to your car with bootmod3.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2016, 10:23 AM   #20
Reach
gone baby gone
Rep

Quote:
No you're very clear. Its in the works, XDFs will be posted and is mentioned in the OP, quote:

From what you've mentioned it seems your tuner already has tables and is using maybe WinOLS he can already load his custom maps to your car with bootmod3.
Yes.

OK, so it's not quite ready yet is what I'm hearing. Dang, I was going to be able to get some shop time tomorrow!

*edit* maybe I'm still off, but actually it sounds like what you're saying is YES, if he can tune from his own tables, he can program my car and I can use bootmod3 to extract and save the tune? This is what I'm looking for, as he's been talking about making multiple maps... E85 vs 100 octane, etc. And then be able to switch among the maps as needed with the bootmod3 agent/software.
      11-07-2016, 10:25 AM   #21
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

Quote:
UPDATE: We have decided to bundle an OTS map with all purchases of a bootmod3 license without any additional cost.

For those that require more than one custom map they're now: $50 for N55, $100 for the S55 and $150 for the S63TU.

This doesn't affect anyone that currently has bootmod3 as we've been providing the OTS map free of charge since the release. Website has been updated to reflect this product update and pricing as well.
Cool - get an unlocker in GA
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2016, 04:52 PM   #22
AutoTalent
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: e92 M3 6mt | e60 M5 6mt

For anyone interested in this in the Los Angeles and surrounding area feel free to PM me or email Golan@AutoTalent.com
Appreciate 0