Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

02-04-2021, 02:47 PM   #1
armenier
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 E92

Tune Upgrade Questions

Hello everyone,

I own a 2018 BMW m3 competition package with a 6-speed manual transmission, which currently is running a Dinan Stage 1 tune and a resonator delete on the comp exhaust. I really enjoy the character of the car post-tune with the increase in torque and power in the upper rev range. I wanted to inquire as to what are some experiences/suggestions for upgrades from this point?

I personally use my car 90% of the time on the streets and have tracked it before once (pre-covid) with the intent to attend a few track days here and there. I enjoy the oem + kinda feel of the car and am interested if getting a stage 2 tune with a downpipe or something would really open up the mid and upper range power (closer to redline).

Any suggestions/comments/experiences appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2021, 07:10 PM   #2
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

Do you have warranty now and are you willing to give it up?

If you plan to do a Stage 2 have you considered a CBC and Crank Hub Fix?
      02-04-2021, 09:05 PM   #3
AlpineF80
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F80 M3

The ECU tune really makes or breaks it for this car.
So many different tuning options out there, so it's critical you choose what is best for you.

Most downpipes perform the same.
Stock intake with a drop-in filter is likely the best on the market, fortunately, the cheapest, haha.

I got a custom tune from PETuned here in IL using EcuTek. Completely transformed the car. Car was quick with the base map they provided. After a custom tune, that REALLY woke up the car.

Your goal to move to Stage 2 is no doubt a sound choice!
As TopJimmy mentioned, a CBC and/or Crank Hub Fix is a must.
      02-05-2021, 09:52 AM   #4
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

OP,
I recommend you start with a tune, downpipe, and charge pipe.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 1
      02-28-2021, 04:31 PM   #5
armenier
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 E92

I currently am running a Dinan stage 1 tune for my 2018 Competition model and it still maintains its warranty until this September. I am interested in doing stage 3 one day, but since this vehicle is my daily commuter i like to have a good compromise between performance and reliability. With that being said what downpipes and charge pipes do you recommend? The stage 1 tune from stock already made the world of a difference on both the bottom and top end, however, i am definitely craving more...esp up top.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2021, 08:23 AM   #6
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by armenier View Post
I currently am running a Dinan stage 1 tune for my 2018 Competition model and it still maintains its warranty until this September. I am interested in doing stage 3 one day, but since this vehicle is my daily commuter i like to have a good compromise between performance and reliability. With that being said what downpipes and charge pipes do you recommend? The stage 1 tune from stock already made the world of a difference on both the bottom and top end, however, i am definitely craving more...esp up top.
Right before warranty expires remove your Dinantronic box and wiring first. Don't do charge pipes or downpipes yet. Do your crank hub fix and CBC (or at least do the CBC). Then get BM3 Stage 2 to open the top end. You'll be just short of 500WHP.

You do not need chargepipes unless you break a tube, highly unlikely unless you do a Custom tune for >26PSI.

Downpipes add responsiveness down in the low RPM range by helping turbos spin up faster. You also get a few HP/TQ. If you need to pass inspection keep your stock cats on.

PM with questions.
      03-01-2021, 08:28 AM   #7
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopJimmy View Post
Right before warranty expires remove your Dinantronic box and wiring first. Don't do charge pipes or downpipes yet. Do your crank hub fix and CBC (or at least do the CBC). Then get BM3 Stage 2 to open the top end. You'll be just short of 500WHP.

You do not need chargepipes unless you break a tube, highly unlikely unless you do a Custom tune for >26PSI.

Downpipes add responsiveness down in the low RPM range by helping turbos spin up faster. You also get a few HP/TQ. If you need to pass inspection keep your stock cats on.

PM with questions.
What TJ said .... down pipes are usually good for an additional 10-20 depending on your config and fueling choice
Appreciate 1
TopJimmy5458.50