BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

01-24-2020, 03:16 PM   #1
Likeanowl
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F80 M3/ Yas Marina Blue

Heating/cooling being weird

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post first of all. But just now I noticed something really weird with my car. It’s winter where I live so it’s pretty cold out. I turned the heat on as always (currently set to 80) and have been driving a bit. After about 20 minutes I noticed that I felt heat but definitely not 80 degrees worth and by then my car should have easily been warmed up. Well I also noticed it almost felt like a window was down cause I could feel cool air hitting my face. Well upon investigating I discovered my right driver vent was blowing out both cold and hot air at once? The other three were blowing only warm air but the driver right vent was literally doing both from one vent. The right side was nice hot air and the left was almost full on air conditioning cool.

To clarify, both sides of my car were set to 80 degrees. I did not have defrost on nor the AC button. The little red/blue dial beneath the hazard signal button was turned all the way to the red (full heat). I played around and pressed literally every other button but nothing seemed to change this. Any idea what would cause this? Pretty confused at the moment! Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 05:45 PM   #2
Taco_Bueno
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM BMW M4 F82

Make sure the blue/red wheel under the infotainment is turned to red. This happened to me a couple times. Whenever the heat is on and the dial is on blue it feels like it's blowing hot and cold
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 06:07 PM   #3
Likeanowl
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F80 M3/ Yas Marina Blue

It’s 100% red. I checked that right off the bat. Maybe the sensor in the wheel is bad? Any other ideas?
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2020, 06:06 PM   #4
Taco_Bueno
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM BMW M4 F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likeanowl View Post
It's 100% red. I checked that right off the bat. Maybe the sensor in the wheel is bad? Any other ideas?
You don't have the "AC" button to the right of the control stack on do you? Aside that I have no idea lol

EDIT: I only ask because it took me a little while to figure out this was my issue lol
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2020, 11:07 AM   #5
_robert_
Private
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 6MT

Likeanowl Did you end up resolving this? I'm getting a HVAC heater failure on my drivers side upper vent (every other vent and A/C is fine). Googling around seems like the "blend" flap could be failing.

Also an unbelievable thing, to reset the HVAC blower you press the radio eject button! https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...36357-9999.pdf
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2021, 10:08 AM   #6
TouringM3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 F80 6MT / '16 F31

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by _robert_ View Post
Likeanowl Did you end up resolving this? I'm getting a HVAC heater failure on my drivers side upper vent (every other vent and A/C is fine). Googling around seems like the "blend" flap could be failing.

Also an unbelievable thing, to reset the HVAC blower you press the radio eject button! https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...36357-9999.pdf

This just happened to me and my wife yesterday on a 8hr drive from Mammoth, CA to Bend, OR in about 30° weather.

I could hear the blower motor working, according to the level i selected, but regardless of which vent arrangement i selected hot air would NOT come out.

Seems like either all of the flaps were not responding, or something else i'm clueless about....

Instagram: @TouringM3
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2021, 11:45 AM   #7
_robert_
Private
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringM3 View Post
This just happened to me and my wife yesterday on a 8hr drive from Mammoth, CA to Bend, OR in about 30° weather.

I could hear the blower motor working, according to the level i selected, but regardless of which vent arrangement i selected hot air would NOT come out.

Seems like either all of the flaps were not responding, or something else i'm clueless about....
FYI the dealership ended up repairing my HVAC system (under warranty at the time), I believe it's the flaps.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2021, 05:06 PM   #8
telly
Rep
Drives: n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by _robert_ View Post

Thanks for the tip!
Appreciate 0