European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

01-29-2014, 02:57 PM   #1
Wdh777
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 Competition Package M5

Performance Exhaust

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Does anyone know if BMW will offer the performance exhaust system they currently do for this model? I also seem to have seen some photos of an m4 in pebble that seemed to have carbon fiber tips on the exhaust. What option is that and is it just replacing the tips or is it the entire exhaust system? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2014, 03:31 PM   #2
aajami
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Gray '09 E92 M3

Yeah. While there hasn't been an official announcement yet, I believe Scott has hinted that the exhaust (and diffuser and front spoiler) seen on the M4 Concept will be offered as M Performance parts shortly after the introduction of the F8x.

Really interested to hear what they sound like with this exhaust, because it seems like they need desperate help in that department.
Mods: M Performance exhaust | ZCP retrofit | Euro airbox | GTS DCT flash | JPN 240 ECU flash | Euro LCI taillights | CRT lip | OEM alarm retrofit | Space Gray bumper plugs | BMW Performance: Mk. II spoiler / Mk. II non-electronic steering wheel / mirror caps / front grilles / side gills / intake louvers / emblem
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2014, 03:33 PM   #3
signes
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3 RS

Nobody "knows" yet, but high likelihood that they will offer a performance exhaust at some point. The carbon tips on that show car were just carbon finishers that will probably be offered separately once the performance line for the F8x M cars is released.
      02-01-2014, 04:42 PM   #4
ss134
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

I wish BMW would offer the performance parts/exhausts as an option for the car that can be specified when you place your order.
As annoying as I find it that I MAY have to buy another exhaust to get the sound I want ( and that should come as standard) on an M3 , I find it more irritating that if I decided that the sound was not great and I wanted the performance exhaust I now have to buy in effect a second exhaust from BMW ( already paid for the stock one with the car).
Offering these parts from the factory would allow customers to order exactly what they want without charging them twice for the same part- Porsche does it.
Come on BMW sort it out.
2009 6MT E90 LCI 335i M -Sport - Sold
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2014, 05:15 PM   #5
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

On the link to the Pistonheads "build your own M4" competition, there was sports exhaust optional. That was an official cooperation with BMW and they had their own microsite with BMW configurator.

So, from that it seems like there absolutely will be a Sports Exhaust.

BTW, it could be had with different exhaust tips in that configurator, one of the options was the carbon fibre that was seen on the Pebble Beach concept.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2014, 05:22 PM   #6
/// M sa
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 MG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss330 View Post
On the link to the Pistonheads "build your own M4" competition, there was sports exhaust optional. That was an official cooperation with BMW and they had their own microsite with BMW configurator.

BTW, it could be had with different exhaust tips in that configurator, one of the options was the carbon fibre that was seen on the Pebble Beach concept.
Good to know... How much? Lol I know I am getting the lip for sure for the M3 as soon as it's available. Exhaust? Let me drive the girl first and will decide later.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2014, 09:28 PM   #7
aajami
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Gray '09 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss330

That doesn't necessarily means that's the case. You could choose the MPE as an option on the configurator for the E9xM, but it didn't come equipped on the car from the factory.
Mods: M Performance exhaust | ZCP retrofit | Euro airbox | GTS DCT flash | JPN 240 ECU flash | Euro LCI taillights | CRT lip | OEM alarm retrofit | Space Gray bumper plugs | BMW Performance: Mk. II spoiler / Mk. II non-electronic steering wheel / mirror caps / front grilles / side gills / intake louvers / emblem
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2014, 09:31 PM   #8
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
Sport exhaust option

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss134 View Post
I wish BMW would offer the performance parts/exhausts as an option for the car that can be specified when you place your order.
As annoying as I find it that I MAY have to buy another exhaust to get the sound I want ( and that should come as standard) on an M3 , I find it more irritating that if I decided that the sound was not great and I wanted the performance exhaust I now have to buy in effect a second exhaust from BMW ( already paid for the stock one with the car).
Offering these parts from the factory would allow customers to order exactly what they want without charging them twice for the same part- Porsche does it.
Come on BMW sort it out.
+1. Having to throw away a perfectly good exhaust to get a sportier option sucks. Should be a factory option. Then maybe it would be ~$1,500 rather than $3,000+.

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2014, 06:28 AM   #9
hwelvaar
Major
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW M135i MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon View Post
+1. Having to throw away a perfectly good exhaust to get a sportier option sucks. Should be a factory option. Then maybe it would be ~$1,500 rather than $3,000+.
+1
That's a problem with many of the performance options. You pay twice.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2014, 08:26 AM   #10
/// M sa
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 MG

Quote:
Totally agree and that is one thing I am disappointed with BMW. I am sure I will leave the exhaust alone since so far the sound is descent.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2014, 10:29 AM   #11
chicagofan00
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

Garage List
Quote:
If this were actually the case I would definitely be ordering it but since it's not I'm less likely to do any mods on the car as I don't want to have to pay twice for something like this. Hell even if it was installed at the port and not at the factory that would still be better than having to buy it from the dealerships and pay their insane prices.

Current - 2024 G05 X5 ///M60i in Java Green
Past - 2005 E53 X5 3.0i in Titanium Silver; 2008 E92 335i in Montego Blue; 2019 G01 X3 M40i in Glacier Silver; 2022 G80 M3 Competition in Twilight Purple
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2014, 10:44 AM   #12
AlpineE92M3
Currently Driving
Rep
Drives: BPM tuned '13 AW ZCP E92 M3

Garage List
2013 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagofan00 View Post
If this were actually the case I would definitely be ordering it but since it's not I'm less likely to do any mods on the car as I don't want to have to pay twice for something like this. Hell even if it was installed at the port and not at the factory that would still be better than having to buy it from the dealerships and pay their insane prices.
I am the same way, but since it is a new car/ platform, there are gonna be tons of vendors and companies scrambling to release parts for these cars. Exhaust. lips, spoilers etc. Gonna have to wait a few months until they start releasing some products. Otherwise, gonna have to buy parts from BMW which = more$$
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2014, 10:55 AM   #13
chicagofan00
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineE92M3 View Post
I am the same way, but since it is a new car/ platform, there are gonna be tons of vendors and companies scrambling to release parts for these cars. Exhaust. lips, spoilers etc. Gonna have to wait a few months until they start releasing some products. Otherwise, gonna have to buy parts from BMW which = more$$
Even when they do it's still having to purchase parts twice in essence, albeit most likely at a much cheaper price than what BMW offers for most things. It would just be nice if for once when launching a new car they would also launch the performance line of parts and allow for them to be factory installed as well.

One can dream....

Past - 2005 E53 X5 3.0i in Titanium Silver; 2008 E92 335i in Montego Blue; 2019 G01 X3 M40i in Glacier Silver; 2022 G80 M3 Competition in Twilight Purple
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2014, 03:02 PM   #14
F30form
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '13 Mini Cooper S Hardtop

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagofan00 View Post
Even when they do it's still having to purchase parts twice in essence, albeit most likely at a much cheaper price than what BMW offers for most things. It would just be nice if for once when launching a new car they would also launch the performance line of parts and allow for them to be factory installed as well.

One can dream....
Everyone wants everything don't they. I am sure no one is imagining the logistics involved in just randomly putting on different parts in a factory. Has anyone here actually been to a factory? Every single piece and tool is specially made to do ONE job. Once you start introducing new parts into the job things get a lot more complicated and expensive - Fast.

And WTF is this about paying two times for an exhaust? So you are saying the WHOLE car modifying culture is pointless because "they should do it from the factory". What? What dream world are you living in? Since when has a MFG EVER decided to factory install hardcore performance parts for the 1% of people who think the factory exhaust just "will not do". Seriously. What.

Just an FYI - ALL PARTS INSTALLED AT THE PORT are now FULLY RESIDUALIZED on leases. I don't know how it can get even better for someone who wants performance parts on their car.

Rant over.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2014, 03:56 PM   #15
hwelvaar
Major
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW M135i MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30form View Post
Everyone wants everything don't they. I am sure no one is imagining the logistics involved in just randomly putting on different parts in a factory. Has anyone here actually been to a factory? Every single piece and tool is specially made to do ONE job. Once you start introducing new parts into the job things get a lot more complicated and expensive - Fast.

And WTF is this about paying two times for an exhaust? So you are saying the WHOLE car modifying culture is pointless because "they should do it from the factory". What? What dream world are you living in? Since when has a MFG EVER decided to factory install hardcore performance parts for the 1% of people who think the factory exhaust just "will not do". Seriously. What.

Just an FYI - ALL PARTS INSTALLED AT THE PORT are now FULLY RESIDUALIZED on leases. I don't know how it can get even better for someone who wants performance parts on their car.

Rant over.
If you want (M) Performance parts on your car, you can possibly be paying twice for your:
- exhaust
- brakes
- seats
- front bumper
- rear bumper
- gear lever
- interior trim
etc...

And you already paid for the original (non-performance) of these parts.

Adding some 10-15 different performance parts, for a complete model line (example: 314, 316, 318, 320, 325, 328, 335 al have the same performance parts) , to the inventory of thousands of parts, doesn't seem like a big deal to me.

Integrating it into a factory production line, that's something else.

But if other manufacturers can let you choose at order time between different seats (comfort / sport) or a standard or sport exhaust, why can't BMW ?

Last edited by hwelvaar; 02-02-2014 at 04:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2014, 04:14 PM   #16
chicagofan00
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by hwelvaar View Post
If you want (M) Performance parts on your car, you can possibly be paying twice for your:
- exhaust
- brakes
- seats
- front bumper
- rear bumper
- gear lever
- interior trim
etc...

Adding some 10-15 different performance parts, for a complete model line (example: 314, 316, 318, 320, 325, 328, 335 al have the same performance parts) , to the inventory of thousands of parts, doesn't seem like a big deal to me.

But if other manufacturers can let you choose between different seats (comfort / sport) at order, why can't BMW ?

Appreciate 0
      02-02-2014, 04:47 PM   #17
elitex
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 M8C Coupe, 21 X5MC

Garage List
Quote:

Rant over.
BMW M is trying to be like Porsche IMO. Porsche let's you choose their performance exhaust as part of your build. If they can, then BMW should be able to also.

I know I will just check the performance exhaust as part of my build if it was offered. So will many people.
21 X5M MBB, 20 Evora GT, 20 C63S Coupe,19 X5 50i, 18 Giulia QV, 18 M5, 17 Evora 400, 18 LX570, 17 GT350,18 M4 Comp,17 R8 V10 ,17 M3 Comp,17 GT350,16 Escalade Plat ESV, 16 570S,16 911 GTS,15 M5, 15 LX570, 13 M5,13 Viper,14 Cayman S,13 M3,13 S4,10 RX8,12 A4,10 G37, 04 Mini Cooper S, 08 Scion TC, 06 Altima V6, 05 Altima, 01 Altima, 00 Altima, 94 Explorer, 92 Toyota Pickup, 98 Altima
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2014, 04:59 PM   #18
karbonphiber
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 AW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wdh777 View Post
Does anyone know if BMW will offer the performance exhaust system they currently do for this model? I also seem to have seen some photos of an m4 in pebble that seemed to have carbon fiber tips on the exhaust. What option is that and is it just replacing the tips or is it the entire exhaust system? Thanks
ya...there's a vid of it on youtube:

JK
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2014, 05:03 PM   #19
karbonphiber
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 AW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwelvaar View Post
- exhaust
- brakes
- seats
- front bumper
- rear bumper
- gear lever
- interior trim
etc...

But if other manufacturers can let you choose at order time between different seats (comfort / sport) or a standard or sport exhaust, why can't BMW ?
I share the same sentiment. In fact, if the parts are available before delivery i am going to insist that they be installed when the car is ready (ie: front lip spoiler and rear diffuser).
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2014, 11:35 PM   #20
ss134
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:

Rant over.
Er........?? thanks for that. BMW already have 100s of configurations and options for every model - adding a few performance parts to the options list would not be a problem, other manufacturers manage easily enough. No one said the whole modifying culture was pointless either.
2009 6MT E90 LCI 335i M -Sport - Sold

Last edited by ss134; 02-02-2014 at 11:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2014, 12:11 AM   #21
Alpine F31
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: MB E350 4MATIC Estate

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss330 View Post

Attached Images

Appreciate 0