GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

06-16-2021, 08:16 PM   #1
deeldoo
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 - DCT 2016

CS vs ZCP vs BASE EDC

Hello i ended up flashing my Base stock suspension M4 with first the CS edc then followed by ZCP.

Impressions:

CS:

- Floaty, lots of body roll in the corners
- Absorbs bumps quite well
- Less Sporty
- Spotty straight line traction
- Overall lazy and would not recommend.

ZCP:

- Increased stiffness by about 25 percent (sport is now sport+)
- almost no body roll in corners
- straight line traction is decreased
- more agile
- increased twitchiness over imperfect roads and nervous nature

I believe CS is pretty much unusable with base cars on stock suspension, obviously mismatched hardware but even so i was not impressed.

The ZCP is an interesting proposition, the car has limited body roll, increased agility, but also has this nervous nature to it and the rear is twichy in straight line acceleration. My concern with ZCP is over no perfect roads the car becomes a handful.

Overall i like zcp and will use it for a bit while longer, the rear end seems a bit more lively with it vs stock and on perfect roads the car handles a lot better.

Did anyone have similar findings? I feel it's fairly rare to code in zcp edc, most people skip to cs and are left dissapointed.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2021, 08:31 PM   #2
fiveohwblow
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15, E46 & M3, F82

I feel like you were recently raving about the cs coding. From car is shit to I’m in love.. was that you?
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2021, 08:34 PM   #3
VeloF1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F82, 996 Turbo S, E46 & E36

Garage List
2015 M4  [0.00]
Interesting. I had pretty much the opposite experience. Base ‘15. Yet, I’m running MP HAS. Track mainly now. I first tried ZCP. Then, CS. I’m happy with CS.

WHO did the tune? I had Alex@Alpine. I also did the Transmission, diff and Steering same time (GTS).
      06-16-2021, 08:34 PM   #4
deeldoo
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveohwblow View Post
I feel like you were recently raving about the cs coding. From car is shit to I'm in love.. was that you?
I did GTS coding on steering and diff not CS. And not on the edc but yes in love with the diff and steering
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2021, 08:47 PM   #5
deeldoo
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeloF1 View Post
Interesting. I had pretty much the opposite experience. Base '15. Yet, I'm running MP HAS. Track mainly now. I first tried ZCP. Then, CS. I'm happy with CS.

WHO did the tune? I had Alex@Alpine. I also did the Transmission, diff and Steering same time (GTS).
I think to take advantage of CS you need to be on HAS which i am not i think that's the reasoning behind the poor performance on base model
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2021, 09:01 PM   #6
fiveohwblow
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15, E46 & M3, F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeldoo View Post
I think to take advantage of CS you need to be on HAS which i am not i think that's the reasoning behind the poor performance on base model
Yeah I have HAS kit and found the cs to be perfect. I assume you’re stock height?
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2021, 10:06 PM   #7
KeyBoy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Hello i ended up flashing my Base stock suspension M4 with first the CS edc then followed by ZCP.

Impressions:

CS:

- Floaty, lots of body roll in the corners
- Absorbs bumps quite well
- Less Sporty
- Spotty straight line traction
- Overall lazy and would not recommend.

ZCP:

- Increased stiffness by about 25 percent (sport is now sport+)
- almost no body roll in corners
- straight line traction is decreased
- more agile
- increased twitchiness over imperfect roads and nervous nature

I believe CS is pretty much unusable with base cars on stock suspension, obviously mismatched hardware but even so i was not impressed.

The ZCP is an interesting proposition, the car has limited body roll, increased agility, but also has this nervous nature to it and the rear is twichy in straight line acceleration. My concern with ZCP is over no perfect roads the car becomes a handful.

Overall i like zcp and will use it for a bit while longer, the rear end seems a bit more lively with it vs stock and on perfect roads the car handles a lot better.

Did anyone have similar findings? I feel it's fairly rare to code in zcp edc, most people skip to cs and are left dissapointed.
Interesting and thanks for sharing. I had a similar experience. I had CS EDC last year and thought it was too soft/less sporty like you did. I remember the change in feel was quite drastic. The damping was great though especially on highway with bumps. I also have a base 17 F80. I lived with it for a week and returned to stock EDC. Needed that raw sportiness feel back. Also felt like the throttle was mushier for some reason at certain times.

Then I tried Thor's version of CS EDC a few weeks ago and it definitley feels different than the one I had from Alex. I wrote a post in the Thor thread about it. But basically this one removes the floatiness from stock but in subtle way. But it's there. Similar stiffness to stock with slightly improved damping for normal driving. I still use comfort mode with this version whereas with my first flash, comfort was way too soft for the most part.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2021, 10:53 PM   #8
Tecnniqe
Sad ///M noises
No_Country
Rep
Drives: ///M4 COMPETITION

I got the CS coding from Alex and it's far superior.

On MPHAS tho so
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2021, 06:25 PM   #9
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
To fully leverage the CS EDC tune, as a minimum you need the appropriate dampers. Then, preferably you’d want the proper spring and swaybar combination. I found the overall suspension tuning and damping on my M4ca with MP-HAS to be quite impressive. I actually find it had a better ride in comfort than my current 992 turbo (with Sport-PASM).

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2021, 08:24 PM   #10
CJStevens
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80

I have a 18' ZCP and I had Alex code CS EDC. I don't find it floaty an lazy at all. In comfort it is much more enjoyable on the awful roads here in the north east but sport and sport plus get progressively stiffer. For me it's the best of both worlds. For everyday driving in comfort it is incredibly nicer than the ZCP settings but if I want it to get racey sport plus still stiffens up like a teenager in a strip club. And since my car is 99% road driving and 1% track, the softer comfort on the CS settings is mint.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2021, 11:44 PM   #11
Humdizzle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: GT3 + M2c

i did cs edc with swift springs.

i did find comfort mode a little floaty... but i liked that since its more of a daily and not my sports car. sport and sport+ stiffened it up easily for when i wanted to go fast.

2018 Porsche GT3 6MT
2021 M2C DCT
Previous: Ferrari 458 | R35 GTR | F80 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3 | Scion FRS
Appreciate 0