European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

06-03-2020, 05:26 PM   #1
f32_dpatel
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW F32 435i M Sport

Considering buying a 2015 M4 with 65k miles. Thoughts?

Hey guys,

looking into picking up a 2015 M4 with 65k miles. The carfax is clean and shows regular maintenance thus far. The brake pads/rotors have not been changed yet. The car has already been through 3 owners and the most recent owner has only put 7k miles on the car in the last two years. The car has been sitting in his garage for the most part over the last 6 months. He said the battery drained once but is now up and running again. I will be getting a PPI at EP3 Motorsports out in St. Charles IL.

I wanted to get some of your thoughts.
1) Is the car worth 28k?
2) Has anyone reached high mileage and run into issues with their F80 or F82?
3) Do any of you have third party extended warranties?

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2020, 05:34 PM   #2
Carrera16M3
Rep
Drives: BMW F80 M3

Whoa that's a really great price. I picked up a 2016 M3 just 6 months ago for like $12k more with 58k miles. I knew it wasn't a great deal, but I really wanted the car. I think Covid really blasted the used market in favor of buyers.

If the PPI shows everything is good, I would jump on it. Just make sure the PPI is super thorough. Just because the Carfax is clean doesn't mean nothing has happened to the car, just that any work that may have been done wasn't reported through insurance.

I have a third party extended warranty, haven't had to use it yet. Hopefully if it comes time to use it, they'll actually pay out. I've heard mostly negative things about 3rd party warranties, but I guess we'll see.

Good luck!

Edit: If this M4 has the carbon ceramic brakes (M4 competition models), you're looking at $18k-20k to replace the pads and rotors with OEM parts. If it's not a competition and has the normal brakes, it'll still be around $1300 to replace them. That may be why it's priced so low.

Last edited by Carrera16M3; 06-03-2020 at 05:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2020, 05:35 PM   #3
MineralGrayCPF80
Enlisted Member
No_Country
Rep
Drives: ‘16 F80 M3

$28k sounds like he's in the ball park. Do you know if it was previously tuned?
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2020, 05:38 PM   #4
bsmf8x
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by f32_dpatel View Post
Hey guys,

looking into picking up a 2015 M4 with 65k miles. The carfax is clean and shows regular maintenance thus far. The brake pads/rotors have not been changed yet. The car has already been through 3 owners and the most recent owner has only put 7k miles on the car in the last two years. The car has been sitting in his garage for the most part over the last 6 months. He said the battery drained once but is now up and running again. I will be getting a PPI at EP3 Motorsports out in St. Charles IL.

I wanted to get some of your thoughts.
1) Is the car worth 28k?
2) Has anyone reached high mileage and run into issues with their F80 or F82?
3) Do any of you have third party extended warranties?

Thanks in advance!
1) Yes I believe 28k is a good deal unless the car is a stripper in which case that's what it's worth. options usually don't matter on used cars, but on M's I believe they do as F8x owners want their cars a certain way. Make sure the car doesn't have carbon ceramics; it would cost an arm and a leg to replace and I think it's worse in terms of holding value. Cars with cloth seats, 18 inch rims and missing things like lighting pack and adaptive suspension and such are usually worth less, those are the M's (f8x) I usually see for 20-30k.

Also, the convertibles are worth less so if this is a coupe not vert, it's an even better deal. Check KBB value.

2) I just bought a used f82 so I did a lot of research on this as well. I've basically come to the conclusion that if maintained properly, not beaten on/tracked and if you're on the stock tune you should not have any issues.

3) Buying a warranty on an M4 with 65k miles would be expensive asf. I was getting 4k-6k sh quotes from fidelity/easycare on a 2016 with 32k miles. Also, those are pretty much the best warranty companies as most are suspect. USAA is good but you need to be military.

I'd consider buying a used M4 with high miles from carmax, they have a few and their warranties are really affordable considering they're reputable, bumper to bumper as well as available on high mileage german cars for not too much money.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2020, 05:39 PM   #5
snowhitem4
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: G82 M4, F98 X4M, F82 m4 - sold

Garage List
2022 BMW M4  [9.83]
2021 BMW X4M  [10.00]
Seems like a very solid price point. Based on what I've seen, if these cars are maintained regularly they will last a very long time. Engine is pretty reliable!
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2020, 05:41 PM   #6
f32_dpatel
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MineralGrayCPF80 View Post
$28k sounds like he's in the ball park. Do you know if it was previously tuned?
Possibly tuned as the car failed smog in Texas with one of the previous owners. The car is stock at the moment.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2020, 05:43 PM   #7
f32_dpatel
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrera16M3 View Post
Whoa that's a really great price. I picked up a 2016 M3 just 6 months ago for like $12k more with 58k miles. I knew it wasn't a great deal, but I really wanted the car. I think Covid really blasted the used market in favor of buyers.

If the PPI shows everything is good, I would jump on it. Just make sure the PPI is super thorough. Just because the Carfax is clean doesn't mean nothing has happened to the car, just that any work that may have been done wasn't reported through insurance.

I have a third party extended warranty, haven't had to use it yet. Hopefully if it comes time to use it, they'll actually pay out. I've heard mostly negative things about 3rd party warranties, but I guess we'll see.

Good luck!

Edit: If this M4 has the carbon ceramic brakes (M4 competition models), you're looking at $18k-20k to replace the pads and rotors with OEM parts. If it's not a competition and has the normal brakes, it'll still be around $1300 to replace them. That may be why it's priced so low.
I was looking into the policy for some reassurance kinda like yourself haha. If you dont mind me asking, how much did you have to pay for the extended warranty and how many miles does it cover?

Brakes are non ceramic and hoping the PPI will tell me if they will need to be replaced soon.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2020, 05:49 PM   #8
f32_dpatel
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by murdrdf82 View Post
1) Yes I believe 28k is a good deal unless the car is a stripper in which case that's what it's worth. options usually don't matter on used cars, but on M's I believe they do as F8x owners want their cars a certain way. Make sure the car doesn't have carbon ceramics; it would cost an arm and a leg to replace and I think it's worse in terms of holding value. Cars with cloth seats, 18 inch rims and missing things like lighting pack and adaptive suspension and such are usually worth less, those are the M's (f8x) I usually see for 20-30k.

Also, the convertibles are worth less so if this is a coupe not vert, it's an even better deal. Check KBB value.

2) I just bought a used f82 so I did a lot of research on this as well. I've basically come to the conclusion that if maintained properly, not beaten on/tracked and if you're on the stock tune you should not have any issues.

3) Buying a warranty on an M4 with 65k miles would be expensive asf. I was getting 4k-6k sh quotes from fidelity/easycare on a 2016 with 32k miles. Also, those are pretty much the best warranty companies as most are suspect. USAA is good but you need to be military.

I'd consider buying a used M4 with high miles from carmax, they have a few and their warranties are really affordable considering they're reputable, bumper to bumper as well as available on high mileage german cars for not too much money.
It's a base M4 with pretty much no options. Cloth seats and non ceramic brakes also. Only upgrade was the headlights and 19" GTS wheels.

Carfax shows 5 oil changes at dealerships and current owner claims to have done an oil change and brake fluid himself recently. Was considering running a BM3 Stage 1 tune.

I've tried calling one company so far and they said California wouldn't even allow them to cover an M4 haha. I'm going to try calling a few more.

Carmax has some but they're price in the mid-30s.

Hope you're liking you're F82!
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2020, 07:19 PM   #9
f32_dpatel
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowhitem4 View Post
Seems like a very solid price point. Based on what I've seen, if these cars are maintained regularly they will last a very long time. Engine is pretty reliable!
Hope that's the case with this one. Will have to meet up with you in the bay at some point either way haha
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2020, 07:21 PM   #10
snowhitem4
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: G82 M4, F98 X4M, F82 m4 - sold

Garage List
2022 BMW M4  [9.83]
2021 BMW X4M  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowhitem4 View Post
Hope that's the case with this one. Will have to meet up with you in the bay at some point either way haha
Or course bro! Anytime. My IG handle is the same, feel free to hit me up 👍🏽
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2020, 07:34 PM   #11
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

Sick price, buy it.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2020, 08:18 PM   #12
02M3ForMe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Is this the car?

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1724440
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2020, 08:39 PM   #13
f32_dpatel
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02M3ForMe View Post
yes it is
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2020, 09:26 PM   #14
bsmf8x
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82

Quote:
It's a base M4 with pretty much no options. Cloth seats and non ceramic brakes also. Only upgrade was the headlights and 19" GTS wheels.

Carfax shows 5 oil changes at dealerships and current owner claims to have done an oil change and brake fluid himself recently. Was considering running a BM3 Stage 1 tune.

I've tried calling one company so far and they said California wouldn't even allow them to cover an M4 haha. I'm going to try calling a few more.

Carmax has some but they're price in the mid-30s.

Hope you're liking you're F82!
I thought the GTS wheels are 20 inches. TBH as long as I have the HK sound and upgraded lights I wouldn't be complaining. HK sounds is really good if you're not used to crazy high end systems.

Also note that car should be on it's third set of spark plugs, first change at 30 and next change at 60. If not, change them ASAP.

I'd do a CBC for a few hundred or even the full crank hub for 1500 ish if you're driving a tuned M4 to be safe from the crank hub spinning.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2020, 09:31 PM   #15
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep
Drives: '24 GT4RS, '24 Macan GTS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by murdrdf82 View Post
I thought the GTS wheels are 20 inches. TBH as long as I have the HK sound and upgraded lights I wouldn't be complaining. HK sounds is really good if you're not used to crazy high end systems.

Also note that car should be on it's third set of spark plugs, first change at 30 and next change at 60. If not, change them ASAP.

I'd do a CBC for a few hundred or even the full crank hub for 1500 ish if you're driving a tuned M4 to be safe from the crank hub spinning.
M4 GTS rims stock are 19" front, 20" back, it's staggered setup.
      06-04-2020, 01:48 AM   #16
Carrera16M3
Rep
Drives: BMW F80 M3

Quote:
I was looking into the policy for some reassurance kinda like yourself haha. If you dont mind me asking, how much did you have to pay for the extended warranty and how many miles does it cover?

Brakes are non ceramic and hoping the PPI will tell me if they will need to be replaced soon.
3 years, 36k miles for $4k. Steep, but it covers everything according to the fine print (supposedly)
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2020, 06:37 AM   #17
mjposner
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 40i

Get Carly app and wifi obd2 connector to do a scan

The car has service info which tells you when brakes are due. No substitute for inspection but if sensors say overdue or no miles left then plan for replacement (and probably rotors too).

Battery damaged and 6 years old, they last 7 years or so and are very expensive to replace

Yes spark plugs long overdue

My Car Photo Blog: http://carfisheye.blogspot.com/
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2020, 07:53 AM   #18
JoeFromPA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 AW M3 6MT Stripper

I just sold my 2015 m3 with 71k miles for $32k. Stripper model with 6mt, very similar spec to that.

Mine was one-owner (me), never tuned, in great physical/mechanical condition, with full maintenance records and no stories or immediate needs. I probably got a premium price because of condition and rarity of finding that spec (very low weight 6mt sedan).

Is that one worth $28k? Yes, I believe so. HOWEVER, there's a few question marks on it so get your PPI and plan on putting $2k into it to get it ready for daily driver status.
      06-04-2020, 03:13 PM   #19
f32_dpatel
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFromPA View Post
I just sold my 2015 m3 with 71k miles for $32k. Stripper model with 6mt, very similar spec to that.

Mine was one-owner (me), never tuned, in great physical/mechanical condition, with full maintenance records and no stories or immediate needs. I probably got a premium price because of condition and rarity of finding that spec (very low weight 6mt sedan).

Is that one worth $28k? Yes, I believe so. HOWEVER, there's a few question marks on it so get your PPI and plan on putting $2k into it to get it ready for daily driver status.
Getting a PPI done for sure. The car was untouched for 6 months because the owner was out of town for the most part. Had to charge up the battery a bit but it starts consistently now. Shop doing the PPI said they should be able to assess battery life and list any service needs that would be needed in the next 5-10k miles. Definitely don't mind dropping 2k in right away to make it ready for daily driving.
Appreciate 0