EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

09-23-2021, 07:00 PM   #1
andreasa18
Registered
Rep
Drives: M4 Competition

Smile M4 Comp Exhaust vs MPE?

Hey everyone I just got a 2020 M4 Competition F82 with the competition exhaust, is it worth the money to get the MPE exhaust?
And should I go to BMW to do it?
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2021, 09:57 AM   #2
1000hp
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

The comp exhaust is the same as the base model exhaust. It just has black tips.

The M Performance Exhaust is totally different, but doesn't sound all that great for what it costs. For the price of an MPE you can buy something with much better sound.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2021, 10:31 AM   #3
rmanm4
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 F82

Garage List
2020 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000hp View Post
Wait! What??? You must be joking right?

Comp exhaust is not the same as base (civic) model exhaust!

MPE is worth it for some people, it is lighter and deeper/louder!

OP: It is cheaper to replace the mid pipe and you will gain sound and a bit of HP/TQ.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2021, 10:53 AM   #4
1000hp
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmanm4 View Post

Prove it.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2021, 11:04 AM   #5
TractionControlDelete
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82-E92 M3-E46 M3-E30-S1K-330i

Garage List
2004 X5  [9.00]
2006 325i  [10.00]
2021 S1000RR  [9.50]
2006 330i  [7.75]
1986 325e  [10.00]
2005 M3  [7.40]
2009 M3  [8.63]
2018 M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Wait! What??? You must be joking right?

MPE is worth it for some people, it is lighter and deeper/louder!

OP: It is cheaper to replace the mid pipe and you will gain sound and a bit of HP/TQ.
+1 for the midpipe only. Single midpipe for deeper sound. Equal length for S54 sound.

For the money of MPE do this instead:

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=23641511

https://youtube.com/@tractioncontroldelete
Appreciate 1
rmanm4870.50
      09-24-2021, 11:08 AM   #6
rmanm4
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Prove it.
You really need to learn to search and fact check what you say:

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=18_1246

You can see how the part number is different.

Also if you search on Youtube you can hear the difference!

Kids like you are the reason why the internet is full of misinformation!
Appreciate 4
      09-24-2021, 12:27 PM   #7
rmanm4
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
The part number is different because it has black tips. It is otherwise identical inside and out.

The sound is slightly different because the Comp mapping is different.

You can continue to make a fool of yourself if you like. Your call.
Did you even read the link I posted?

Tips have a different part number and are not included in the muffler part.

You continue to show how uneducated you are!
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2021, 12:31 PM   #8
1000hp
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Did you even read the link I posted?

Tips have a different part number and are not included in the muffler part.

You continue to show how uneducated you are!
The part number alone means nothing. I'm familiar with realOEM.

In another thread, I found a picture of the muffler internals that show that the ZCP muffler has additional baffles. So I stand corrected.
Appreciate 1
      09-29-2021, 06:31 PM   #9
slaughter.mode
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Competition

Garage List
2018 BMW M4 ZCP  [9.80]
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreasa18 View Post
Hey everyone I just got a 2020 M4 Competition F82 with the competition exhaust, is it worth the money to get the MPE exhaust?
And should I go to BMW to do it?
I wouldn't unless you really want the car to have full OEM only parts. The cost: benefit ratio isn't there. Like other's said, a mid pipe would do more for performance and there are many other mufflers which, in my opinion, sound better and perform better and cost exponentially less.

I love my setup:

Activeautowerke Cat-Less Downpipes
Activeautowerke Single Midpipe
Remus Muffler (with the big carbon angle cut tips)

Sounds so good. So deep and thundery and I can hear my turbos spooling from down the street, even with the flaps shut. I'm not going for 'aesthetics' but it's a head turner.
      09-29-2021, 06:54 PM   #10
Keca10
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 M3 ZCP / '20 X3 M40i

I love my MPE exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2021, 11:09 AM   #11
BoxKing
I Rock Your Girls Box
Rep
Drives: M4 F82 ZCP AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by nv_f82 View Post
I wouldn't unless you really want the car to have full OEM only parts. The cost: benefit ratio isn't there. Like other's said, a mid pipe would do more for performance and there are many other mufflers which, in my opinion, sound better and perform better and cost exponentially less.

I love my setup:

Activeautowerke Cat-Less Downpipes
Activeautowerke Single Midpipe
Remus Muffler (with the big carbon angle cut tips)

Sounds so good. So deep and thundery and I can hear my turbos spooling from down the street, even with the flaps shut. I'm not going for 'aesthetics' but it's a head turner.

Write ups like this make my decision so difficult....!
I was just about to buy the EL Res, and the Remus... to pair with my VRSF Cats.... Now Im on the fence to buy the VRSF Single Mid + Remus, to save 1000.00 bucks.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2021, 01:48 PM   #12
slaughter.mode
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M4 ZCP  [9.80]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxKing View Post
I was just about to buy the EL Res, and the Remus... to pair with my VRSF Cats.... Now Im on the fence to buy the VRSF Single Mid + Remus, to save 1000.00 bucks.
Well I had both and I prefer the single. I had a single initially, then got sucked into the EL (resonated) craze, then got rid of it in a month and went back to single.

Put it this way:

EL (resonated) does sound better in the high RPM range, it has this very clean 'scream to it.' But everywhere else it sounds like a rattling tin can, it reminds me of a beater Honda Civic. Heck at the high RPM range it reminds me of my 2000 Integra Type R honestly but that thing sounded nice when the V-TEC hit hard. It may sound better if you have catted downpipes, I honestly believe that's what it was designed for. A resonated + catted system. People say otherwise, but I don't think they actually know or have had it. I was one of the first to get the EL pipes (about a year ago now) so I remember not a lot of proof testing out there. I have the video clips of the audio, I can share if you need but they're in the EL thread.

Single midpipe sounds very loud in the high RPM range, almost brassy even. I do have cat-less downpipes though so my setup is very 'open' to begin with. I don't mind it at all because I'm usually flying at that RPM range anyway. But the gold is driving normally, especially in parking lots/garages. It's wild. Super deep and you can hear the turbos spool go endlessly. It's amazing. Not that I care about attention but everyone gives me the 'nod' so I know it's not just me.

Another factor (and this is what finally got me to go back to single) is power loss. I have a tuned, turbo upgraded S55 and I lost an average of 7-22 WHP (on the Dyno) on the EL/resonated setup. I mean it makes sense, it's resonated and the EL design along gives your exhaust gases a small and longer route to pass. That was it for me though. Oh and it's very difficult to get it tucked nicely so it doesn't rattle. It took me 4-5 times of heat/cool cycles to get it in place. Going back to the single it feels like it has all the room in the world, I didn't even have to shim the F brace.

GL!

Edit - One other thing about the proof of power loss. Nowhere does Active mention any power gains for the EL midpipe setup. Because it doesn't add any power. Single, they do. I noticed this off the bat. This is right from their website:
  • "Lighter weight than factory system
  • Quicker turbo spool
  • Increased low end and mid-range power
  • Equal length design eliminates the pulsing sound caused by the unequal length down pipes"

Quicker turbo spool and increased low and mid-range power = more restrictive, more backpressure. There's no two ways about it. That's what it is.

Last edited by slaughter.mode; 10-05-2021 at 02:19 PM..
Appreciate 3
      10-05-2021, 02:10 PM   #13
TractionControlDelete
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82-E92 M3-E46 M3-E30-S1K-330i

Garage List
2004 X5  [9.00]
2006 325i  [10.00]
2021 S1000RR  [9.50]
2006 330i  [7.75]
1986 325e  [10.00]
2005 M3  [7.40]
2009 M3  [8.63]
2018 M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Well I had both and I prefer the single. I had a single initially, then got sucked into the EL (resonated) craze, then got rid of it in a month and went back to single.

Put it this way:

EL (resonated) does sound better in the high RPM range, it has this very clean 'scream to it.' But everywhere else it sounds like a rattling tin can, it reminds me of a beater Honda Civic. Heck at the high RPM range it reminds me of my 2000 Integra Type R honestly but that thing sounded nice when the V-TEC hit hard. It may sound better if you have catted downpipes, I honestly believe that's what it was designed for. A resonated + catted system. People say otherwise, but I don't think they actually know or have had it. I was one of the first to get the EL pipes (last year now I think) so I remember not a lot of proof testing out there. I have the video clips of the audio, I can share if you need but they're in the EL thread.

Single midpipe sounds very loud in the high RPM range, almost brassy even. I do have cat-less downpipes though so my setup is very 'open' to begin with. I don't mind it at all because I'm usually flying at that RPM range anyway. But the gold is driving normally, especially in parking lots/garages. It's wild. Super deep and you can hear the turbos spool go endlessly. It's amazing. Not that I care about attention but everyone gives me the 'nod' so I know it's not just me.

Another factor (and this is what finally got me to go back to single) is power loss. I have a tuned, turbo upgraded S55 and I lost an average of 7-22 WHP (on the Dyno) on the EL/resonated setup. I mean it makes sense, it's resonated and the EL design along gives your exhaust gases a small and longer route to pass. That was it for me though. Oh and it's very difficult to get it tucked nicely so it doesn't rattle. It took me 4-5 times of heat/cool cycles to get it in place. Going back to the single it feels like it has all the room in the world, I didn't even have to shim the F brace.

GL!
Excellent write up. I'm all about the single midpipe but the main comparison points I've had is on YouTube. The few times I've heard the EL in-person it hasn't been my favorite but it's hard to distinguish what I'm hearing sometimes due to various muffler setups. So thanks for your input as it confirms what I've been hearing.

https://youtube.com/@tractioncontroldelete
Appreciate 1
      10-05-2021, 02:38 PM   #14
Jim45678
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M3 f80

Quote:

Put it this way:

EL (resonated) does sound better in the high RPM range, it has this very clean 'scream to it.' But everywhere else it sounds like a rattling tin can, it reminds me of a beater Honda Civic. Heck at the high RPM range it reminds me of my 2000 Integra Type R honestly but that thing sounded nice when the V-TEC hit hard. It may sound better if you have catted downpipes, I honestly believe that's what it was designed for. A resonated + catted system. People say otherwise, but I don't think they actually know or have had it. I was one of the first to get the EL pipes (about a year ago now) so I remember not a lot of proof testing out there. I have the video clips of the audio, I can share if you need but they're in the EL thread.

GL!

Edit - One other thing about the proof of power loss. Nowhere does Active mention any power gains for the EL midpipe setup. Because it doesn't add any power. Single, they do. I noticed this off the bat. This is right from their website:
  • "Lighter weight than factory system
  • Quicker turbo spool
  • Increased low end and mid-range power
  • Equal length design eliminates the pulsing sound caused by the unequal length down pipes"

Quicker turbo spool and increased low and mid-range power = more restrictive, more backpressure. There's no two ways about it. That's what it is.
DP + single midpipe setup questions:

- does it rattle?
- does it drone?

thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2021, 03:06 PM   #15
slaughter.mode
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M4 ZCP  [9.80]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim45678 View Post
DP + single midpipe setup questions:

- does it rattle?
- does it drone?

thanks
No rattle or drone. (valves opened or closed).
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2021, 12:37 PM   #16
Jim45678
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M3 f80

Quote:
do you have any audio / video sound with your setup?

VRSF P + single midpipe differs from AA in sounds / quality ot its basically the same?
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2021, 01:22 PM   #17
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
I think you just need to decide on the tone you're after. EL and UEL fundamentally develop their pitch differently. Single mid is UEL but is like a deeper, smoother stock tone and EL S55 is more expressive, similar to 1M N54. Catless EL needs resonators and reducers, potentially multiple since uncorked S55 is just extremely raspy. Catless Single does better to reign in the rasp and is a lot cheaper.
      10-07-2021, 09:13 AM   #18
BoxKing
I Rock Your Girls Box
Rep

Quote:
TY for your thorough write up!

I have the VRSF DP setup.... and I have decided to go with a single mid-pipe Based on the tone alone, not price from Single to EL. BUTTTT... do I save 300$ and get the VRSF Single over the AA? I know this has been debated before, but it seems like you have been in teh exhaust seen a lot longer than I have, so I might just have to use your opinion to make my final purchase - which will hopefully be today.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2021, 11:26 AM   #19
slaughter.mode
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M4 ZCP  [9.80]
Quote:
TY for your thorough write up!

I have the VRSF DP setup.... and I have decided to go with a single mid-pipe Based on the tone alone, not price from Single to EL. BUTTTT... do I save 300$ and get the VRSF Single over the AA? I know this has been debated before, but it seems like you have been in teh exhaust seen a lot longer than I have, so I might just have to use your opinion to make my final purchase - which will hopefully be today.
I've only had the AA version but my buddy has the VRSF version and it also sounds great. I mean the design is a complete ripoff and unless they're using a different grade of stainless steel (doubt it) I don't think it wouldn't be a bad idea to save some bucks on VRSF.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2021, 11:29 AM   #20
BoxKing
I Rock Your Girls Box
Rep

Quote:
I've only had the AA version but my buddy has the VRSF version and it also sounds great. I mean the design is a complete ripoff and unless they're using a different grade of stainless steel (doubt it) I don't think it wouldn't be a bad idea to save some bucks on VRSF.
There is a great combo deal on an AA Single Mid + Remus with Carbon tips for under $4000.00, so Im going to go with AA, since the combo price is less than the separate paring for VRSF + Remus Carbon Tips.

Thanks once again... forums like this are amazing!
Appreciate 1
      10-07-2021, 11:35 AM   #21
slaughter.mode
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M4 ZCP  [9.80]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim45678 View Post
do you have any audio / video sound with your setup?

VRSF P + single midpipe differs from AA in sounds / quality ot its basically the same?
EL Sounds:

Quick 1-2 Rip
Driver Seat Revs
Outside Revs

Single Sounds:

Driver Seat Revs (Stock Turbos)
> I will get some clips with my upgraded turbos and post <

Last edited by slaughter.mode; 10-07-2021 at 11:41 AM..
Appreciate 1
Jim45678165.00
      10-07-2021, 11:39 AM   #22
slaughter.mode
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M4 ZCP  [9.80]
Quote:
There is a great combo deal on an AA Single Mid + Remus with Carbon tips for under $4000.00, so Im going to go with AA, since the combo price is less than the separate paring for VRSF + Remus Carbon Tips.

Thanks once again... forums like this are amazing!
I'm pretty sure I paid about $4K for my Remus alone so yeah that's a killer deal.
Appreciate 1
BoxKing293.00