Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

09-09-2021, 10:03 AM   #1585
dawei213
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by D_SheerDrivingPleasure View Post
thanks. Yeah, I left a lot of good meat on the bone. I can't recall the toe specs. What worked bests for you? This was 7 track days + ~3,000 street miles.

Is there anyway to adjust to a track alignment in the paddock and then revert back to a street setting at days end?
Yes, this is the way to do it for a dual duty car

Haven't i sent you my alignment sheet for this?
Would you be able to send your alignment sheet to me as well? Or post it for the general public?
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2021, 10:24 AM   #1586
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawei213 View Post
Would you be able to send your alignment sheet to me as well? Or post it for the general public?
I can't post a Word file here. But of course, send your email via PM and I'm happy to share

The document should be printed and taken to your alignment shop, the instructions are straightforward
Appreciate 2
      09-09-2021, 11:48 AM   #1587
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Corvette Z06

Quote:
It sounds really easy. Why don't I see anyone else in the paddock adjusting camber. I'm not undermining just trying to understand any cons to your approach. thx
I watched jfritz27 do this at NJMP - I kind of regret not doing it myself. It really wasn't bad and he marked out the position.
Appreciate 1
      09-09-2021, 06:43 PM   #1588
D_SheerDrivingPleasure
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Quote:
I can't post a Word file here. But of course, send your email via PM and I'm happy to share

The document should be printed and taken to your alignment shop, the instructions are straightforward
Alas the secret formula to the unattainable 2.06 WGI lap.

I even tried running a light fuel tank to save weight...that failed miserably.
Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow11468.50
      09-10-2021, 09:29 AM   #1589
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Years ago at BMW M School driving their M2, I got scolded over the radio by the instructors for stopping on the track. The car went limp, died and wouldn't turn back on. Turned out it was out of fuel. Why the fuel warning didn't come on I'll never know. Oh well, at least it wasn't in my car.

Since then I've been wary of having less than 1/4 tank on the track.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 1
      09-10-2021, 10:59 AM   #1590
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:

Unfortunately F8X M3s require always having more than half a tank in it. Any less and you'll fuel starve. It doesn't happen to everyone due to pace, but keep going faster and faster and it's a guarantee
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2021, 06:08 PM   #1591
sc_tr0jan_m3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 Grigio Telesto F80 M3 DCT

Quote:
Quote:

Unfortunately F8X M3s require always having more than half a tank in it. Any less and you'll fuel starve. It doesn't happen to everyone due to pace, but keep going faster and faster and it's a guarantee
Sadly that's been the case since e46 days prolly even before that.

2018 Grigio Telesto F80 M3 DCT | :: Bone Stock ::
2004 Titanium Silver E46 M3 6 Speed | :: Track Car ::
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2021, 09:09 PM   #1592
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc_tr0jan_m3 View Post
The saddest part is they completely solved this for the E9X generation. You can run that baby to one gallon and it was perfect

THEN they went and fucked up the F8X fueling!! Goddammit!!
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2021, 09:14 PM   #1593
dawei213
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sc_tr0jan_m3 View Post
The saddest part is they completely solved this for the E9X generation. You can run that baby to one gallon and it was perfect

THEN they went and fucked up the F8X fueling!! Goddammit!!
Hmmm, e9x doesn't have this fuel starvation issue, also support for after market harnesses, V8....so you're saying to buy an e9x for the track?!? lol
Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow11468.50
      09-10-2021, 10:15 PM   #1594
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
Hmmm, e9x doesn't have this fuel starvation issue, also support for after market harnesses, V8....so you're saying to buy an e9x for the track?!? lol
LOL

E9X is great for the track, but F8X is faster. It's nice to not have 991 GT3s horizon you in every straight.

There will be a solution for the fuel starvation issue, it's in the works
Appreciate 1
      09-11-2021, 02:00 PM   #1595
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

They look good! Event next week and then hopefully two next month! Still slow as per the caliper paint but that's okay.
Attached Images

jmg18658.50
RSXDC5707.00
      09-11-2021, 08:47 PM   #1596
dawei213
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon View Post
They look good! Event next week and then hopefully two next month! Still slow as per the caliper paint but that's okay.
What pads are you running with those discs?
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2021, 12:57 AM   #1597
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon View Post
What pads are you running with those discs?
Front Ferodo DS1.11
Rear Ferodo DS2500 because the 1.11s are still in transit from Italy

Been satisfied with the front 1.11 pads on stock rotors, too, and have also been using them on the street with no issues
      09-16-2021, 02:05 AM   #1598
uncle ben
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRLane View Post
Nope you won't see them as the slightest bit of material will cause the vibration. This exact scenario happened to me on my first track weekend and I was told it was warped rotors by my instructor which wasn't true. It's a common misdiagnosis.

The flex hone is cheap and easy. I'm 99.9% confident this will solve your issue. Going forward for track days get a track pad or if you're going to double duty consider a Ferodo 2500.

When you come into the paddock try not to touch the brakes. Pull into your spot and let the car come to rest in neutral then cut the engine. Don't use the parking brake or touch the brake pedal as the goal is keep the pads from clapping down and then sitting on a hot rotor.

Technically the parking brake is inside the rotor hat and isn't really an issue. But I think keeping hot metal from resting on hot metal is better practice. Just put the car in gear.

As pace picks up or you get sticker tires then explore BBK or at the very least dedicated track pads.

Well I used a flex hone and completely cleaned off my front rotors, and while the vibration has improved, it is still there. Also I noticed when my wheel was off, that when I spun the front disc, it would hang up on the brake pad at one spot on the disc, almost like the disc was warped. Pretty bummed that this didn’t fix things. Also have some ferodo 1:11 front and rear pads arriving on Monday. I figure I’ll install them and see if it helps with the vibration. If not it’s looking like a ap front big brake kit for me, as I don’t want to be replacing warped rotors after every couple of track days.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2021, 08:09 AM   #1599
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.63]
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle ben View Post
Quote:
Nope you won't see them as the slightest bit of material will cause the vibration. This exact scenario happened to me on my first track weekend and I was told it was warped rotors by my instructor which wasn't true. It's a common misdiagnosis.

The flex hone is cheap and easy. I'm 99.9% confident this will solve your issue. Going forward for track days get a track pad or if you're going to double duty consider a Ferodo 2500.

When you come into the paddock try not to touch the brakes. Pull into your spot and let the car come to rest in neutral then cut the engine. Don't use the parking brake or touch the brake pedal as the goal is keep the pads from clapping down and then sitting on a hot rotor.

Technically the parking brake is inside the rotor hat and isn't really an issue. But I think keeping hot metal from resting on hot metal is better practice. Just put the car in gear.

As pace picks up or you get sticker tires then explore BBK or at the very least dedicated track pads.

Well I used a flex hone and completely cleaned off my front rotors, and while the vibration has improved, it is still there. Also I noticed when my wheel was off, that when I spun the front disc, it would hang up on the brake pad at one spot on the disc, almost like the disc was warped. Pretty bummed that this didn't fix things. Also have some ferodo 1:11 front and rear pads arriving on Monday. I figure I'll install them and see if it helps with the vibration. If not it's looking like a ap front big brake kit for me, as I don't want to be replacing warped rotors after every couple of track days.
I have AP 9668/9449 and previously ST 60/40 and when I spin the rotor, it comes in contact with some pad on both sets. I don't think that means the rotor is warped.
      09-16-2021, 08:16 AM   #1600
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.63]
Quote:
Quote:

Well I used a flex hone and completely cleaned off my front rotors, and while the vibration has improved, it is still there. Also I noticed when my wheel was off, that when I spun the front disc, it would hang up on the brake pad at one spot on the disc, almost like the disc was warped. Pretty bummed that this didn't fix things. Also have some ferodo 1:11 front and rear pads arriving on Monday. I figure I'll install them and see if it helps with the vibration. If not it's looking like a ap front big brake kit for me, as I don't want to be replacing warped rotors after every couple of track days.
Can you post a picture of one of your rotors post the honing?
      09-16-2021, 11:18 AM   #1601
uncle ben
Captain
Canada
Rep

I’ll see if I can take a picture tonight. But I can assure you that I removed all pad residue on the rotor and got it down to the bare metal. The front rotors had a very thick layer of pad material which looked black and shiney, but I was able to hone it all away and get to the bright silver disc.

I was thinking of having the front discs machined. That way they are completely clean and straight.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2021, 11:36 AM   #1602
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.63]
Quote:
I'll see if I can take a picture tonight. But I can assure you that I removed all pad residue on the rotor and got it down to the bare metal. The front rotors had a very thick layer of pad material which looked black and shiney, but I was able to hone it all away and get to the bright silver disc.

I was thinking of having the front discs machined. That way they are completely clean and straight.
If a shops is able and willing I'd go that route. The AP kit is awesome but might be overkill investment if you're only planning on a couple days a year. That said, they generally hold their resale value…

Good luck man!
      09-16-2021, 12:00 PM   #1603
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
If a shops is able and willing I'd go that route. The AP kit is awesome but might be overkill investment if you're only planning on a couple days a year. That said, they generally hold their resale value…

Good luck man!
remember any race kit should not be used in winter/salt, and that they absolutely suck for street use. The 'antirattle kit' does very very little.

Also, in terms of resale:
AP BBK, price paid: 4300
AP BBK, sold after 8 days of use: under 3000 after listing for a year. This is not 'great resale'
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2021, 12:14 PM   #1604
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.63]
Quote:
Quote:

Good luck man!
remember any race kit should not be used in winter/salt, and that they absolutely suck for street use. The 'antirattle kit' does very very little.

Also, in terms of resale:
AP BBK, price paid: 4300
AP BBK, sold after 8 days of use: under 3000 after listing for a year. This is not 'great resale'
I don't use rattle kit and I don't notice any noise. Granted my car makes a lot of other clunks and noises already and it's not a street car. But I'll drive to / from track, shops, etc.

I think recovering anything more than 50% after track use even if only 8 days is a solid return.

Further, the rotors in your ad looked like they had some heat in them and it's a rear kit for which you were asking close to retail.

Lastly, your negative opinions of AP are well documented and likely didn't help in instilling confidence in buying your used kit.

I guess I'm suggesting I don't think yours was well positioned for a quick sale. 😬
      09-16-2021, 12:23 PM   #1605
uncle ben
Captain
Canada
Rep

I figure even if the disc isn’t warped, it still won’t hurt to have it turned/machined. Then at least I can eliminate it as the cause of the vibration.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2021, 12:31 PM   #1606
uncle ben
Captain
Canada
Rep

My car is only summer driven (weekends) and I plan on 6-10 track days a season. I know that a big brake kit is overkill, but I do not want to have issues with warping discs after track days. I would probably be happy with just pads and fluid, and that was my plan, but if I have continued vibration issues, I want an alternative solution. After searching “brake vibration” I seen that some people have replaced their discs multiple times only
to have the problem return.
Appreciate 0