Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > F80 M3 / M4 Pricing, Ordering, European Delivery

03-04-2021, 02:51 PM   #1
rajahfl
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M8 GC

Trade in car with tuning software?

Hi,

I’m in time crunch for reasons that I don’t feel like explaining. I’m going to trade in my car for a new car. I don’t have time to remove the DINAN piggyback before I do the trade. How is the presence of the tuning device going to affect the BMW dealer? Will they reject my trade in? Will they not give me as much? Will they not care bc I’m trading in and buying one of their cars?

I searched the forum and could not find a similar question.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2021, 02:59 PM   #2
White340
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Comp / 2022 X5 45e

I think it depends on a few things. Obvious answer you're gonna get is remove it. When I picked up my m3 at a dealer in Boston I returned my 340. He specifically told me that after his look around of my turn in, I'm no longer liable for anything in that state. He knew I was from NY. Not sure why he said that but I can tell you his look around wasn't thorough.

If you're buying something from them then it definitely helps.
Appreciate 1
rajahfl38.50
      03-04-2021, 04:08 PM   #3
N1rve
Racecar Driver
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [9.63]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajahfl View Post
Hi,

I’m in time crunch for reasons that I don’t feel like explaining. I’m going to trade in my car for a new car. I don’t have time to remove the DINAN piggyback before I do the trade. How is the presence of the tuning device going to affect the BMW dealer? Will they reject my trade in? Will they not give me as much? Will they not care bc I’m trading in and buying one of their cars?

I searched the forum and could not find a similar question.

Thanks

Typically no. You trade a car in and they give you money for it in whatever condition it is in. I traded in a fully modified track ready FRS (Big Brake Kit, Exhaust, Suspension, after market wheels, etc) and the dealer didn't bat an eye. They did admit it would be hard to sell

2019 BMW ///M4 - Alpine White | Sakhir Orange/Black Leather | M-DCT | Executive Package | 19" Black 437M Wheels | Carbon Fiber Trim | Sunroof | Active Blind Spot | Heated Steering Wheel | Adaptive M Suspension
Appreciate 2
rajahfl38.50
icegrill2078.00
      03-04-2021, 05:06 PM   #4
rajahfl
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by White340 View Post
I think it depends on a few things. Obvious answer you're gonna get is remove it. When I picked up my m3 at a dealer in Boston I returned my 340. He specifically told me that after his look around of my turn in, I'm no longer liable for anything in that state. He knew I was from NY. Not sure why he said that but I can tell you his look around wasn't thorough.

If you're buying something from them then it definitely helps.
Thanks, hopefully they'll be cool with it b/c the two Dinan dealers in the area are not available before I'm scheduled to go in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by N1rve View Post
Typically no. You trade a car in and they give you money for it in whatever condition it is in. I traded in a fully modified track ready FRS (Big Brake Kit, Exhaust, Suspension, after market wheels, etc) and the dealer didn't bat an eye. They did admit it would be hard to sell
Thanks, that's crazy. I would've loved to know what the dealer mustve been thinking. To you he was like whereas internally he was like
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2021, 05:08 PM   #5
N1rve
Racecar Driver
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [9.63]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajahfl View Post
Thanks, hopefully they'll be cool with it b/c the two Dinan dealers in the area are not available before I'm scheduled to go in.

Thanks, that's crazy. I would've loved to know what the dealer mustve been thinking. To you he was like whereas internally he was like
Yeah, and I traded it into Longo Toyota, not carmax or anything. So it went back to the dealership I bought it from.

Oddly, their original offer was 500 more than Carmax.

2019 BMW ///M4 - Alpine White | Sakhir Orange/Black Leather | M-DCT | Executive Package | 19" Black 437M Wheels | Carbon Fiber Trim | Sunroof | Active Blind Spot | Heated Steering Wheel | Adaptive M Suspension
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2021, 05:12 PM   #6
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

In the not so distant future, BMW will connect the car to the computer before allowing you to trade it in/return the lease.

Then, whoever has tuned the car will have to buy it out. The lease documentation is extremely clear even if they don't choose to enforce it. Zero modifications.
Appreciate 1
RugbyBro7572.50
      03-04-2021, 05:21 PM   #7
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
In the not so distant future, BMW will connect the car to the computer before allowing you to trade it in/return the lease.

Then, whoever has tuned the car will have to buy it out. The lease documentation is extremely clear even if they don't choose to enforce it. Zero modifications.
Unrelated to OP/this thread, but I never quite understood the logic of heavily modifying or even tuning a leased car that you do not expect to buyout. I'd fully expect BMW will be much harder on this going forward due to the exponential growth of flash tuning in the past few years
SYT_Shadow11421.00
      03-04-2021, 06:24 PM   #8
icegrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Yes, typically the less the dealership looks at the car the better for them. I've never had a dealership scrutinize my trade. They can always send the car to auction and will ALWAYS make a profit no matter the car!
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2021, 11:50 AM   #9
rajahfl
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RugbyBro View Post
Unrelated to OP/this thread, but I never quite understood the logic of heavily modifying or even tuning a leased car that you do not expect to buyout. I'd fully expect BMW will be much harder on this going forward due to the exponential growth of flash tuning in the past few years
I’ll answer this Tuning my BMWs with something mild with a Stage 1 tune is just no-brainer extra power. If I buy a piggyback tune like Dinantronics then I can easily enjoy it while I have the car, remove it, sell the DINANtronics and return the leased vehicle. I may lose 50-60% on the original price of the tune but it’s worth the fun times with the extra power. Also I’m usually careful about not scraping wheels but I’m sure we know bmw wheels are super expensive. So I’ve even put new wheels on my leased cars, scraped them and then reinstalled the factory wheels before turning in the lease. No lease end fees and I just sell the wheels. Win-win IMO
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2021, 12:37 PM   #10
Silverlining_m2
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2, 2024 m235i

Wasn't a lease but I traded in my 435i at bmw for more than they offered online (base spec), and it was tuned stage 2 with dp, fmic, cp. It had tint, extensions, smoked reflectors, splitters, diffuser, matte black grilles, fender wings , amd bilstein b14 coilovers. They came up $4k on the offer and I delivered the car to them with the oem downpipe in the trunk.
rajahfl38.50