Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

06-19-2021, 05:08 AM   #8537
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecnniqe View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Quote:
Quote:
That truck is actually pretty damn sick.
It is. I really like what Ford is doing EV wise.

When it gets time to move on from ICE it seems Ford makes what I want.

Normal looking vehicles, good range (range listed is with tow apparently), usability and a proper steering wheel
What I would love to see is how they implement the EV truck into the work force. If they can successfully do that, the EV truck will be a win.
Ford trucks and vans constitute 40 percent of the country's commercial vehicles and F vehicles for 8 percent of the workforce.

The F-150 Lightning is specifically designed for labor, including 11 outlets designed for plugging in power tools, a front-trunk storage area under the hood, and a special model made for fleets.

They've also been saying it's great for emergency usage, with how it can be a clean moving power generator for lights and heating, which could translate well to mobile command stations for police and rescue too since the F-150 comes with the installation of a bidirectional charger.

Think it'll do great, yet to see what the competition is up to in the EV game.
It does sound good without a doubt, but…..

…I'm a little hesitant to say it'll translate to police and rescue. Sometimes we don't shut our patrol vehicles off for 24 hours or more. They literally run all day and night. I have a lot of respect for Ford SUV's/Crown Vic's.
Appreciate 1
minn1914028.50
      06-19-2021, 05:12 AM   #8538
Tecnniqe
Sad ///M noises
No_Country
Rep
Drives: ///M4 COMPETITION

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Normal looking vehicles, good range (range listed is with tow apparently), usability and a proper steering wheel
What I would love to see is how they implement the EV truck into the work force. If they can successfully do that, the EV truck will be a win.
Ford trucks and vans constitute 40 percent of the country's commercial vehicles and F vehicles for 8 percent of the workforce.

The F-150 Lightning is specifically designed for labor, including 11 outlets designed for plugging in power tools, a front-trunk storage area under the hood, and a special model made for fleets.

They've also been saying it's great for emergency usage, with how it can be a clean moving power generator for lights and heating, which could translate well to mobile command stations for police and rescue too since the F-150 comes with the installation of a bidirectional charger.

…I'm a little hesitant to say it'll translate to police and rescue. Sometimes we don't shut our patrol vehicles off for 24 hours or more.
Of course it depends and it will not replace the usual vehicles for you guys but in theory it's a generator on wheels and it could be useful for shorter ops where you need some power or electrical tools.

Charging(time) is still the major issue for EVs
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2021, 05:15 AM   #8539
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

…I'm a little hesitant to say it'll translate to police and rescue. Sometimes we don't shut our patrol vehicles off for 24 hours or more.
Of course it depends and it will not replace the usual vehicles for you guys but in theory it's a generator on wheels and it could be useful for shorter ops where you need some power or electrical tools.

Charging(time) is still the major issue for EVs
Agreed! I'm hopeful that the EV infrastructure improves substantially over the next 20 years. The forward momentum is slow speed.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2021, 05:30 AM   #8540
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Does this mean the F8X in the US don't use the adaptive LED lights features?

So weird it's not allowed...
They are adaptive to the extent that they swivel in the direction of the steering wheel, but that's it. However, the US DOT does not allow for dynamically varying the pattern of the light beam. So variable light distribution low beam and anti dazzle high beams are therefore no permitted in the US. Transport Canada, which usually follows the lead of the US DOT, decided otherwise for once and went ahead to legalize them in Canada a few years back. Sadly, BMW have been lazy and have kept those features decoded for all North American cars. My new Porsche however has the all the cool Matrix headlight feature fully activated.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 5
Tecnniqe4197.00
Sedan_Clan25055.00
minn1914028.50
stein_325i25083.00
alex23642861.50
      06-19-2021, 05:32 AM   #8541
Tecnniqe
Sad ///M noises
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
Quote:

They are adaptive to the extent that they swivel in the direction of the steering wheel, but that's it. However, the US DOT does not allow for dynamically varying the pattern of the light beam. So variable light distribution low beam and anti dazzle high beams are therefore no permitted in the US. Transport Canada, which usually follows the lead of the US DOT, decided otherwise for once and went ahead to legalize them in Canada a few years back. Sadly, BMW have been lazy and have kept those features decoded for all North American cars. My new Porsche however has the all the cool Matrix headlight feature fully activated.
Appreciate 1
F32Fleet3570.00
      06-19-2021, 05:38 AM   #8542
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Are there ways to code the other features? Mine is coming with the standard Porsche LED's.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2021, 08:03 AM   #8543
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Are there ways to code the other features? Mine is coming with the standard Porsche LED's.
The standard LED on the 992 do not allow for VLD or ADHB, you need the matrix LED for that.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2021, 08:03 AM   #8544
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:

TH is a Canadian national treasure.
Agreed, the Ice Cube bit had me dying
Tecnniqe4197.00
Tacoma944.50
      06-19-2021, 08:06 AM   #8545
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
The standard LED on the 992 do not allow for VLD or ADHB, you need the matrix LED for that.
Oh ok! I like the black housing of the regular LED's. Plus I've already maxed out my $140k-before-discount budget. Lol!
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2021, 10:41 AM   #8546
Jockey
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 992 C4S

Quote:
Quote:
Amazing that I coded that into my 2015 BMW LEDs but 6 years later you can only get that from Porsche with their top tier lights.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2021, 11:41 AM   #8547
pbar
Captain
Rep
Drives: 992 GTS, Tesla M3P

Quote:
But thiiiiiis made me smile….
I've been wondering if there's a 'stealth hitch' equivalent for a 992... (for carrying bikes)

...don't suppose you got close enough to see what age that car was?
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2021, 12:16 PM   #8548
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jockey View Post
Amazing that I coded that into my 2015 BMW LEDs but 6 years later you can only get that from Porsche with their top tier lights.
Those optional LED lights we had on the 2015 M3/4 were also the "top tier" from BMW

Last edited by CanAutM3; 06-19-2021 at 01:35 PM..
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25055.00
      06-19-2021, 02:45 PM   #8549
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbar View Post
Quote:
But thiiiiiis made me smile….
I've been wondering if there's a 'stealth hitch' equivalent for a 992... (for carrying bikes)

...don't suppose you got close enough to see what age that car was?
That's a 991 GT3.
Appreciate 1
pbar1400.00
      06-19-2021, 04:42 PM   #8550
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Sooooo….

….a co worker bought a non-M beaver. I was surprised to see it when I arrived at the station. One of my Sgts. drove her OG M2 today. It's her first ///M!
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
FormulaMMM3662.50
Tecnniqe4197.00
minn1914028.50
      06-19-2021, 04:53 PM   #8551
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Business geek question again!

------------ The business-timid should turn away now ... RUN! ------------

So I was working on something else and messing with customer-acquisition-cost (CAC) & life-time-value (LTV), especially as it relates to loyalty clubs like airlines/hotels or recurring revenue memberships like Prime & CostCo ...

Anyway, a quick summary:

(1.) Lowering CAC significantly improves revenue & margin, usually done via marketing & bring-a-friend type programs

(2.) Increasing LTV significantly improves revenue & margin, done in 4 ways: increase ~order, >order freq, >customer life, increase gross margin

So what's this have to do with BMW?

Well the obvious occured to me, but in a more academic way: by pursuing a funky design strategy, BMW is attempting to lower CAC, using the free press & controversy as a CAC marketing program ... and maybe they'd also argue as an LTV program in that customers will buy more vehicles and/or increase purchase frequency by trading in for new ...

However these bets would be placed against the exact same risks:

* Marketing/controversy turns customers away, i.e., CAC grows
* LTV falls as existing customers order less (i.e., instead of an SUV & sedan, just an SUV)
* LTV drops as customers DON'T re-up! i.e., you keep your F8x
* LTV falls as existing customer switch to a new brand, i.e., Porsche!

Everytime BMW releases a new design these days the fanbois be like, "ZOMG BMW knows their market!", but that's obviously crap since none of these metrics have had time to play out yet, i.e., does the new CAC & LTV break trend? hold? and is that temporary or ... will it be permanent

Further I'd argue given the new X-class designs don't yet have the beaver face - except zero-volume EVs - we have to conclude BMW is looking at CAC & LTV and getting nervous ...

Whenever a business takes a pause on a new rollout strategy, we need to pay attention - and in this case it seems pretty obvious BMW's new customer growth is de-trending (i.e, growing less, stalled, or falling) and that's showing up in their LTV numbers.

Last edited by GrussGott; 06-19-2021 at 05:10 PM..
Appreciate 2
FormulaMMM3662.50
F32Fleet3570.00
      06-19-2021, 05:44 PM   #8552
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3CX

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Business geek question again!

------------ The business-timid should turn away now ... RUN! ------------

So I was working on something else and messing with customer-acquisition-cost (CAC) & life-time-value (LTV), especially as it relates to loyalty clubs like airlines/hotels or recurring revenue memberships like Prime & CostCo ...

Anyway, a quick summary:

(1.) Lowering CAC significantly improves revenue & margin, usually done via marketing & bring-a-friend type programs

(2.) Increasing LTV significantly improves revenue & margin, done in 4 ways: increase ~order, >order freq, >customer life, increase gross margin

So what's this have to do with BMW?

Well the obvious occured to me, but in a more academic way: by pursuing a funky design strategy, BMW is attempting to lower CAC, using the free press & controversy as a CAC marketing program ... and maybe they'd also argue as an LTV program in that customers will buy more vehicles and/or increase purchase frequency by trading in for new ...

However these bets would be placed against the exact same risks:

* Marketing/controversy turns customers away, i.e., CAC grows
* LTV falls as existing customers order less (i.e., instead of an SUV & sedan, just an SUV)
* LTV drops as customers DON'T re-up! i.e., you keep your F8x
* LTV falls as existing customer switch to a new brand, i.e., Porsche!

Everytime BMW releases a new design these days the fanbois be like, "ZOMG BMW knows their market!", but that's obviously crap since none of these metrics have had time to play out yet, i.e., does the new CAC & LTV break trend? hold? and is that temporary or ... will it be permanent

Further I'd argue given the new X-class designs don't yet have the beaver face - except zero-volume EVs - we have to conclude BMW is looking at CAC & LTV and getting nervous ...

Whenever a business takes a pause on a new rollout strategy, we need to pay attention - and in this case it seems pretty obvious BMW's new customer growth is de-trending (i.e, growing less, stalled, or falling) and that's showing up in their LTV numbers.
All this sounds like what I call the MBA Employment Act.

1. Come up with dumb idea to fix what isn't broken. Create PowerPoint to pitch new strategy.

2. Implement strategy.

3. Review Strategy. If it didn't work, blame someone who had no responsibility whatsoever and fire them. Change it and pitch with new PowerPoint. If it did work, find something wrong with it, tweak it by firing everyone that made it work and pitch cost savings with new PowerPoint.

4. Bask in the glow of unearned stock options.
Appreciate 3
FormulaMMM3662.50
GrussGott18164.00
minn1914028.50
      06-19-2021, 06:04 PM   #8553
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by F8SEVEN View Post

The MBA Employment Act
If it didn't work, blame someone who had no responsibility whatsoever and fire them. ... If it did work, find something wrong with it, tweak it by firing everyone that made it work and pitch cost savings
Hey, MBAs just play the music leadership wants to hear

Appreciate 1
F32Fleet3570.00
      06-19-2021, 06:23 PM   #8554
Tecnniqe
Sad ///M noises
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Sooooo….

….a co worker bought a non-M beaver. I was surprised to see it when I arrived at the station. One of my Sgts. drove her OG M2 today. It's her first ///M!
That's a good Sargant, not so much co worker
Appreciate 1
F32Fleet3570.00
      06-19-2021, 06:24 PM   #8555
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

The other thing I was wondering is how BMW stumbled on this new strategy , probably consultants to F8SEVEN's point ... but how are they tracking CAC & LTV and/or their version of it? I doubt dealers would, but then BMW must be doing it somehow ...

But I bet BMWNA uses vehicle registration data + BMWFS data + dealer sales numbers & finance type + demographics data & public datasets.

If you ran analytics against that you'd be able to easily get to:

▸ CAC - i.e., how much do we spend to acquire a new customer?

▸ "basket size" - i.e., how many vehicles did household X buy?
▸ "frequency" - i.e., how often does person X buy a car?
▸ "return rate" - i.e., how many customers buy BMW again?

These numbers have to be de-trending down otherwise BMW would be updating X-vehicles with the new funky design ....

Also, it's been awhile since we've seen this guy (except here) right?

I have a feeling that dude was increasing CAC.
Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan25055.00
F32Fleet3570.00
      06-19-2021, 06:25 PM   #8556
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by F8SEVEN View Post

The MBA Employment Act
If it didn't work, blame someone who had no responsibility whatsoever and fire them. ... If it did work, find something wrong with it, tweak it by firing everyone that made it work and pitch cost savings
Hey, MBAs just play the music leadership wants to hear

[IMG]https://media.giphy.com/media/QZMzeEH4yVLji/source.gif[/IMG]
Suits is one of my favorite shows.

Quote:
Quote:
Sooooo….

That's a good Sargant, not so much co worker
Lol! I'm trying to get her to go to Thermal.
Appreciate 1
      06-19-2021, 06:48 PM   #8557
Tecnniqe
Sad ///M noises
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Also, it's been awhile since we've seen this guy (except here) right?

Probably had an accident during another commercial driving like that
Appreciate 1
GrussGott18164.00
      06-19-2021, 07:23 PM   #8558
fiveohwblow
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15, E46 & M3, F82

Quote:
Suits is one of my favorite shows.
Hands down one of the best shows of all times.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25055.00