Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

01-19-2021, 01:39 PM   #1
Fro24
Rep
Drives: M4

Emergency, Can't open door on dead battery? (No window popdown)

I'm in a situation where the car is unlocked but the battery is completely dead so I can't open the door to get to the hood latch to jump the car. When I tried to open the door it wouldn't move. This is an F83 convertible M4 and usually when opening the door the window will come down a little to clear the weather strip, but the mechanism isn't working since it's dead. If I pull harder on the door, will it open but possibley damage the seals or break the glass? What do people do in this situation?

Thank You

Last edited by Fro24; 01-19-2021 at 01:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2021, 02:34 PM   #2
hC1001
Captain
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fro24 View Post
I'm in a situation where the car is unlocked but the battery is completely dead so I can't open the door to get to the hood latch to jump the car. When I tried to open the door it wouldn't move. This is an F83 convertible M4 and usually when opening the door the window will come down a little to clear the weather strip, but the mechanism isn't working since it's dead. If I pull harder on the door, will it open but possibley damage the seals or break the glass? What do people do in this situation?

Thank You
Use the physical key to unlock the driver door.
Open front hood and connect power.

This situation is the very reason why i had my spare keyfob key cut.

Last edited by hC1001; 01-19-2021 at 02:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2021, 02:43 PM   #3
thestimp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 X3MC MBB - C-17 Globemaster

Garage List
2022 X3mC  [10.00]
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
I think there are also leads under the car you can connect a charger to for stuff like this. Google it for your series.

Other wise, yes your comfort access key is also a physical key inside. Pull the plastic cover off your door handle to expose the lock.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2021, 02:44 PM   #4
Fro24
Rep

Door is unlocked, but my issue is pulling the door still does nothing. I even relocked it then reunlocked it with the physical key. I'm wondering if I need to pull harder than usual to open it since the window isn't dropping down like it usually does when opening (it's a frameless door). Trying to find out if anyone knows whether doing this will break the window or rip the seals though, or if it's built to tolerate this in these situations

Edit: pulling any harder makes it feel like the door handle is about to break...

Last edited by Fro24; 01-19-2021 at 02:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2021, 02:53 PM   #5
Fro24
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestimp View Post
I think there are also leads under the car you can connect a charger to for stuff like this. Google it for your series.

Other wise, yes your comfort access key is also a physical key inside. Pull the plastic cover off your door handle to expose the lock.
Just found a post online about someone conecting a jumper to the license plate bulb wires to unlock the car while it doesn't have a battery. I don't know enough about electronics, would this same method provide power in my situation for the car to drop the window down when opening the door (keeping in mind I have a dead battery vs a missing one and my car is already unlocked)?

https://www.bimmerfest.com/threads/n...d-out.1398503/
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2021, 02:54 PM   #6
khoa@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: F83

Quote:
Originally Posted by hC1001 View Post
Use the physical key to unlock the driver door.
Open front hood and connect power.

This situation is the very reason why i had my spare keyfob key cut.
OP said his doors are unlocked. He is just worried that he might damage the windows in his F83 since the window won't slightly roll down when try opening the door.

I have a F83 myself too but never been in OP's situation. I would love to hear if anyone has a solution.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2021, 03:02 PM   #7
Fro24
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoa@x-ph.com View Post
OP said his doors are unlocked. He is just worried that he might damage the windows in his F83 since the window won't slightly roll down when try opening the door.

I have a F83 myself too but never been in OP's situation. I would love to hear if anyone has a solution.
Unfortunately I just tried pulling harder. Door won't budge and door handle feels like I'm going to break it. Stumped
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2021, 03:06 PM   #8
JamesGames
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E60 550i|F82 M4|F48 X1|VA STi

Quote:
Unfortunately I just tried pulling harder. Door won't budge and door handle feels like I'm going to break it. Stumped
Is the window physically going under the door frame/trim area? From what I recall, the door is still able to be opened just with more force because of the tightness of the seal to the window. I was under the assumption that the window moving up when you close was just to seal better and it shouldn't hit the frame or be stuck inside that door frame / trim area.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2021, 03:30 PM   #9
hC1001
Captain
Rep

Quote:

Sorry, I missed that completely. I also have a sedan and dont have/need the auto window roll down/up when opening doors.

Maybe try pulling the door and then using a trim tool to lift the seal over it and run it across towards the front?

Last edited by hC1001; 01-19-2021 at 04:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2021, 06:43 PM   #10
Fro24
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesGames View Post
Is the window physically going under the door frame/trim area? From what I recall, the door is still able to be opened just with more force because of the tightness of the seal to the window. I was under the assumption that the window moving up when you close was just to seal better and it shouldn't hit the frame or be stuck inside that door frame / trim area.
Your right, looks like it's not truly under the trim. Was able to resolve it. Even though the the car was unlocked (you could see the pin through the window unlocked too), there must've been another lock mechanism. I found a random thread mentioning an "emergency unlock". Pull the handle first, then insert key and twist counterclockwise (the direction that would typically LOCK the car). Tried it and it worked, was able to get inside, release the hood, and jump the car. Hope this helps someone in the future. Thanks for all the input to everyone
Appreciate 7
9M711233.50
c12h231.00
hC1001591.00
agentrnge380.50
      01-19-2021, 06:47 PM   #11
Fro24
Rep

Quote:
Sorry, I missed that completely. I also have a sedan and dont have/need the auto window roll down/up when opening doors.

Maybe try pulling the door and then using a trim tool to lift the seal over it and run it across towards the front?
No worries, that's a good idea too about using a trim tool! But it turns out I had to do some "emergency unlock" method to open the door and get inside. Just explained it in the above post. Then I was able to jump it. BMW and it's quirks...
Appreciate 2
Suds1598.50
hC1001591.00
      01-19-2021, 07:22 PM   #12
hC1001
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Your right, looks like it's not truly under the trim. Was able to resolve it. Even though the the car was unlocked (you could see the pin through the window unlocked too), there must've been another lock mechanism. I found a random thread mentioning an "emergency unlock". Pull the handle first, then insert key and twist counterclockwise (the direction that would typically LOCK the car). Tried it and it worked, was able to get inside, release the hood, and jump the car. Hope this helps someone in the future. Thanks for all the input to everyone
Counterclockwise is always open for Bmws. I have a E36 and E46.
For the F80, i had to do the same procedure you listed to open with the key. Pull handle and then turn the key for the doorpin to pop up and then pull the handle more to open the door.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2021, 03:19 AM   #13
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Germany
Rep
Drives: M4CPC // HP4 Comp.

Quote:

I had the situation that the window on passengers side wont drop at open the door and got pulled accidentally through the roofframe. Wasnt hard as expect and did no visible damage. Ok, I wont try that every day but for once or twice I wouldnt care. As long as you dont try to close the door that way

Some say, that my scrotum has its own small gravity field and when Im slowing down that brake lights come on at my buttox
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2022, 09:26 PM   #14
TommyLights
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Man

Quote:
Counterclockwise is always open for Bmws. I have a E36 and E46.
For the F80, i had to do the same procedure you listed to open with the key. Pull handle and then turn the key for the doorpin to pop up and then pull the handle more to open the door.
Going to try this method tomorrow. I locked my car and left it alone for a few days and came back to a dead battery and locked doors. I hope it works!
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2022, 05:54 AM   #15
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

I'm not a Vert but I did have a drained battery on my F82 coupe and had to pull the door open. The window did pull in when I pulled the door handle hard, and I had to push the window in while closing so it didn't bang the frame.

Only made that mistake once.
No damage, just fear…

I would NOT recommend to try a "rig up" and attempt to charge the battery through a light bulb socket. One might fry something expensive that way.