ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

08-22-2014, 09:25 AM   #23
rubber_ducky
Colonel
Rep
Drives: roach coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by jskrilla View Post
No idea you could get it in AW, how much would it be?
Not sure if you're kidding, but in case you're not...

AW = Alpine White = zero cost
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2014, 09:31 AM   #24
jskrilla
Second Lieutenant
Albania
Rep
Drives: M235i Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_ducky View Post
Not sure if you're kidding, but in case you're not...

AW = Alpine White = zero cost
I'm gonna blame this one on the not having coffee in the morning completely read what you said wrong LMAO
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2014, 10:42 AM   #25
Sir Loin
M3AT LOVER
United_States
Rep
Drives: Silverstone F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickMonet View Post
WTF - 2 weeks and buyer's remorse already!!!??? You didn't even give depreciation a chance to kick in.

Honestly, I find this thread depressing.

Sir Loin - the master of the Options Survey - doesn't want anything to do with them now.
Not really buyer's remorse. I like all the features I paid for. I like that my car has all the features I possibly want. My points in starting this thread are really on the value of the options an packages based on some usage experience on them, and how loaded a base car is. With discussions on M3/M4 vs. other cars, $63K for this kind of performance with lots of standard features is really a value.
      08-22-2014, 10:52 AM   #26
Sir Loin
M3AT LOVER
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 90TT View Post
If you are considering getting a stripped car (stripper car makes me think of nekkid wimmenz...), why would you get the 19"s? The 18" wheels are significantly lighter, and actually look better IMO. Certainly the decreased unsprung weight will matter more for handling and acceleration than the few lbs you have saved elsewhere.

As for the Exec package, you mentioned you liked the extended leather, well that comes with the Exec package, and the heated seats and steering wheel will be a very nice touch. Additionally, you might not really value the comfort access right no, but it will be one of those things that will likely bug you down the road. And it will add very little weight.

Finally, you said you liked the DCT for the ease of use, but honestlty, it does add the most weight of all the packages. Yeah, the acceleration numbers from 0-60 are better, but in general, the reduced weight of the 6MT will make a difference in many situations, both straight line and curves.

The only thing I would change on my order is to get the aluminum blade trim, and go with the 18's, instead of the 19's. Of course, I don't have my M4 yet, so that might all change. I got it with the Exec pkg, moonroof, 6 MT, LED lighting, HK sound, adaptive suspension, Enhanced USB, Black/black, and carbon trim.

Honestly, the amount of weight you will save by getting a stripped M will not make a difference in anything noticeable by you. Same thing when people get a new exhaust that adds 10 hp, or an intake that adds 5. Compared to the 400+ HP of the M, those differences, by themselves, are insignificant, and no-ones butt-dyno is tuned well enough to notice a 5, or 10 HP difference. Heck, even a 20 HP difference is likely to not be noticed by most people. Same thing with cutting weight on a 3400+ lb car. You won't notice a 50 lb difference.
As I said in my last reply, my point for the thread is on value, not really on weight. I am sorry for not making it clear in the OP. As KennyPowers mentioned, the weight between 18" and 19" is only a couple pounds. It is basically a wash. For me, I am probably 50 pounds lighter than most male population here, so I already have weight advantage over most of you So 18" and 19" choices come down to looks, perception of value, and that 18" wheels are tiny bit lighter and should have better handling on track.

Hopefully discussions in this thread will help new buyers decide on what options they want.
      08-22-2014, 10:53 AM   #27
moonsault270
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 15 F82

Good thread, I was going to mention changes I would have made if I could order all over again when I finally got around to my review.

My build:
MW / Black Extended/ CF Trim/19" Black Wheels: Would keep as is with the exception of extended. I would 100% go full leather. I did not get it due to the budget I set but as you read below I would cut money elsewhere. Finally got around to seeing every exterior color in person except SO. I honestly like the coupe in every color I’ve seen it in, some obviously more than others but it’s the Stormtrooper fan in me that keeps me going black and white. Was never a huge fan of all black wheels but they look great being a black/aluminum mix and they stand out from the standard 4 series which to many is indistinguishable from the m4

DCT-Keep –Haven’t had a manual since my 95 Accord worried I don’t even know how to drive one anymore!

LED-Keep.. Pricey yes, worth it...maybe not, but the LEDs are sharp and every time I see another car BMW or otherwise with LEDs I would kick myself in the ass for not getting them. The DRLs really do look sick.

HK-Keep. Although I am not blown away by it, I can only imagine how bad the stock radio is. Sometimes it sounds really good depending on the source. I find Spotify to sound the best because you can set the equalizer in the app. HK is good, not great but worth the $900 or whatever it is.

EXEC Pac- Definitely , absolutely no doubt about it NO, not for $4k. I struggled back and forth with this option right up to production. If money was no concern sure I would buy it along with every other option and individual but I set my budget to $75k, wound up spending about $78k and with NY tax (I purchased) I came just a tad over $80k. I would skip this and go full leather in a heartbeat. HUD is completely overrated, I heard so many people talk about how "must have" it is but I really don’t see what the big deal is. I find it distracting actually. Here in NYC you constantly have to look down at the road for potholes and it just gets in the way. Plus the navigation arrows, digital speedometer and music info can all be displayed in the instrument cluster... I really don’t see the appeal of HUD, the concept is cool and once the technology advances I am sure it will do amazing things eventually but I can do without it easily. Used it for a few days , shut it off and haven’t used it since. Sat radio, heating steering wheel and rear view/pdc are nice to have but I could live without. It’s the damn comfort access, I need it!!! lol. But every time I'm fumbling thru my pockets, gym bag or briefcase for my keys Ill just think of the $4k I saved and how nice my leather dash looks.

Suspension- 100% Keep. To me the beauty of this car is being able to keep everything in comfort/efficient modes when desired. The car can be as smooth as silk and as comfortable as my F10 and with the push of the M button turn into a raucous beast.

Enhanced USB & Bluetooth- Skip. Don’t know why the hell I ordered in the first place. Pandora tracks don't show the correct songs art and you need to plug in to the snap adapter or a USB to take advantage of the apps feature. Why you need a USB connection with enhanced "bluetooth" is beyond me. But I knew this going in and got in anyway...what the hell is another $500 or whatever it was on an $80k car. Don’t see myself using much unless on long trips when my phone would be plugged in to charge anyway.

All in all I don’t have regrets about my build, It’s not like I sit around and think could , should, would... I absolutely love the car, it’s pure bliss, but when the LCI, facelift, competition pack comes around It will be spec'd a little differently.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2014, 10:53 AM   #28
Sir Loin
M3AT LOVER
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jskrilla View Post
I'm gonna blame this one on the not having coffee in the morning completely read what you said wrong LMAO
When I saw your post I thought you were thinking about AWD as in All Wheel Drive.
      08-22-2014, 11:02 AM   #29
Andrew115
Major
Rep
Drives: Silver Bullet

I think the HUD is a great option. Have it on my F30, at first I wasn't all into it but after a few weeks I was wondering why I needed an instrument panel at all. I think you Mr. Loin will feel the same given some time.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2014, 11:06 AM   #30
Wah
IG@i.am.wah
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Garage List
With DCT I think the HUD is a must. I remember driving in my e92 m3 dct and thinking at times how I wasn't sure what gear I was in without looking down. The HUD addresses this problem.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2014, 11:12 AM   #31
jskrilla
Second Lieutenant
Albania
Rep
Drives: M235i Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Loin View Post
When I saw your post I thought you were thinking about AWD as in All Wheel Drive.
I thought that's what he was talking about and i said no possible way. This is what happens when you haven't had your daily joe in the AM.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2014, 11:16 AM   #32
Sir Loin
M3AT LOVER
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonsault270 View Post
Good thread, I was going to mention changes I would have made if I could order all over again when I finally got around to my review.

<trimmed>
moonsault, you and I have similar sentiment. I agree with what you said. Congrats on your new car!
      08-22-2014, 11:34 AM   #33
rubber_ducky
Colonel
Rep
Drives: roach coach

I don't have my car yet, so my input is largely useless. Except for the fact that I can already tell you what I'd be willing to live without. My original order went like this...

AY
6MT
black 19s
HK
suspension
sunshade
xenon
extended black

Over the last month, my order has changed to:

AW
6MT
black 19s
HK
suspension
sunshade
LEDs
full amaro

Full amaro leather cost me $4k more than extended black and the LEDs cost me $1900. If I think about it (I'm trying not to) $5900 is a lot of money for a leather color (and additional leather since I'm going from extended to full) and headlights that don't necessarily work any better than the free headlights. All of that said... the car as originally configured is all I need. I could even argue that I could forego HK.

As much as I'd like to be wrong... the extra $6k isn't coming back to me in the way of resale. I learned this the hard way with my cayman.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2014, 11:40 AM   #34
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

I'd order it exactly the same. However, the car is tailored to my taste after consideration

ED MSRP: $68k and change.
Options: Exec, Full leather, HK, Black 19's, Sunroof, Rear sunshade.

Comments on options:

Exec & Full leather: I see the F80 as today's M5. These two packages completes that picture. Full leather lift the F30 interior up to another level and the car feel positively premium. I have two kids and both will be able to use the heated rear seats before it's trade-in time. I'm a sucker for heated steering wheel, love it, love it in winter. It was the one thing I missed in my E90 M3. With exec pack there is a discount on the leather which make it a bit more affordable. I thought I didn't want HUD. I was wrong, it's pretty neat, very sharp and nicely integrated. It took me less than a day to start using it as the main info center. Not sure I would pay for HUD separately but it's definately some value in it.

HK: No brainer. The sound is better and it's dirt cheap.

Black 19's: Completes the butch bad-ass look of the F80. Might be too much for more low key buyers when matched with the CF roof but looks great with the sunroof.

Sunroof: Used it every day on my euro delivery and will make use of it every day in Seattle. Open in summer and when not open it will provide much needed daylight in the cabin. I would not like being without it.

Rear sunshade: The kids child/booster seats fade terribly in a sedan if there is no rear sun shade and make the car look tacky. Automatic is required for me to use it, no way I fiddle with a manual solution every day.

The passive suspension is arguably the best option available IMO. Pure bliss on the street. Maybe a bit soft on the track but this is not a track car for me. The change back to 6 MT is refreshing and I'll probably keep swapping between 6 MT and DCT as long as 6 MT is available. I like both.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2014, 11:54 AM   #35
Sir Loin
M3AT LOVER
United_States
Rep

@solstice, when your car is back in Seattle, I would like to check out your car's HUD and compare it to my HUD, if you don't mind. My HUD is definitely fuzzy to my eyes as well as to my service advisor's eyes this morning (in for 1,200 miles service right now).
      08-22-2014, 11:56 AM   #36
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Loin View Post
@solstice, when your car is back in Seattle, I would like to check out your car's HUD and compare it to my HUD, if you don't mind. My HUD is definitely fuzzy to my eyes as well as to my service advisor's eyes this morning (in for 1,200 miles service right now).
Np, I'll pm you in about 2 months when my car is back. The HUD on my car is super sharp.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2014, 12:06 PM   #37
Np2014
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Bsm/Sb

I love everything i got but i would have gone with full leather rather than extended.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2014, 12:19 PM   #38
Powaup
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Supra 3.0 (Past: 2015 M23

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio Fan View Post
Sir Loin,

Have you played with the settings of the HUD? Mine isn't gray or fuzzy, as you noted somewhere else. Mine looks very sharp and is a nice white. It shouldn't be fuzzy. You may want to check out another car's setup, if you can't get yours dialed in.
Did you turn the brightness all the way up? I should do that
      08-22-2014, 12:25 PM   #39
Sir Loin
M3AT LOVER
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powaup View Post
Did you turn the brightness all the way up? I should do that
Yes, I have fiddled with all the HUD settings available in iDrive. Nothing helps. I wonder if I have the right windshield for HUD... I should take a picture of the numbers on the windshield and see if they matches with other people's cars with HUD.
      08-22-2014, 12:36 PM   #40
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Ha @sir loin ... that is exactly how I would have ordered mine. Get that in a year on Euro delivery or slightly below and it would be a steal.

edit- CA is something I am very used to it, I hope they make it standalone in a year for $500.
      08-22-2014, 12:41 PM   #41
Powaup
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Supra 3.0 (Past: 2015 M23

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFromPA View Post
Stripped down except for adaptive suspension. Nothing else.

The options packages stunk from any sort of value perspective. Would I like comfort access? Sure. But I don't want parking sensors, headlight washers, and other stuff with it.

H&K radio - Unless you've sat in the car and listened to the differences between standard/upgraded, then you've paid for something expensive upon the hope it's better

So, for me, I've got a "stripper". Except in 2015, it's not a stripper - I've got navi, streaming bluetooth, heated seats, and all sorts of bad-ass technology part and parcel.

My MSRP was $63k (without delivery). I'm getting it for $60k even.

You hit it right on the nail, so many standard options in this car I would do the same thing.Do you realize that most people pay about what you paid for a 435i! Lol

If I were to reorder:
SO - After seeing that color in person on an M4 I was blown away, saw it on an M6 before and I thought it was kind of bland but it looks much much sharper on the M4

Exec pck - I love love love HUD and rear view cameras/parking sensors are really helpful to me, I'm not good at gauging how much space I have when parking +

LED pckg - First time I saw them on an M4 was at night leaving the 24 Hr of Nurburgring race and I was very impressed about how sharp they looked. At 1900 they are overpriced, even BMW knows that, that's why they dropped the price for LEDs on the new 6s and 5s to $1600 instead of $1900

19" Wheels Black - If I were to stick with the 18s I would be looking for aftermarket rims right away but with the 19s that's one mod I can put at the bottom of my list

Adaptive Suspension - Because it's the bargain of the year for only $1000
      08-22-2014, 12:50 PM   #42
JPBesl
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 F82 M4

I'd think twice about black paint. Looks amazing, but it's no joke that black is a hobby, not a color.

Also, I would order black wheels again. But they do not hide brake dust as well as I initially had hoped.

Maybe I'd do the extended leather. But not a big deal.

2015 F82 M4 DCT (current) / 2012 991 C2S PDK / 2011 E92 M3 6MT / 2009 Cayman 6MT / 2007 E92 335i 6MT / 2004 E46 325xi 6MT / 2000 E36 Z3 M Coupe 5MT
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2014, 02:30 PM   #43
KevinM
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2002 M5;2007 M Coupe;2020 M2C

Garage List
2020 M2 Competition  [10.00]
2007 E86 M coupe  [8.38]
2002 E39 M5  [9.00]
Sir Loin, great post - thank you.

I'm thinking very similar to your post for my car. I am waiting until MY 2016 and am hoping the the rear camera will be standard by then and the surround cameras a stand-alone option. I can't make myself pay for the Exec package when that is all I want out of it...

So far I have MG, manual transmission, lighting package, suspension, rear shades (live in Arizona, do not like tint), HK. On the fence about the interior - I keep going from cloth to extended to full and then back again!

I think I'll need to see the cloth to make up my mind...
2021 Kia Telluride (hauler)
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2014, 02:54 PM   #44
SOM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: SO F80

I wouldn't change anything. As a matter of fact I think Exec Pack is a must have on this car. HUD is worth it alone as far as I'm concerned...it is simply awesome.

Whoever said HUD is a distraction must also think rear view mirror is distracting. Wow.
Appreciate 0