BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

07-03-2014, 10:52 PM   #45
Audio Fan
Major
Rep
Drives: AY - M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio Fan View Post
I can't believe there are no AY cars. My car must be really ugly.
Lups' car arrives in a month or so. She'll be contributing.
I get mine on the 30th. Just Lups and me (and gthal I think).
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2014, 12:05 AM   #46
Keto
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio Fan
I can't believe there are no AY cars. My car must be really ugly.
After seeing AY at the Welt I am confident you will be pleased.

I can't believe all the people who wasted money on enhanced USB. Bluetooth audio streaming is great with the base packaging, album art, everything. Not to mention coding.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2014, 08:20 AM   #47
dave885
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 Porsche GT4

Quote:
My AY is on a ship and should be in my hands before the end of the month.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2014, 08:52 AM   #48
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

No Sonoma interiors yet either.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2014, 02:16 PM   #49
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keto View Post
I can't believe all the people who wasted money on enhanced USB.
It's residualized $500 so that you can connect up two phones to play music on an ED trip - WAAAAAyyyyyy cheaper than divorce.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2014, 09:09 PM   #50
Audio Fan
Major
Rep
Drives: AY - M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave885
Quote:
My AY is on a ship and should be in my hands before the end of the month.
Mine is sitting in SC somewhere waiting on my PDC delivery on the 30th. I hope the PDC experience is worth the two week delay.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2014, 06:00 AM   #51
Reid
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: white cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
It's residualized $500 so that you can connect up two phones to play music on an ED trip - WAAAAAyyyyyy cheaper than divorce.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2014, 03:35 PM   #52
Kief
Major General
Rep
Drives: '24 iX50; '23 i4 M50

Done
'24-I20 iX 50; '23-G26 i4 M50; '22-G82 M4Cx*;20-G05 M50i*; '20-F82 M4CS*; '18-F80 M3CS*; '18-F80 M3CS*; '18-F85 X5M*; '18-G01 X3M40i*; '18-F80 M3ZCP*; '17-F80 M3ZCP*; '15-F15 X5*; '15-F82 M4*; '12-E92 335is*; '11-E70 X5d; '11-E89 Z435is*;'09-E89 Z435i*; '08-E92 335i*; '06-E90 330i*; '05-E83 X3*; '04-E83 X3*; '03-E46 325Ci* *retired
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2014, 09:08 AM   #53
NavyBeeker
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 SS/SS - 19SepED

Can you split results to eliminate dealer-configured cars?

Wondering if you can add a data field to show whether the car is a dealer car or a customer-designed order?

Might skew the results if you cannot retroactively add that info to existing data....
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2014, 10:04 AM   #54
Suave
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: GT4 and M2 in progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Loin View Post
We started a survey back in April to track M3 and M4 production week schedule for the first batch of allocation. It turned out to be an eye-opening experiment. We got some insight into BMW’s production scheduling, production ramp up, as well as colors and options popularity. It was a small but successful experiment, but we didn't have all the data we wish we had for deeper analysis.
First, I am grateful for the information from your surveys as they do provide interesting insights and actually help with selection of options. I have been meaning to ask you what exactly is this survey being used for other than this forum or who is the "We" you refer to? I know maintaining these surveys do require a lot of time and effort and wondered if this information is being commissioned by BMW or other third party and what affiliation, if any, you have with recipients of this data? Your presentation of the information is professional quality and just makes me curious. Not a big deal but if in fact this data is being used for other purposes a full disclosure would be appropriate and perhaps help us structure our feedback a bit better.

Cheers
      07-09-2014, 10:47 AM   #55
Sir Loin
M3AT LOVER
United_States
Rep
Drives: Silverstone F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suave View Post
First, I am grateful for the information from your surveys as they do provide interesting insights and actually help with selection of options. I have been meaning to ask you what exactly is this survey being used for other than this forum or who is the "We" you refer to? I know maintaining these surveys do require a lot of time and effort and wondered if this information is being commissioned by BMW or other third party and what affiliation, if any, you have with recipients of this data? Your presentation of the information is professional quality and just makes me curious. Not a big deal but if in fact this data is being used for other purposes a full disclosure would be appropriate and perhaps help us structure our feedback a bit better.

Cheers
I am doing it for fun. When the 1st batch of allocation was available to dealers, there were a lot of questions about which weeks of cars were allocated and we all wondered when our cars would be built. So I started the first survey. It was very informative to see how allocations were distributed over many weeks, and how many M3s and M4s were available. There were also questions (Tony!) about CCBs could be delaying productions, so I also added a question on people's brake options so I could match CCB options to build weeks and see if there was any delay (for this I think it was inconclusive). I think we did conclude that you ED folks who went to the June 23rd launch event took the early allocations and pushed some of us back a few weeks

But I realized that I didn't ask for enough data to get a better picture of how cars are configured. So I started this new survey to track delivered cars' options and configurations. The last survey there were many changes to the submission as people changed their mind on options and I had to go back to update the spreadsheet by hand. So this survey is for delivered cars as you can't change a delivered car's options.

This survey is tailored for USA as we have a lot of USA folks here, and the USA's option list is actually very simple with all the packaging and bundling, and I am in the USA. IT would be a lot more time consuming to build a survey for the UK as they do everything a la cart. I say "we" as in everyone on the forum and specifically people who have submitted survey entry for their cars.

I am the only one with access to the raw data and I have not shared it with anyone. I only share the compiled the data here on this thread. It actually doesn't take much time at all once the survey is setup with Microsoft Office Online. Creating pivot tables in Excel for this survey is very easy. It is not as complicated as what I do at work
      07-09-2014, 11:36 AM   #56
Sir Loin
M3AT LOVER
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyBeeker View Post
Wondering if you can add a data field to show whether the car is a dealer car or a customer-designed order?

Might skew the results if you cannot retroactively add that info to existing data....
Great idea! I just added a new question to cover this in the survey. I won't get this data for surveys that are already submitted. For people who already submitted can post here on and I can update the spreadsheet on my end. New entries will have this data point but the result may not be meaningful until we have more entry submissions.

The new question is:
Did you spec out the car yourself?
Did you spec out your car the way you want (Custom Order) or did your dealer spec it (i.e. configuration could no longer be changed, already in production/transit, or already on dealer's lot)?
- Custom Order
- Dealer spec'ed it and I could not change it
- Car already on Dealer's lot
      07-09-2014, 11:51 AM   #57
Suave
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: GT4 and M2 in progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Loin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suave View Post

Cheers
I am doing it for fun. When the 1st batch of allocation was available to dealers, there were a lot of questions about which weeks of cars were allocated and we all wondered when our cars would be built. So I started the first survey. It was very informative to see how allocations were distributed over many weeks, and how many M3s and M4s were available. There were also questions (Tony!) about CCBs could be delaying productions, so I also added a question on people's brake options so I could match CCB options to build weeks and see if there was any delay (for this I think it was inconclusive). I think we did conclude that you ED folks who went to the June 23rd launch event took the early allocations and pushed some of us back a few weeks

But I realized that I didn't ask for enough data to get a better picture of how cars are configured. So I started this new survey to track delivered cars' options and configurations. The last survey there were many changes to the submission as people changed their mind on options and I had to go back to update the spreadsheet by hand. So this survey is for delivered cars as you can't change a delivered car's options.

This survey is tailored for USA as we have a lot of USA folks here, and the USA's option list is actually very simple with all the packaging and bundling, and I am in the USA. IT would be a lot more time consuming to build a survey for the UK as they do everything a la cart. I say "we" as in everyone on the forum and specifically people who have submitted survey entry for their cars.

I am the only one with access to the raw data and I have not shared it with anyone. I only share the compiled the data here on this thread. It actually doesn't take much time at all once the survey is setup with Microsoft Office Online. Creating pivot tables in Excel for this survey is very easy. It is not as complicated as what I do at work
Well Sir I will simply say that I admire your passion from one M fan to another as I can relate with the countless volunteer hours I spent planning the ED Trip
      07-09-2014, 04:56 PM   #58
Sir Loin
M3AT LOVER
United_States
Rep

Update

Another update.

Wow! This thread is a sticky now. I better update more often.

We have a large influx of entries, now up to 47. There is a problematic one though. One new entry has Individual TB color that was delivered on June 3rd. One of these or both could be wrong. I sent a PM to the forum member who entered it to ask for clarification. As far as we all know, there has been no cars with individual colors made yet, and there were very few, if any at all, delivered in early June in the USA. If I don't get a reply, I will remove this entry from the survey. By hey, the survey is already configured to support individual colors.

There are now 23 M3s and 23 M4s, all evened up. There should be more M4s than M3s made though. There are more 19" light wheels in the new recent entries so there are more of them now, but 19" dark wheels still has a huge lead.

Take rate for sunroof, CCB, Cloth interior , 18" wheels, power sunshade, Park Assist, Conciege services continue to be very low. About 1/3 of the cars have manual transmission, 2/3 with M-DCT. about 2/5 of cars have standard suspension, 3/5 have Adaptive M suspension. Executive Package has very high take rate, 37 out of 46 cars have it. Lighting Package is not as popular as Executive Package, about 2/3 of the cars have it.

That's it for now. If you have some pivots that you are interesting in seeing, please post here. For example, how many cars have both manual transmission and CCB, how many MYB cars have SO interior and silver wheels (the Superman combo), or how many AY cars with SO interior (the McDonald's combo).

Keep the entries coming!
Attached Images

07-09-2014, 08:43 PM   #59
ando
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: i5 eDr40, G80 and F80

Garage List
2024 BMW i5 eDr40  [10.00]
2022 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Loin
Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyBeeker View Post

Great idea! I just added a new question to cover this in the survey. I won't get this data for surveys that are already submitted. For people who already submitted can post here on and I can update the spreadsheet on my end. New entries will have this data point but the result may not be meaningful until we have more entry submissions.

The new question is:
Did you spec out the car yourself?
Did you spec out your car the way you want (Custom Order) or did your dealer spec it (i.e. configuration could no longer be changed, already in production/transit, or already on dealer's lot)?
- Custom Order
- Dealer spec'ed it and I could not change it
- Car already on Dealer's lot
My M3 was custom but you probably got that from the ED option. Thanks for the survey results.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2014, 08:45 PM   #60
Sir Loin
M3AT LOVER
United_States
Rep

Very true, all the ED cars should be custom orders. I can update them on my end.
      07-10-2014, 10:00 AM   #61
rottjr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: m4

Sir,

In the new data, do you have the locations/general area of deliveries. Just curious of the sampling that may be in my area.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2014, 01:36 PM   #62
redice
Rep
Drives: M3

it would be cool if you can put this on a site where it updates the data in real time!
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2014, 03:46 PM   #63
Sir Loin
M3AT LOVER
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rottjr View Post
Sir,

In the new data, do you have the locations/general area of deliveries. Just curious of the sampling that may be in my area.
Coming right up!
      07-10-2014, 03:48 PM   #64
jc05e46m3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 F90 M5 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Loin View Post
Coming right up!
I really want to fill this out right now.
'15 /// M4 - YMB/SO - Sold
'12 E92 ///M3 ZCP - AW/FR - Sold
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2014, 03:59 PM   #65
Sir Loin
M3AT LOVER
United_States
Rep

I created a few new charts.

First chart is drive train configuration. 19 cars have steel brakes, M-DCT, and Adaptive M Suspension. There isn't a car yet with CCB, MT, and standard suspension.

AW/Black + CFRP roof combo is the most popular. Black is the most popular interior color, except for MW cars, which has 3 SO interior vs. 1 black interior. There is one YMB+SO Superman car. There is no AY+SO McD car yet. There is no SS ext + SO int. But there are a few of them coming in the next few weeks, mine included.

Because Driver Assistance Package (ZDB) requires Exec Package (ZEC), there isn't a car that has ZDB but without ZEC. There are however 4 cars with *only* Lighting package. There are also 4 stripper cars with no packages at all.

As requested. I added a State chart. California has the most of them, 13 in total, 8 over Florida that is in second place. In the first survey, Texas was second. At the moment we only have 1 Texas car.
Attached Images

07-10-2014, 04:07 PM   #66
Sir Loin
M3AT LOVER
United_States
Rep

BTW, there isn't a true stripper car yet. The closest one has no packages, but has AW color (not metallic color cost) MT, 19 black wheels, steel brakes, CF roof, HK sound, and Full leather.