proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > AUSTRALIA

12-03-2018, 02:13 PM   #1
DougM
Australia
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 Comp DCT

Murray Coote (MCA) suspension

Has anyone got MCA coilovers on an F80 M3?

https://mcasuspension.com

I'm looking for coilovers for my F80 M3 Comp, will be daily road driven for a couple of years with maybe 6 track days a year and then I'll buy a new road car and start stripping and lightening and make it more focused. So I want a setup that is good enough for daily driving now but also much better than stock on track.

I've read all the discussion about KW, Ohlins, Dinan etc and it's impossible to decide what's best. I've been recommended KW club sports but quite a few guys complain they are too stiff.

MCA look good value and local. Sherrin M4 was setup by MCA and he's doing 1:40s at Phillip Island **cough*** stock ***cough***

By the way I have adaptive suspension which I really don't bother with so I'd be happy to just override it.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2018, 05:41 PM   #2
domino_z
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F-Pace SVR

i'd only ever consider the mca gold series built by Murray, the rest of the range is rebranded stuff out of asia now

my requirements for suspension on my f80 comp was around better dampening and more comfort, i went with the tractive suspension - you can buy this locally through tt suspension in sydney

these shocks pair with the oe edc so you retain the full adjustability - the f80 doesn't just have 3 presets, they are continually adjustable, and when you pair that with a quality shock you really do see the benefit, especially on a bumpy b road at speed

do a search for tractive, i've posted a lot of feedback

or jump on other forums, porsche guys rave about these on track

imo getting a spring and shock to work on track is the easy part, getting that same setup to also ride well on street with broken tarmac, speed humps, etc is the hard part. tractive does both

Last edited by domino_z; 12-03-2018 at 05:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2018, 11:31 PM   #3
05C4R
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3

definitely compare the TT suspension with the MCA, I got the TT suspension on my GT4 and its awesome. I wanted to put it in the M3 but I hesitated at the cost for a street car, however the big factor as mentioned is that you can use the cars 3 settings, so you can have a road car and a track car. this Litchfield M4 has the TT suspension in it however they don't name it

https://www.bmwblog.com/2016/07/28/l...-four-phwooor/
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2018, 03:24 AM   #4
domino_z
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Yep that litchfield car is def running the tractive suspension, the give away is when they talk about the dampening adjustment being 6 times faster

You don't really appreciate how good the tractive shocks are until you're on a bumpy B and c road at speed

Around town you're still at mercy of a 30 series profile tyre over broken tarmac or train tracks, but they do take the edge off

The biggest eye opener for me is the lack of crash, you can load the car up into a corner, hit a bump with the front outside wheel fully compressed and instead of just crashing and skitting across the road, the tractive shock actually absorbs it and the front end doesn't budge
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2018, 03:50 AM   #5
DougM
Australia
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 Comp DCT

Thanks guys, I'll look up TT and have a chat. A lot of the chatter about coilovers on here and elsewhere seems to be about "stance" and ride and less about actual improvement in road and track performance.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2018, 02:49 AM   #6
robbo mcs
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 and others

MCA gold are actually proflex shocks out of the Netherlands, reworked by MCA. They are right up there with the best shocks available for a road car, same kind of quality as ohlins TTX, top of the range penske or supashock. They are used by a lot of competitors at the pointy end of dirt and tarmac rally. The Sherrins are from Queensland, and have been using MCA for years in all their cars. Part of the thing with MCA, is Murray and his team are experts at setting up the shocks, so they get good results out of the product

Red and blue MCA are a significant level lower, but still good product. Probably more in line with the KW, Bilstein, Ohlins DFV products.

FWIW I rate Bilstein for a good product, not too pricey. I am in sydney, so they make sense for me, as Heasemans / Sydney shocks are here, so can revalve, rebuild to your requirements etc. I don't have them on my F82, as that is not a car I race, but have them on my circuit and tarmac rally cars
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2018, 04:29 PM   #7
JL1
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino_z View Post
i'd only ever consider the mca gold series built by Murray, the rest of the range is rebranded stuff out of asia now

my requirements for suspension on my f80 comp was around better dampening and more comfort, i went with the tractive suspension - you can buy this locally through tt suspension in sydney

these shocks pair with the oe edc so you retain the full adjustability - the f80 doesn't just have 3 presets, they are continually adjustable, and when you pair that with a quality shock you really do see the benefit, especially on a bumpy b road at speed

do a search for tractive, i've posted a lot of feedback

or jump on other forums, porsche guys rave about these on track

imo getting a spring and shock to work on track is the easy part, getting that same setup to also ride well on street with broken tarmac, speed humps, etc is the hard part. tractive does both

Hey mate,

I am curious to know what was the quality of the TT shocks like when you pulled them out of the box? I purchased them back in 2016 for my LCI M3 and i ended up sending them back, they looked used or second hand. I could not accept them for the money i paid!

I have now just bought a brand new 2018 Comp pack M3 and would consider them but i was just eager to know how yours were out of the box quality and finish wise ?

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2018, 06:52 PM   #8
domino_z
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Yep we spoke about your set you and I

The set you got was used and most likely the development set, the rubber on the rear shock was split as per your pics, this should have been picked up by the dealer imo

I brought this up with tt suspension and insisted they fly me out a brand new set, and they def were brand new, they were drop shipped to tt and they checked them before posting to me

The shocks are just all matte black, they aren't pretty like my evo x ohlins, but they are well built, the electric connections were all terminated solidly

I've done a fair bit of b and c road driving and they're holding up fine, no leaks, no noises, even when going up extreme driveway angles
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-15-2018, 09:21 PM   #9
JL1
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Yep we spoke about your set you and I

The set you got was used and most likely the development set, the rubber on the rear shock was split as per your pics, this should have been picked up by the dealer imo

I brought this up with tt suspension and insisted they fly me out a brand new set, and they def were brand new, they were drop shipped to tt and they checked them before posting to me

The shocks are just all matte black, they aren't pretty like my evo x ohlins, but they are well built, the electric connections were all terminated solidly

I've done a fair bit of b and c road driving and they're holding up fine, no leaks, no noises, even when going up extreme driveway angles

Yeah fair enough, so all in all you are pretty happy with the reliability? What is the comfort like in comfort mode in percentage terms? like 20-30% more comfortable? or less than that?

how long did it take for them to ship out a new set for you ?
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2018, 09:24 PM   #10
domino_z
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Around 3 weeks iirc

Do a search for tractive, I posted a lot of feedback on them across a few threads

This was the main discussion thread, my posts on last page

Tractive Plug&Play suspension installed (with EDC) https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1277243
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2018, 11:48 PM   #11
JL1
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Around 3 weeks iirc

Do a search for tractive, I posted a lot of feedback on them across a few threads

This was the main discussion thread, my posts on last page

Tractive Plug&Play suspension installed (with EDC) https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1277243
I read the thread, They seem pretty impressive!

Who did you deal with at tractive? did you deal with Dejan? I've just emailed them on lead times and availability etc.

Last edited by JL1; 12-15-2018 at 11:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2018, 11:58 PM   #12
JL1
First Lieutenant
Rep

What else did you have to purchase to complete the shocks so they were direct bolt in without using parts from the standard shocks? And were did you buy it from?
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2018, 01:35 AM   #13
domino_z
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL1 View Post
What else did you have to purchase to complete the shocks so they were direct bolt in without using parts from the standard shocks? And were did you buy it from?
Yep Dejan at TT

These are all the items I purchased from ecs to build full pnp front and rear assemblies
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
mfurse182.00
      12-16-2018, 01:38 AM   #14
JL1
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Yep Dejan at TT

These are all the items I purchased from ecs to build full pnp front and rear assemblies
where did you purchase it all from and do you know what it all cost roughly landed ?

Sorry i now see it is ECS tuning! So there are 10 parts required and 2 of each of those parts yeah?

Last edited by JL1; 12-16-2018 at 01:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2018, 02:07 AM   #15
domino_z
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Yep Dejan at TT

where did you purchase it all from and do you know what it all cost roughly landed ?

Sorry i now see it is ECS tuning! So there are 10 parts required and 2 of each of those parts yeah?
710 USD shipped all up
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2018, 04:15 AM   #16
Race82
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbo mcs View Post
FWIW I rate Bilstein for a good product
This ^^^
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2018, 04:19 AM   #17
mfurse
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW F80 M3 2016 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by awbmw View Post
Quote:
This ^^^
I've enquired about the Damptronic B6's and the full coilover B16s with Damptronic but seems that neither option is available in Australia yet. Was hoping the B6's would be a low cost upgrade and keep EDC intact.

They do available overseas, however?
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2018, 04:35 AM   #18
JL1
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Yep Dejan at TT

710 USD shipped all up
Your not in Melbourne are you? If so who did you have put the shocks together and install it all?
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2018, 05:44 AM   #19
domino_z
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Trutrack in north melb
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2018, 05:45 AM   #20
domino_z
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfurse View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by awbmw View Post
Quote:
This ^^^
I've enquired about the Damptronic B6's and the full coilover B16s with Damptronic but seems that neither option is available in Australia yet. Was hoping the B6's would be a low cost upgrade and keep EDC intact.

They do available overseas, however?
Bilstein have been delaying the rear b6 edc shocks for almost 3 years now

At some point you just have to give up and look elsewhere
Appreciate 1
mfurse182.00
      12-16-2018, 02:06 PM   #21
JL1
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Trutrack in north melb
Do you mind if I ask what it all cost with trutrack? They did the wheel alignment also?
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2018, 03:04 PM   #22
domino_z
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Trutrack in north melb
Do you mind if I ask what it all cost with trutrack? They did the wheel alignment also?
Yeh alignment required for sure

I did some other work at same time, also installed my oem ceramic brake kit, so best give them a call
Appreciate 0