Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs)

10-27-2020, 11:47 PM   #1
wb7275
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 xDrive35i

Solvent pop on brand new M4

So... today has not been my finest day. I purchased a new 2020 BMW M4 Heritage edition in LSB last week and had it shipped to St Louis from Virginia. I was, of course, extremely excited to have gotten a great deal on a gorgeous car..

It’s been raining in St. Louis since the car was dropped off, but I had a chance to clean it off and take a closer look this evening to find paint that is in seriously ROUGH condition. Now, don’t get me wrong, I’m a realistic guy and understand that minor paint correction is sometimes needed after rough handling at the dealer, so I immediately set out to decontaminate and have some minor polish done. Unfortunately, once we started to dig in, we came to find that the imperfections are there to stay, no matter how hard we dug in with the clay. Not to be deterred, we tried to compound a small portion of the hood to see if it would help, but these little pinholes do not budge, even when the paint is completely leveled.

I’m kind of at a loss from here. I’m OCD. This is why I buy new cars. The entire car has these solvent pops and there isn’t a damn thing I can do short of getting it repainted. I’m livid!!

Has anyone else experienced this?? Obviously I’m going to raise the issue with BMW, but the dealer is halfway across the country.

Pic for reference. That’s my hood.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-28-2020, 04:38 AM   #2
deemack79
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Definitely looks like fisheyes brother. Check all jambs/seams to make sure that wasn't resprayed. I highly doubt that would make it thru QC.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2020, 03:31 PM   #3
hC1001
Captain
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, F80 M3

Is it all over the car or only hood? Bring it to BMW and let them fix it.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2020, 05:00 PM   #4
icegrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

I feel you, that's why I bought used on my m3 so the minor imperfections wouldn't trigger me as much😭 Are the heritage hoods carbon?
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2020, 07:55 PM   #5
wb7275
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hC1001 View Post
Is it all over the car or only hood? Bring it to BMW and let them fix it.
The hood is primarily the issue, but it’s on the fenders and front bumper pretty badly also. The rest of the car is MOSTLY ok, but not perfect as a new car should be. Already in contact with the dealer trying to figure out the best way to address this. They seem to be acting in good faith for now, so I can only hope they follow through on it.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2020, 07:56 PM   #6
wb7275
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by icegrill View Post
I feel you, that's why I bought used on my m3 so the minor imperfections wouldn't trigger me as much😭 Are the heritage hoods carbon?
Haha... hindsight. Could’ve saved myself a lot of money, but I had to get LSB. 🤦🏻*♂️

Not carbon. It’s looking like the whole front clip needs a respray, and the rest will need some extreme correction. This is such a headache.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2020, 10:30 PM   #7
hC1001
Captain
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wb7275 View Post
The hood is primarily the issue, but it’s on the fenders and front bumper pretty badly also. The rest of the car is MOSTLY ok, but not perfect as a new car should be. Already in contact with the dealer trying to figure out the best way to address this. They seem to be acting in good faith for now, so I can only hope they follow through on it.
Sounds like it mightve had some repair in the past. Maybe it was damaged during transport. If the dealer isnt able to help to your satisfaction, you should call BMW NA. They will probably have you go to a local dealer and have someone look at it. Most likely, they will repair and respray.

Goodluck and i hope they take care of you quickly. Keep us updated.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2020, 01:42 PM   #8
bily
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 22 G05, 22 G26

Garage List
2022 i4  [0.00]
2022 BMW X5  [0.00]
2015 BMW 428 Cabriolet  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hC1001 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by wb7275 View Post
Sounds like it mightve had some repair in the past. Maybe it was damaged during transport. If the dealer isnt able to help to your satisfaction, you should call BMW NA. They will probably have you go to a local dealer and have someone look at it. Most likely, they will repair and respray.

Goodluck and i hope they take care of you quickly. Keep us updated.
Screw that. If there is damage to the car more than 10% of the value of the car they have to disclose it to you. They were sued in the past and lost. Dr Gore vs BMW. Just mention you know they have to disclose prior repairs if they give you a hard time. Granted even just a front respray may not trigger that number but who wants a resprayed new car.

I would not accept any repainted car. I've returned 2 BMWs because of that. Ship that back and hit the redo. Dealer should also be able to look up if any repairs down before they got it.
Appreciate 0