ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

08-27-2019, 01:46 PM   #23
F80Speed77
Grid.Life
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

NT01 have a reputation of not being the best tires for AutoX and your assumption of the Nexen having more perceived grip might not be far off? Were you getting adequate heat in the NT01? Which site in Texas were you at? They should fair much better at COTA.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2019, 09:04 PM   #24
TulaneAg
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 DCT Tanzanite Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by F80Speed77 View Post
NT01 have a reputation of not being the best tires for AutoX and your assumption of the Nexen having more perceived grip might not be far off? Were you getting adequate heat in the NT01? Which site in Texas were you at? They should fair much better at COTA.
I was down at Gransport in Hitchcock. My first time there. It was 98 degrees or so external but I知 not sure what the tire temps got up to...I started pressures at 32 and they built to 39 or so and I let a pound out. I知 not a big AutoX guy so I知 not worrying too much just yet. We値l see what happens at COTA.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2019, 10:43 AM   #25
TulaneAg
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quick update. I did the Stage 2 tune and coded in the M4 and CS setups with Alex yesterday evening. First impressions are the CS EDC coding had taken a lot of the bounce out of the Comfort settings with the Bilsteins I complained about earlier. We'll see how the Sport and Spot+ settings differ at COTA this weekend.

Not enough time to comment on the other changes just yet.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2019, 06:43 PM   #26
paffinity
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: .

Garage List
2020 X7  [0.00]
I知 planning to install GC camber plates with the Bilstein damptronic coilovers. Do you know what the inner spring diameter is for the Bilsteins? I ordered the camber plates thinking I would just use with stock springs, but on a whim ordered the coilovers a few days ago.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2019, 04:47 PM   #27
Gomeler
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '16 M235iR, '16 M4 GTS

Curious if you got those camber plates installed, and how COTA went. -1.8 degrees front camber = some dead tire shoulders.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2019, 05:56 PM   #28
TulaneAg
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by paffinity View Post
I知 planning to install GC camber plates with the Bilstein damptronic coilovers. Do you know what the inner spring diameter is for the Bilsteins? I ordered the camber plates thinking I would just use with stock springs, but on a whim ordered the coilovers a few days ago.
I believe the Bilstein spring diameters matched stock. I went the opposite way as you. I installed the Bilstein with stock strut top then added the TCKline camber plates a week later.
Appreciate 1
      09-04-2019, 05:59 PM   #29
TulaneAg
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gomeler View Post
Curious if you got those camber plates installed, and how COTA went. -1.8 degrees front camber = some dead tire shoulders.
I was able to get the camber plates installed prior to leaving for the track on Friday so got it aligned at -2.5. Front really felt good...ended up with a ton more front grip than the last time I was there on stock MPSS with stock geometry.

Oversteer turned out to be the biggest problem of the weekend.
Appreciate 1
Gomeler500.00
      09-04-2019, 08:49 PM   #30
Montaver
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4 & M340i LCI

Does the packaging say what the spring rates with the Bilstein kit and are they linear or progressive? I cant seem to find this information anywhere
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2019, 09:05 PM   #31
paffinity
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: .

Garage List
2020 X7  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TulaneAg View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by paffinity View Post
I'm planning to install GC camber plates with the Bilstein damptronic coilovers. Do you know what the inner spring diameter is for the Bilsteins? I ordered the camber plates thinking I would just use with stock springs, but on a whim ordered the coilovers a few days ago.
I believe the Bilstein spring diameters matched stock. I went the opposite way as you. I installed the Bilstein with stock strut top then added the TCKline camber plates a week later.
Good to know! I'm getting this config installed tomorrow. And will try out on track on Friday.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2019, 12:04 PM   #32
TulaneAg
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montaver View Post
Does the packaging say what the spring rates with the Bilstein kit and are they linear or progressive? I cant seem to find this information anywhere
I believe the springs are linear on this kit, but I didn't even touch the original box so don't know for sure. I had the original box delivered straight to my installer because we were short on time. And when I picked up the car after install...stock struts were in the Bilstein box and all sealed up. I wouldn't mind looking but the box is already put up in my storage unit....sorry.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2019, 04:54 PM   #33
AustinTrkJunkie
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '22 M340i

Quote:

Oversteer turned out to be the biggest problem of the weekend.
Care to elaborate on the oversteer problem, feel like you're leaving something out here...we did share a garage afterall ;-)
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2019, 08:58 PM   #34
TulaneAg
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTrkJunkie View Post
Care to elaborate on the oversteer problem, feel like you're leaving something out here...we did share a garage afterall ;-)
You are acutely aware of the oversteer problem

Left side suspension parts replaced Tuesday and Wednesday to make it easier to roll and move around. Sent to the body shop today for the big estimate. We値l see what happens from here!
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2019, 11:21 AM   #35
Gomeler
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '16 M235iR, '16 M4 GTS

Quote:

Left side suspension parts replaced Tuesday and Wednesday to make it easier to roll and move around. Sent to the body shop today for the big estimate. We値l see what happens from here!
Oh yikes, did you manage to find a wall?
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2019, 04:42 PM   #36
AustinTrkJunkie
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '22 M340i

Quote:

I should have been more subtle, hope it all works out and isn't too much.

Did you have Lockton/track insurance?

It's part of my pre-track process, buy it for every event. Well worth the ~$300 for peace of mind.

Seen *way* too many incidents at COTA, there are a couple of red/black flags involving rescue/extraction at almost every event...
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2019, 04:56 PM   #37
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:

Left side suspension parts replaced Tuesday and Wednesday to make it easier to roll and move around. Sent to the body shop today for the big estimate. We’ll see what happens from here!
Hey OP, I really dislike seeing "body shop" in the same thread as "Track day".

Hope it all works out, and you don't get hit up too hard by the body shop.

first off, GLAD YOU ARE OK!!!!

I had an off into T10 at Sonoma this time last year, and ate an $8k bill to fix my SM, so been there (as I think a lot of us have).

I've seen some threads posted that the stiff structure of F8x and all the aluminium used could result in crash forces being distributed in make unexpected places (e.g. front left fender hit, which would be a routine fender replacement on the E36 platform, escalating greatly on F8x platform). Obviously, I hope this isn't your situation, but just wanted to share so you and your shop can be thorough and make a good decision on next steps.
Appreciate 1
fanatic11018.50
      09-10-2019, 06:59 PM   #38
TulaneAg
Enlisted Member
Rep

No track insurance so footing the bill myself.

I got all the bent suspension parts replaced this week and it aligned perfectly today so no longer worried about any structural problems. New Bilstein Damptronics made it through unscathed so that’s good news. Titan7 rear rim is bent beyond repair...I think the front could be straightened but not sure I want to take the chance of running a repaired/straightened rim on the track.

Going to body shop tomorrow for estimate. My track guy working on the suspension cleaned up the exterior a bit and doesn’t think the sheet metal is that bad. So let’s hope for more good news this week.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2019, 06:22 PM   #39
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
No track insurance so footing the bill myself.

I got all the bent suspension parts replaced this week and it aligned perfectly today so no longer worried about any structural problems. New Bilstein Damptronics made it through unscathed so that痴 good news. Titan7 rear rim is bent beyond repair...I think the front could be straightened but not sure I want to take the chance of running a repaired/straightened rim on the track.

Going to body shop tomorrow for estimate. My track guy working on the suspension cleaned up the exterior a bit and doesn稚 think the sheet metal is that bad. So let痴 hope for more good news this week.
I have my fingers crossed for you and glad to hear alignment worked out.

I壇 replace the rim, personally.
Appreciate 0