Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls

10-03-2018, 02:08 PM   #1
GitToDeChoppah
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

What is this missing bolt

So I brought my F80 in for some maintenance a few weeks ago and I noticed something next to the oil filter. It looks like it is missing a bolt. Anyone know what this bolt is for? Do I need to head back to the dealer? It doesn’t look like it holds anything down..
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-03-2018, 03:38 PM   #2
VioletBlue_M3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '23 M3 Competition xDrive

Garage List
No worry, is normal.
      10-03-2018, 10:31 PM   #3
Luc@Speed&Tech
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: G80 M3 & E92 M3

You're supposed to screw a tow hook into that hole to connect it to a hoist to lift up the engine or when dropping the subframe so the engine doesn't fall.

23541 Pebble Run Place, Unit 140
Sterling, VA 20166 (Satellite shop)
Appreciate 9
      10-04-2018, 05:28 AM   #4
GitToDeChoppah
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucBroDude View Post
You're supposed to screw a tow hook into that hole to connect it to a hoist to lift up the engine or when dropping the subframe so the engine doesn't fall.

Thanks man! New car to me, do not trust service departments after dealing with FCA from a previous vehicle. It looked like it had recently held something so I though maybe they forgot something. Guess at some point it has been used. Appreciate the response, mind set at ease
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2020, 08:01 PM   #5
iLikeTrains55
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3 (F80)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GitToDeChoppah View Post
Thanks man! New car to me, do not trust service departments after dealing with FCA from a previous vehicle. It looked like it had recently held something so I though maybe they forgot something. Guess at some point it has been used. Appreciate the response, mind set at ease
Hey GitToDeChoppah.. you're not an Austrian Death Machine fan by chance, are you?

So I've got an oil pan leak and I'm going to go the work myself. Got the replacement bolts, new gasket, inch/lbs torque wrench, and engine support bar ready to go. Earlier this evening I get everything disassembled and go to thread in the eye hook... it doesn't fit. It's too big. My tow hook sure looks like yours. Any idea if some S55's had different thread sizes in some engines?

This E46 eye hook looks like it might fit but I have no idea. https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-1...yABEgIg1vD_BwE

Thanks a bunch!!

Jeff
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2020, 12:46 PM   #6
GitToDeChoppah
Enlisted Member
Rep

SEE YOU AT THE PARTY RICHTER

Hahah... hope you were able to find the part you were looking for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLikeTrains55 View Post
Hey GitToDeChoppah.. you're not an Austrian Death Machine fan by chance, are you?

So I've got an oil pan leak and I'm going to go the work myself. Got the replacement bolts, new gasket, inch/lbs torque wrench, and engine support bar ready to go. Earlier this evening I get everything disassembled and go to thread in the eye hook... it doesn't fit. It's too big. My tow hook sure looks like yours. Any idea if some S55's had different thread sizes in some engines?

This E46 eye hook looks like it might fit but I have no idea. https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-1...yABEgIg1vD_BwE

Thanks a bunch!!

Jeff
Appreciate 0