European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

07-03-2016, 04:36 PM   #45
Lojs
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4 f82

Quote:
Originally Posted by stunnaM3
Here's my vid from left side rear pillar and on helmet (skip to the middle to see this view).

Did you use an "airtight" back lid or the "vented" one for the camera housing?
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2016, 11:44 AM   #46
dim635csi
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 MG F82 M4 ZCP

I think left rear window is still one of the best places (you can see driver's hands, cone approach, etc.). I've also seen very dramatic shots from camera on the front tow mount - speed feel is like twice faster than real...

Two short AX flicks (I use GoPro Session 1080p 60 fps Medium view)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/okl5leswav6spbg/611m.mp4?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gazbfl8z49...611m1.mp4?dl=0

P.S. looks like dropbox rendering sucks...

Last edited by dim635csi; 07-05-2016 at 06:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2016, 03:08 PM   #47
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 MG/SO

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dim635csi
I think left rear window is still one of the best places (you can see driver's hands, cone approach, etc.). I've also seen very dramatic shots from camera on the front tow mount - speed feel is like twice faster than real... ...
Cool vids! Aren't you worried the camera may drop, Aside from the fact that some clubs don't allow them unless tethered?
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2016, 03:22 PM   #48
brianplee
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 ZCP

M4 ZCP, Spa Francorchamps, GoPro suction mounted to inside of windshield next to rear view mirror, external microphone taped to back bumper above tailpipe and routed through the trunk and between the back seats.

Appreciate 0
      07-04-2016, 03:55 PM   #49
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianplee
M4 ZCP, Spa Francorchamps, GoPro suction mounted to inside of windshield next to rear view mirror, external microphone taped to back bumper above tailpipe and routed through the trunk and between the back seats.
I like this view, it's similar to canautm3, I couldn't figure out where you guys put the cam, so I fiddled around for two hours and finally settled on fixing it to the underneath of the rain sensor housing as a temporary spot. I am going today to do some lapping, so I'll capture a small vid but nothing as breathtaking as yours... I regret not getting the GoPro silver as I found out the small GoPro session doesn't have any external connectivity for a mic

Silly question, is that the F1 track in Belgium or somewhere else, nice scenery!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-04-2016, 05:18 PM   #50
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by aboulfad View Post
Reviving an old thread I just got my gopro session and like the interior view of your vid, do you still use it in ur F82? do you mind taking a pic of the mount and camera? I guess the adhesive mount is visible from the exterior given you put it on the interior windshield behind the rearview mirror.

Did you try installing the mount on the back of the rearview mirror? Merci.
Here you go. What I like about that placement is that the camera is practically invisible from the driver's view and does not obstruct the all so important outward view (see 2nd picture). The "3M bracket" is also quite discreet when the camera is not installed (4th and 5th picture).
Attached Images

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black

Last edited by CanAutM3; 07-04-2016 at 07:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2016, 10:09 PM   #51
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
Here you go. What I like about that placement is that the camera is practically invisible from the driver's view and does not obstruct the all so important outward view (see 2nd picture). The "3M bracket" is also quite discreet when the camera is not installed (4th and 5th picture).
Merci bcps! and now I understand, we have different hardware, i got the cube (Hero 4 session) and if placed in the same exact place, even on Medium (not wide) it will still pick up those dots on the windshield.

So I put it where i mentioned above, the view is good but the sound is horrible, it picks up the wind noise hitting the windshield and you barely hear the engine/exhaust with windows closed

Is the video you posted on the first page with an ext mic or just windows down ?
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2016, 01:53 PM   #52
dim635csi
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 MG F82 M4 ZCP

For low speed AX standard suction mount holds just fine, and camera rather fly away than beat your car hanging on the teeter. For the track I'll do internal mount like on the pictures above, and will add tow hook mount - there are nice combos with camera mount and tow ring.
"If you want a car for track use, if want to go every other weekend fight-to-fight stopwatch to your local track: go for PDK, definitely. If you use the car, maybe not on track but as a daily commuter going through traffic: take the PDK. But you want a driver's car, a fun car: take the manual. [...]"
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2016, 04:19 AM   #53
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dim635csi View Post
For low speed AX standard suction mount holds just fine, and camera rather fly away than beat your car hanging on the teeter. For the track I'll do internal mount like on the pictures above, and will add tow hook mount - there are nice combos with camera mount and tow ring.
Depending on the camera you have and if windows closed and mounted internally, you def need an ext mic. The GoPro Hero 4 session (cube) sound quality is crap especially with wind, so it's going back and I am now thinking of using my iPhone 6 (inside only) which allows for an ext mic and has video stabilization too.

The low tow hook mount is sweet but darn expensive, especially when shipped over the border here I think I will fabricate one for the new ext cam (don't know what, oh maybe an old iPhone 4! Or cheaper moddable SJCAM models M10+)

Last edited by aboulfad; 07-06-2016 at 04:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2016, 10:25 AM   #54
tchiers
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3

I like the over-the-shoudler view best because it shows the driver's hands as well as the full view of the track. You need both if you want to use video for reviewing your sessions and learning. Other shots look cool, but are harder to learn from.

I just suction cupped to the back of the passenger seat. My club requires tethers, so I have tied paracord to the rear inboard LATCH anchor. I do have to re-seat the suction cup every session or it's likely to fall, but the tether makes it fall into the rear passenger footwell. No big deal.

It's an ancient HeroHD. I'm sure the newer ones could do better on image stabilization.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2016, 03:06 PM   #55
Lojs
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4 f82

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchiers
I like the over-the-shoudler view best because it shows the driver's hands as well as the full view of the track. You need both if you want to use video for reviewing your sessions and learning. Other shots look cool, but are harder to learn from.

I just suction cupped to the back of the passenger seat. My club requires tethers, so I have tied paracord to the rear inboard LATCH anchor. I do have to re-seat the suction cup every session or it's likely to fall, but the tether makes it fall into the rear passenger footwell. No big deal.

It's an ancient HeroHD. I'm sure the newer ones could do better on image stabilization.
I really like that location, but I can not make my suction cup hold on the backrest.
Also, I don't think it's so much the problem of your old camera, rather the backrest itself not being stiff enough, but shaking.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2016, 03:26 PM   #56
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tchiers View Post
none of the newer ones support pic or video stabilization but SJCAM does! I couldn't watch too long your vid for how bad the shaking is. I like your simple data overlay, what do you use?
Lojs , FYI I've used 3M double sided tape on few surfaces, it sticks great and removes easily from the back of our seats, 0 damage!
Appreciate 4
      07-06-2016, 04:32 PM   #57
tchiers
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lojs View Post
I really like that location, but I can not make my suction cup hold on the backrest.
Also, I don't think it's so much the problem of your old camera, rather the backrest itself not being stiff enough, but shaking.
I wipe the suction cup and backrest with a damp paper towel for best adhesion. I agree that the backrest vibrating is causing the image shake, but a camera with active image stabilization could reduce it anyway.

Quote:
none of the newer ones support pic or video stabilization but SJCAM does! I couldn't watch too long your vid for how bad the shaking is. I like your simple data overlay, what do you use?
Lojs , FYI I've used 3M double sided tape on few surfaces, it sticks great and removes easily from the back of our seats, 0 damage!
No doubt - I prioritized useful for learning over looks good. May have to check out SJCAM when I'm read to upgrade.

The data overlay is an ffmpeg-based homebrew solution because I needed something that worked on Linux. I'd probably just figure out a way to make raceRender work if I were doing it today and didn't already have my script.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2016, 04:51 PM   #58
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tchiers View Post

I agree some videos where you can see hand and foot work is a good thing. But there comes a point where one masters those elements enough that the view does not add any more value. I find a major flaw of the interior view is the compromised exterior view. I rather have a precise view of my driving line to see what I did on a particularly good lap so I can learn from it. Also seeing things from the drivers angles allows to spot reference points that can be used later when going back to the track. I find the "windshield mount" provides the best view in that respect.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2016, 10:54 PM   #59
coolmody
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AW/SO F80 M3

New tow hook mount I tried last weekend

Appreciate 0
      07-07-2016, 07:46 AM   #60
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmody View Post
New tow hook mount I tried last weekend
Awesome, I think I am sold on the tow hook view and inside, and they are the safest installs, well unless your car hits a wall

Ok you use the shifteck tow mount ($$$). May I ask how do you all get the map, speed, rpm and g-force, laps, ...? I know how to overlay stuff.

P.s.: you know your brakes squeal and it would be more awesome to run a lavalier mic inside the engine bay, I've already designed/provisioned a quick disconnect wire poking out of the tow hook, but hope the mic/wire won't melt!
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2016, 09:10 AM   #61
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
it would be more awesome to run a lavalier mic inside the engine bay,
That's a cool idea. I'll try that next time. So far, I've always had the mic taped to the rear bumper to get the exhaust sound. It should be rather straight forward to route the mic wire to the engine bay and capture the turbos hissing and puffing

Appreciate 0
      07-07-2016, 09:26 AM   #62
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
That's a cool idea. I'll try that next time. So far, I've always had the mic taped to the rear bumper to get the exhaust sound. It should be rather straight forward to route the mic wire to the engine bay and capture the turbos hissing and puffing
And to make it way cooler, mix both sounds at some ratio so you get both engine/exhaust, or when you switch cam views switch sound

If you route a wire inside the engine bay, I'd advise checking it's temp specs, or wrapping it with any material rated for automotive application. (80-105C) or just put it there and hope it doesn't melt at your excessive speeds
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2016, 01:48 AM   #63
coolmody
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AW/SO F80 M3

Quote:
Awesome, I think I am sold on the tow hook view and inside, and they are the safest installs, well unless your car hits a wall

Ok you use the shifteck tow mount ($$$). May I ask how do you all get the map, speed, rpm and g-force, laps, ...? I know how to overlay stuff.

P.s.: you know your brakes squeal and it would be more awesome to run a lavalier mic inside the engine bay, I've already designed/provisioned a quick disconnect wire poking out of the tow hook, but hope the mic/wire won't melt!
I use the TrackAddicts app on my phone to get all the telemetry data hooked up to an OBDII reader (for rpm, speed, and throttle). Using the phones built in GPS for laptimes and mapping, but switching to an external GPS next time I'm out (1Hz vs 10hz).

Those RS29 pads are LOUD. Loud on the track and even louder on the streets when I leave them in

I run an external Zoom H1 mic inside cabin of the car which I usually use instead of the audio from the GoPro. I decided not to during this session because you can hear me coaching the M235i driver in front of me via a wireless headset we have on our helmets. I would rather hear wind and track debris hitting the car than the sound of my own voice telling the M235i to go faster!!
Appreciate 1
      07-08-2016, 05:25 AM   #64
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
coolmody , thanks for the info! I guess no telemetry solution exists that can get brake info from the F8x? Didn't know the RS29 are that noisy...

In my case, my instructor was sitting next to me, and I detached the audio to replace it with music, so you don't hear the poor guy who kept on saying, brake, brake more, constant steering here, accelerate, ... oh that H1 is nice, but I'll stick with a $10 lav mic

Ps: nice driving and track
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2016, 12:51 PM   #65
brianplee
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 ZCP

Quote:
I like this view, it's similar to canautm3, I couldn't figure out where you guys put the cam, so I fiddled around for two hours and finally settled on fixing it to the underneath of the rain sensor housing as a temporary spot. I am going today to do some lapping, so I'll capture a small vid but nothing as breathtaking as yours... I regret not getting the GoPro silver as I found out the small GoPro session doesn't have any external connectivity for a mic

Silly question, is that the F1 track in Belgium or somewhere else, nice scenery!
Yes, this was at Spa, the F1 track in Belgium during a private track day.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2016, 06:19 PM   #66
tomtang
Private
Rep
Drives: Alpine White

So far it seems like the best solution for capturing hand inputs and the track is rear passenger window with the seat rolled down? I was thinking about what to do as well, because I'll be tracking my M3 quite often.
Appreciate 0