R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

12-07-2018, 02:07 PM   #1
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87c, GT3, MK7 GTI

JB4 vs. Bootmod3/Flash Tuning

I'm sure I'm going to get flamed to hell for this thread but it's been a while since I looked at the tuning scene for the S55.

I have some experience with the JB4 mainly on Map 1 with 93 octane or Map 2 with E30. It's been a good experience in general. Back then (3 yrs ago) that was the only choice if you didn't want to remove your ECU and have it bench unlocked.

I know everyone can unlock the ECU remotely and flash tune now. Can anyone give me the pros/cons of flash tuning platforms vs. JB4? Does flash tuning provide better drivability, reliability/safety, more power etc? Is it more likely to be detected for warranty claim?
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2018, 05:50 PM   #2
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Flash Tuning Pros:
- smoother power delivery (if you go with the right tune)
- Burble tune
- GTS roar

Jb4 pros:
- user has full control to change any setting ( no tuning knowledge needed)
- Added safety failsafes ( kicks you back to map 4 if car is running lean or overboosting).

Note: BM3 does offer features which can be changed at will without the need of a new map or user needing a tuner.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2018, 06:50 PM   #3
///M///
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2016 Manual AW F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Flash Tuning Pros:
- Burble tune
- GTS roar

Jb4 pros:
- Added safety failsafes ( kicks you back to map 4 if car is running lean or overboosting).

Note: BM3 does offer features which can be changed at will without the need of a new map or user needing a tuner.
Mike, how does it add the GTS roar? Only has the startup idle setting and doesn't say what it should be set to for the GTS roar. Also, does the set rpm stay through the entire cold start cycle or only for a couple of seconds when starting up? I would think the latter would not be ideal. Don't want the car at high rom for the whole cold start cycle. Thanks.

My Amazing European Delivery Story
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2018, 06:51 PM   #4
///M///
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2016 Manual AW F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Flash Tuning Pros:
- Burble tune
- GTS roar

Jb4 pros:

One more:

BM3 easy to flash and remove to get it back to stock. On the F8X, installing the JB4 is a PITA and then removing it is the same.

My Amazing European Delivery Story
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2018, 07:32 PM   #5
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M/// View Post
One more:

BM3 easy to flash and remove to get it back to stock. On the F8X, installing the JB4 is a PITA and then removing it is the same.
you are correct, flash tune install does not require messing with hardware.

In my first post i was not comparing BM3 to JB4, im comparing flash tune in general

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2018, 08:46 PM   #6
Justin.AutoTalent
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

A flash tune is going to be world's better than a piggy back in a day-to-day scenario. Most people who daily drive or weekend drive their car run some sort of tune that's install and go.

JB4 (piggy back) is almost obsolete for people with this type of driving habit.

Especially when you compare it to Bootmod3, which has nearly all the same features minus the meth control and valve controller.

BM3 provides full user customization in a simple interface that takes roughly 15 minutes max to navigate through and learn all the features:

- Tune Control: Burbles, Cold Start, Boost by Gear, Valve control for sport & sport plus
- Datalog
- Read and Clear Codes

I've had several different flash tunes and I've had JB4 on my prior F80 M3. Yes I'm a vendor, but from personal experience with so many different products, the only thing I trust and promote is BM3.

BM3 is just such a user-friendly product with the best consistency and reliability

Last edited by Justin.AutoTalent; 12-10-2018 at 10:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2018, 09:22 PM   #7
FriedPiston
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Scraper

JB4

* Most advanced plug and play piggyback system for BMW in general; requires more common sense and some technical understanding to install and operate.
* Does not insta-void powertrain warranty, but can still be detected through FASTA data
* Map switching in 30 seconds or less: True Valet mode, Torque Map, Mild Boost Map, High Boost with race fuel or E30-E85, Custom Boost Profile
* Simple and effective data logger, very easy to read and understand.
* Easy to use Mobile App (optional)
* WMI Controller (optional)
* Free Back End Flash maps; dyno'd at 572whp with E85 BEF
* Free lifetime support

------

BM3

* Offers best value out of all flash tuning platforms, and easily becoming the best flash tuning platform with every build release.
* Extremely likely voids the powertrain warranty the moment you flash the DME; same goes for other DME flash tuning options
* Fastest flasher available by a mile, but requires internet connection for authentication (no auth token cache)
* Complimentary GTS DCT flash ($200)
* Tried and tested OTS maps; ran a personal best 10.9@127mph 1/4 mile with State 2 100 octane map
* Access to proven BM3 exclusive S55 tuners
* Lifetime customer support from PTF
* License can be transferred once
Appreciate 4
ronanz1819.50
Karlosm2c290.50