Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

10-05-2015, 11:18 PM   #67
FSHNGRY
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: INDIVIDUAL F90 M5C LCI

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by vansbutsneakers@aim.com View Post
So those of us who got our F80's and F82's towards their release have had our cars for about a year now (maybe slightly more). It's about time we change our Michelin Super Sports that come with the car (at least the rear ones).

But there's one huge issue.... You're more likely to use your tire sealer kit than find a Michelin Super Sport tire

So, since these tires are more extinct than the dinosaurs themselves, what tires have you guys been using as your replacements until Michelin get's their SH*^T together? Looking for advice on a tire that's comparable on the street moreover than the track.

I've considered the

Continental ExtremeContact DW
Bridgestone RE71
Michelin Pilot Sport 2
Bridgestone S-04

Which would compare the best to the PSS in terms of daily street driving that's mildly aggressive.

Just ordered Ps2's the other day.
GONE: '05 E46 ZHP | LOADED | DINAN STG3 PKG |

IG: @FSHNGRY
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2015, 11:06 PM   #68
YianniM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2011 335i  [10.00]
Yeah i got my rear tire replaced under warranty when i tried to find one to replace the other rear no one could get it. Now waiting for BMW to get one for me at a mark up price of course
Appreciate 1
      10-12-2015, 06:41 PM   #69
PrimeBMW
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E46 M3+S62, E92 M3

My shop just got a full set of PSS in They were originally ordered months ago for a M4 owner which the M4 owner canceled because of the backorder........but my shop forgot to cancel. I'm not quite sure how they became available/shipped if there is a backorder
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2015, 02:00 AM   #70
G4BR13L
Major
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimeBMW View Post
My shop just got a full set of PSS in They were originally ordered months ago for a M4 owner which the M4 owner canceled because of the backorder........but my shop forgot to cancel. I'm not quite sure how they became available/shipped if there is a backorder
I don't understand what you mean with your last sentence. The shop ordered the tyres months ago, so months ago they were in backorder what means that they cannot be delivered immediately. Months later (!) the tyres are delivered hence the order was delivered.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2015, 05:09 PM   #71
PrimeBMW
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by G4BR13L View Post
I don't understand what you mean with your last sentence. The shop ordered the tyres months ago, so months ago they were in backorder what means that they cannot be delivered immediately. Months later (!) the tyres are delivered hence the order was delivered.
Apparently the have been out of stock for awhile and will not be available till December. So to have them show up unannounced is strange. I just checked them in person and they are the OEM tire with a star on the side wall.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2015, 10:09 PM   #72
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
PSSs came yesterday

Ordered from The Tire Rack 9/16, so just 4 weeks. Fronts were in stock, rears were the longer lead ones. After 15 months and 11,000 miles (mostly commuting, couple trips, no track) I'm at 5/32"R & 7/32"F. Will likely put rears on in about 6 weeks, may hold off on fronts until Spring, though I'm not fond of differing tread depths. Notice the nice chunk out of the protective bead on LF after hitting parking lot curb I didn't see. Stock 19s are damn strong!
Attached Images

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2015, 09:20 PM   #73
PrimeBMW
Major
No_Country
Rep

I called Tire Rack. They got a large shipment in and were able to fill some backorders.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2015, 04:03 PM   #74
freezey
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

So Michelin has no more PSS and is offering to buy me all new continental extreme sport something or other. Anyone know about these tires?
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2015, 04:19 PM   #75
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by freezey
So Michelin has no more PSS and is offering to buy me all new continental extreme sport something or other. Anyone know about these tires?
If they are ContiSport Contact3s, I had them on my S4. I would never buy them. Traction wasn't quite a match for PSS but fine if you don't drive close to 10/10. However they were louder and much quicker wearing than PSS. Continental has several tires with somewhat similar names, so probably best to find the specific tire. Tire Rack has decent reviews.
      10-20-2015, 01:16 PM   #76
freezey
Captain
Rep

So i have no choice. I have to get the contisport contact 5P.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2015, 07:35 PM   #77
TheEnrique
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
2020 M5  [0.00]
2012 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2017 M4 Convertible  [0.00]
2013 X5M  [0.00]
2015 F82 M4  [0.00]
just went to the dealer.. back ordered indefinitely in the east coast.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2015, 11:28 PM   #78
mdrobc13
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Made in Bavaria

Garage List
2021 BMW X3e  [0.00]
2016 BMW M4  [9.00]
I don't know what the insane loyalty or need to have PSS on the vehicle. There are other tires guys...that work just as well on the car. I have friends that have put Advan's 008 on them and done well. Some have done Conti's and had success also. I went with Bridgestone Potenza S-04's and so far no difference from my PSS's noticed and sound/ride has been just as good. Maybe if I take the car on numerous track days then okay but I would fathom that a good many owners never do...especially enough to really feel the difference or NEED PSS or nothing. Done my share of track days so just not buying the PSS or nothing posts...my 2 cents.
'10 BMW X5M (Black/Black) - gone not forgotten
'08 BMW M3 (Space Gray/Black) - gone not forgotten
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2015, 11:40 PM   #79
BEMR
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 M4

Still on factory PSS, fronts still looking good even wear, backs just starting treadbars, 18g.

With integrity nothing else matters, without integrity nothing else matters.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2015, 11:51 PM   #80
Cfichman
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3P

Garage List
I have a pair of Michelin PSS 255/35R19 with about 800 miles on them for sale if anyone is interested. They still have the marking on the bottom. They basically look brand new. I am located in Miami.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2015, 04:55 AM   #81
G4BR13L
Major
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdrobc13 View Post
I don't know what the insane loyalty or need to have PSS on the vehicle. There are other tires guys...that work just as well on the car. I have friends that have put Advan's 008 on them and done well. Some have done Conti's and had success also. I went with Bridgestone Potenza S-04's and so far no difference from my PSS's noticed and sound/ride has been just as good. Maybe if I take the car on numerous track days then okay but I would fathom that a good many owners never do...especially enough to really feel the difference or NEED PSS or nothing. Done my share of track days so just not buying the PSS or nothing posts...my 2 cents.
I think that the main problem is when you have to replace just 1 tyre as you cannot just replace 1 Michelin tyre by a Bridgestone. If you have to replace the full set, sure.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2015, 06:19 AM   #82
Marckymarc305
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cfichman
I have a pair of Michelin PSS 255/35R19 with about 800 miles on them for sale if anyone is interested. They still have the marking on the bottom. They basically look brand new. I am located in Miami.
How much?
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2015, 06:22 AM   #83
freezey
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by G4BR13L
Quote:
I think that the main problem is when you have to replace just 1 tyre as you cannot just replace 1 Michelin tyre by a Bridgestone. If you have to replace the full set, sure.
This. I had one rear go and I have to replace all 4. Car went in on Sunday and I still don't have it yet.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2015, 10:05 AM   #84
Kr3st
Wheel Whore
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
I just put MPSS on my BBS FI-R's. Production date of 33rd week of 2015. So they're not old back stock.

275/30-19 & 295/30-19.
      10-25-2015, 06:17 PM   #85
shoei
Banned
Rep
Drives: MW Vespa w/pink racing stripes

Quote:
Originally Posted by G4BR13L View Post
this... I think you nailed it dead on, replacing 1 or 2 tires as opposed to having to replace all four at the same time - not to mention different brands...

and to the guy who does track days and doesn't understand preference to a particular set of rubber?? i'm going to have to disagree, especially if you have done track days as you say, then you should know better than that... even on my motorcycles, there are only two rubbers that I have run and will ever run - Pilot Powers and the Q2/Q3... please don't tell me there isn't a difference - it's like saying all blondes are the same...
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2015, 07:32 PM   #86
mdrobc13
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Made in Bavaria

Garage List
2021 BMW X3e  [0.00]
2016 BMW M4  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoei View Post
this... I think you nailed it dead on, replacing 1 or 2 tires as opposed to having to replace all four at the same time - not to mention different brands...

and to the guy who does track days and doesn't understand preference to a particular set of rubber?? i'm going to have to disagree, especially if you have done track days as you say, then you should know better than that... even on my motorcycles, there are only two rubbers that I have run and will ever run - Pilot Powers and the Q2/Q3... please don't tell me there isn't a difference - it's like saying all blondes are the same...
There may be a difference between the PSS and its competitors but I do not think it is one that a majority of drivers outside of the track rats/days can utilize or even realize especially for day to day driving which a good portion of these cars see. We're not talking about GT3 RS 911's guys or other dedicated track toys! So still do not see why the trend in downing other brands by Pirelli, Yokohama, Bridgestone, etc?
'10 BMW X5M (Black/Black) - gone not forgotten
'08 BMW M3 (Space Gray/Black) - gone not forgotten
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2015, 08:20 PM   #87
shoei
Banned
Rep
Drives: MW Vespa w/pink racing stripes

Quote:
There may be a difference between the PSS and its competitors but I do not think it is one that a majority of drivers outside of the track rats/days can utilize or even realize especially for day to day driving which a good portion of these cars see. We're not talking about GT3 RS 911's guys or other dedicated track toys! So still do not see why the trend in downing other brands by Pirelli, Yokohama, Bridgestone, etc?
Still goes back to the same thing... Factory options are Michelin and Continentals... Given the choice, one is much more preferable than the other - actually never cared much for Conti's myself, street let alone track... Ironically, the "rubber" used in the sole of the the Adidas Ultra Boosts are made by Continental and there is a well known large issue of the rubber being of super short life span just from walking... They had to redo their formula so to speak, in order to keep their partnership with Adidas going...

So if you had the choice between those two, I understand why the masses prefer the Michelin...

But to answer your question directly, I don't think it's an issue of not wanting other brands, it's more of an issue of most likely the people are having to replace one or two tires and obviously want to stick with the same brand... Are you going to run Michelin's in the front and Conti's / Dunlop / Bridgestone / Vreds etc in the rears??

Me personally, I like multiple different rubbers... PS is obviously my preference, I have history with them and they have suited me well, I also like the RE11... Your S04's are a good tire as well, wouldn't take them to the track but the treadlife is going to be considerably longer than PS / RE11... It's just different strokes for different folks - will they capitalize all the performance capabilities of the pilots or RE11 on the streets?? Most likely not unless their name is Ken Block or Valentino Rossi, but some people like having that extra piece of mind of what kind of rubber they are using... I tend to take my car up in the canyons late at night, just as I do my bikes, and probably do things that would be heavily frowned upon, so I prefer the extra contact... I'll pay the extra cash for extra stickiness, even if I don't need it 24-7 / 365... But tires are no different than say pizza preferences or even toppings... Not everyone is going to want pepperoni or jalapenos - at the end of the day, doesn't bother me none whatever tires other people want to run - I just care about what rubber goes on mine...
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2015, 08:39 PM   #88
G4BR13L
Major
Belgium
Rep

And if the car is tracked why not use 17" wheels and hence a much cheaper tyre set. Unless you have got too much money to burn by tracking the car using a relatively speaking expensive set of tyres.
Appreciate 0