Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

07-09-2021, 07:46 PM   #1
F82CS
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4CS

Cops issue

Has anyone ever had any issue with cops while owning there m3 m4 ? I do get pulled over sometimes, but im always respectful and polite
I want to hear your guys experiences
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2021, 07:59 PM   #2
bvrider1
Captain
Rep
Drives: e90 m3 + f80 zcp

Never, there are no reasons for cops to pull me over.

The better question, why are you getting pulled over? Is your car stock?
Appreciate 1
      07-09-2021, 08:10 PM   #3
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

I haven't been pulled over in nearly ten years, so not here no.
Appreciate 1
RickFLM410968.00
      07-09-2021, 08:14 PM   #4
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

I haven't. If I get pulled over for speeding I do the standard: interior lights on, engine off, all windows down, hands on the steering wheel, no sudden movements or hanky panky.

I treat cops as I would like to be treated when pulling over unknown cars, they are humans and are here to protect us.

I've lived in 7 countries and am an immigrant. So far the US police force is as close to perfect as one could reasonably expect.

Last edited by SYT_Shadow; 07-09-2021 at 08:30 PM..
Appreciate 22
bvrider1343.50
Ex_Stig2594.00
zamboni1127.50
SYM46.00
bsmf8x777.00
TideMD291.50
Kilabyte3948.00
ntg442888.50
RickFLM410968.00
NickyC17473.50
Frözpeed144.50
JoePcone145.00
BOOF-M34451.50
SMGCFP584.50
BigHunk269.50
TI.3VOM73.50
      07-09-2021, 08:32 PM   #5
Suds
/M Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: Responsiblish

Nope, but.

But I was pulled over once in my 2015 M4.
I was on the freeway and got chased down by an officer driving on a 2-way service road on the other side of the freeway. I looked over to the left and saw a vehicle hauling ass on a side road beside the freeway. So no radar and my speed was a guess to him. He chased across an overpass, went by me because I had slowed down to the limit, he then slowed down and pulled behind my car. I stopped and rolled my windows down, he walked up and I handed him my license and insurance card and we never spoke a word. I received a ticket for 104 in a 65, which was reasonable and I paid because it was way low. Funny part was watching him nearly loose the patrol car on a turn trying to get onto the freeway.

Last edited by Suds; 07-09-2021 at 09:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2021, 09:18 PM   #6
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep
Drives: '24 GT4RS, '24 Macan GTS

Garage List
If it's Sedan_Clan he might pull you over to say hi.
RickFLM410968.00
mahalom3163.00
      07-09-2021, 09:26 PM   #7
fiveohwblow
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15, E46 & M3, F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcades View Post
If it's Sedan_Clan he might pull you over to say hi.
That dude is so slow he couldn’t catch me

To the OP, these threads always end up divisive. The best thing you can do is share a specific example and let us unpack the situation with a much assumption removed as possible.. otherwise my experience getting yanked in my m’s is VERY low. In other cars: OFTEN. No idea why
Appreciate 2
SYT_Shadow11479.50
Arcades8169.50
      07-09-2021, 10:26 PM   #8
Boy_with_Joy
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: F83;e92 M3;X3 35i MSpt;X1 MSpt

My F83 was a cop magnet in Central NJ. Got pulled over twice in the 1st of year owning the car, once for passing from the right (that was the officer's reason) although I suspect he did not like me taking off in Sport+ on green, and then the next one for 38 in 25. I was treated respectfully both times, paid the tickets and driven it like a Buick if I saw a cop anywhere near. Pandemic struck, wife's job moved to Dallas, TX - a driver's paradise. I brought it here - feel liberated!
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2021, 11:12 PM   #9
JagR2611
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
I haven't. If I get pulled over for speeding I do the standard: interior lights on, engine off, all windows down, hands on the steering wheel, no sudden movements or hanky panky.

I treat cops as I would like to be treated when pulling over unknown cars, they are humans and are here to protect us.

I've lived in 7 countries and am an immigrant. So far the US police force is as close to perfect as one could reasonably expect.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post

Very well said - Thank you for sharing.

I haven't been pulled over in my F80 but have in my AMG and handle it in the exact same manner. If your windows are dark, I think rolling them all down is key. (1) it allows the officer to see in the car and (2) you might get away w/o a "fix it" ticket to have the tint removed.
Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow11479.50
      07-10-2021, 01:14 AM   #10
Slowphiveo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 Heritage Edition

I have a cop issue and I drive an M4 🤣.
Appreciate 1
      07-10-2021, 02:14 AM   #11
sna66
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F83

Cops had a really rough past few years, I can't blame them for leaving the job tbh - not worth it. They have to deal with a ton of crap and risks. If you ask me, everything that got escalated was due to scumbags resisting, but that's another story. Also I really wish that cops would use less lethal force - like shoot em in the leg or tase them something.

Haven't gotten pulled over by the cops - knock on wood - since I had bimmers. Did have some funny stuff happen in the f83 though. Took off at a light, floored it hit about 50, looked in rear view and saw 2 motor cycle cops, one of them flew up next to me, I got off the gas and waved at him ... he said he just wanted to hear the exhaust note, thought I was done - heard those bike cops are the worst.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2021, 02:28 AM   #12
petar7408
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 m3

been a decade! I have slowed down alot on normal driving areas.. I used to drive 35 in 25 and some silly things like that but its been a good run for me. Alot of it is the color of the car- I've had white /black and grey cars for 6 years now and they blend in easier
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2021, 03:28 AM   #13
Slowphiveo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 Heritage Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by sna66 View Post
Cops had a really rough past few years, I can't blame them for leaving the job tbh - not worth it. They have to deal with a ton of crap and risks. If you ask me, everything that got escalated was due to scumbags resisting, but that's another story. Also I really wish that cops would use less lethal force - like shoot em in the leg or tase them something.

Haven't gotten pulled over by the cops - knock on wood - since I had bimmers. Did have some funny stuff happen in the f83 though. Took off at a light, floored it hit about 50, looked in rear view and saw 2 motor cycle cops, one of them flew up next to me, I got off the gas and waved at him ... he said he just wanted to hear the exhaust note, thought I was done - heard those bike cops are the worst.
Shooting at a leg or extremities only works in the movies. Police are taught to aim at the torso because it's the largest section of body to hit...and no one ever stands still and gives the officer a perfect silhouette to shoot at. Aiming at an extremity opens the officer and the agency up to extreme liability. Every round down range has to be accounted for and most likely shooting at a moving arm is going to lead to a miss...that round is going to keep going until it hits something or someone. The only shooters who are trained to shoot at extremities are trained snipers, and that requires special equipment and years of constant training. Your average patrol cop is not carrying a .308 with a bipod and a scope on their belt. As far as tasers go, they do not always stop a threat, despite what Hollywood would have you believe. Clothing, jackets and bad angles can all lead to the probes not connecting as they should. No cop would ever bring a taser to a deadly force scenario.

As far as cars go...you would be surprised how many police officers are gearheads.

Last edited by Slowphiveo; 07-10-2021 at 03:36 AM..
Appreciate 3
bsmf8x777.00
TideMD291.50
doug_9992541.50
      07-10-2021, 06:49 AM   #14
Tecnniqe
Sad ///M noises
No_Country
Rep
Drives: ///M4 COMPETITION

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveohwblow View Post
That dude is so slow he couldn’t catch me

To the OP, these threads always end up divisive. The best thing you can do is share a specific example and let us unpack the situation with a much assumption removed as possible.. otherwise my experience getting yanked in my m’s is VERY low. In other cars: OFTEN. No idea why
They're so in awe of the green they can't focus on hitting the light switch to pull you over

That said I've had them follow me and look at me like for making noises but that's about it outside of "regular" traffic stops
Appreciate 1
      07-10-2021, 07:17 AM   #15
Silverlining_m2
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2, 2024 m235i

Recently I zipped around a car on the highway, to the right, and quick back to the left to avoid an even slower car with a cop behind me. I didn't see him obviously, hit 100mph VERY quickly, and then back down to 5 over, and moved into in the right lane.

I saw him flying up behind me and assumed a ticket (or worse) would be coming. I've had many. (I've had many cars too. Most when I made less money and had lesser cars than my m4...) Anyway, he pulled right up next to me, slowed down, stared at me through my illegal tint for 3 ish seconds, and took off about 110mph.

Which leads me to, despite all the racing around many of us with nicer, faster type cars do, how often do you even SEE a "nice" car pulled over? Almost never.

The cops aren't looking for well off people with nice cars to give speeding tickets to. That's chump change. They're looking for targets. Crappy cars with speeders or those with some car malfunction deemed appropriate to pull over, so they can bust people for drugs to feed the prison system with. That's the truth of it. In fact I've had multiple clients of mine who are officers tell me they LOOK for shitty cars, and DIRTY INTERIORS as targets for drugs.

I believe the answer is no, not many who have an m are having much trouble with the cops.
      07-10-2021, 07:51 AM   #16
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F80 M3, 22 G01 X3 30i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by F82spaceship View Post
Recently I zipped around a car on the highway, to the right, and quick back to the left to avoid an even slower car with a cop behind me. I didn't see him obviously, hit 100mph VERY quickly, and then back down to 5 over, and moved into in the right lane.

I saw him flying up behind me and assumed a ticket (or worse) would be coming. I've had many. (I've had many cars too. Most when I made less money and had lesser cars than my m4...) Anyway, he pulled right up next to me, slowed down, stared at me through my illegal tint for 3 ish seconds, and took off about 110mph.

Which leads me to, despite all the racing around many of us with nicer, faster type cars do, how often do you even SEE a "nice" car pulled over? Almost never.

The cops aren't looking for well off people with nice cars to give speeding tickets to. That's chump change. They're looking for targets. Crappy cars with speeders or those with some car malfunction deemed appropriate to pull over, so they can bust people for drugs to feed the prison system with. That's the truth of it. In fact I've had multiple clients of mine who are officers tell me they LOOK for shitty cars, and DIRTY INTERIORS as targets for drugs.

I believe the answer is no, not many who have an m are having much trouble with the cops.
So you actually have no personal law enforcement experience, correct? Never received any law enforcement training, specifically traffic enforcement, right? That would account for your completely inaccurate statements above.

"Probable cause" comes in many forms, but the age or condition of any given vehicle isn't part of the criteria, other than visible damage that would make it unsafe to be driven.

2015 F80 ///M3 Sedan 7DCT Tanzanite, 2022 X3 sDrive30i 8AT Brooklyn Grey
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2021, 07:54 AM   #17
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowphiveo View Post
I have a cop issue and I drive an M4 🤣.
That's really funny!!!
"I have a cop issue"
      07-10-2021, 08:01 AM   #18
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Nope. Driving like an asshole every once in a while instead of all the time helps reduce odds. If pulled over, just follow what SYT_Shadow said and if there are passengers tell them to sit still with their hands somewhere that can be seen.
SYT_Shadow11479.50
BOOF-M34451.50
      07-10-2021, 08:45 AM   #19
Silverlining_m2
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2, 2024 m235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundelM3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by F82spaceship View Post

So you actually have no personal law enforcement experience, correct? Never received any law enforcement training, specifically traffic enforcement, right? That would account for your completely inaccurate statements above.

"Probable cause" comes in many forms, but the age or condition of any given vehicle isn't part of the criteria, other than visible damage that would make it unsafe to be driven.
Don't be mad becaue I told you what some cops told me. It's what they really told me. I didn't speak as if I do have law enforcement experience. What I do have is literal first hand accounts and experience dealing WITH law enforcement. Certainly enough to make the statements I did. Thanks for your attempt to correct me, but nothing I said, aside from MAYBE the fact they're really just looking for drugs is conjecture. I simply repeated words that again, I've been told by multiple officers.

Perhaps you've never been pulled over in a piece of shit car while going 4 mph over in a 40, (4th in a line of cars doing the exact same), and had the officer bust a u turn, pull you over and immediately ask if you have drugs or weapons in the car? Because I promise they don't ask that EVERY TIME. Matter of fact I haven't been asked that while being pulled over since I've had a nice car at all. Not once... but it sure used to happen when my car sucked. Not sure why you're taking offense to my statements but that's a you problem. Not a me problem.

Again, no, m drivers don't have issues with police.
      07-10-2021, 09:04 AM   #20
deeldoo
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 - DCT 2016

Never, i get thumbs up and they leave me alone.
Appreciate 1
      07-10-2021, 10:11 AM   #21
bvrider1
Captain
Rep
Drives: e90 m3 + f80 zcp

+1

Drive like an ass and wonder why you get pulled over or crap from other drivers.

Just be sensible and show some self control sometimes.

Track days are cheaper than tickets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
Nope. Driving like an asshole every once in a while instead of all the time helps reduce odds. If pulled over, just follow what SYT_Shadow said and if there are passengers tell them to sit still with their hands somewhere that can be seen.
Appreciate 1
RickFLM410968.00
      07-10-2021, 11:45 AM   #22
HyeM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagR2611 View Post
If your windows are dark, I think rolling them all down is key. (1) it allows the officer to see in the car and (2) you might get away w/o a "fix it" ticket to have the tint removed.
Man I wish I could say the same.. There was one night in my old car where I was doing like 30 in a 45 because it was rainy, midnight, driving on a spare tire, I was driving near a police station, and I just made U turn out of a neighborhood and was getting up to speed. Saw a cop about a 1/4 mile behind me hauling ass up to me. Claimed I had to be doing 70 because she had to go 80 to catch up to me. When she pulled me over I rolled down all my windows immediately, hands on the wheel, keys on dash, asked permission to reach for things. Kindly explained how it was impossible for me to be speeding and told her I understand she's probably just checking to see if I was drunk. She didn't like that she couldn't give me some bs speeding ticket so she then proceeded to give me fix it tickets for tint, modified exhaust, no front plate, and some obstruction one for having something mounted on the windshield. All like a couple days before Christmas too🙄
Appreciate 0