Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

05-31-2020, 07:44 AM   #23
jc05e46m3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 F90 M5 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by yayaya View Post
Nice! Would you say stock F80 is slower than gt3 in straight line?
Yes.
'15 /// M4 - YMB/SO - Sold
'12 E92 ///M3 ZCP - AW/FR - Sold
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2020, 12:44 AM   #24
UGADawgFan
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991.1 GT3, B9 S4, E92 M3, G05

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsur View Post
Check out Dundon Motorsports as well for exhaust options.
Love their stuff, but man, you pay for it
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFromPA View Post
Very nice man. I recently sold my m3 after almost 6 years and went to a 997.1 turbo 6mt.
That's awesome! Congrats!
Quote:
How do you like it so far? Any regrets?
Loving it- no regrets at all. It's much slower at the top end than my F80, but the car is much more visceral and exciting to drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEROK View Post
UGA, congrats man. That thing has got to sound insane esp after you add a GMG bypass or something like it.

How are you logically navigating through owning a car with, presumably, a replaced engine covered for 4 warrantied years at a minimum?

I understand with the new .2 lump, there's little to worry about as it's inherently a much more robust design.
It sounds insane stock, but I can't WAIT to hear it with the center muffler bypass installed ( I ordered a soul performance one)

The engine has been replaced in mine (it was replaced when the car had 600 miles on it- I assume due to the recall) ...and I'm under warranty until January 2025 or 120,000 miles whichever comes first. The car has 11,000 miles on it now so I'm not worried about it at all. Thankfully my car is one of the few that hasn't been beaten to death on a track (original owner had it in a car collection).

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325iExecutive View Post
Congratulations on the purchase. Very happy for your purchase. Enjoy in good health!!
Thanks so much!

Quote:
I'm going to be in the market for an E92, 997 turbo, or a GT4 within the next couple of years so this was helpful. I agree that having the engine behind you is a completely different feeling that you'll only get with Porsche and higher end automobile manufacturers. I've heard some say the E92 sounds better than the Turbo/GT4 and vice versa. I guess it's all subjective and depends on what exhaust setup you have. Although the Turbo is kind of muffled because of the twin turbos, I'd say it sounds good in a different way because with an aftermarket setup, you'll be able to hear them spool up and blow off. Honestly you have to experience P cars in person to understand how good they are. The first time I rode in a GT3 and the sound of the engine was amazing. YouTube compression unfortunately does not portray that same feeling. I was also looking at a F80 M3 but I'm not a fan of the sound it makes when it releases boost pressure. At that point I'd rather get a 997 turbo. As for ride comfort and interior quality, I will be coming from a older Mustang so it's not a big issue for me. I'm sure any of the cars I upgrade to will be superior in almost every way.
The sound is the MAIN reason that I sold my F80. I missed my E92 M3 every day that I had the F80 because simply beacause of that sound track. I fully admit the F8X is superior in every way to the E92, but I could never love the car since it was boring to rev out. So rather than go back to an E92 M3, my wife told me to go ahead and buy my dream car - and the GT3 does not disappoint.

I will say that I drove several Cayman GT4's (and toyed with ordering a new 718 Spyder), and as awesome as they are, I couldn't get over the long gearing..what fun is a manual that you can't shift very often? I know Sharkwerks makes a replacement gear set, but spending $10K on fixing a huge flaw wasn't appealing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaMMM View Post
This should be pushed into every 911 vs. M3 thread from here forward. Props for a normal, non-fanboy assessment. Don't see how you acquire a 911 and not develop an overwhelming appreciation for the diverse talents of the M3. If you don't have, then you didn't really explore and enjoy the potential of the m3.

Congrats, OP. Sharkwerks sport exhaust is killer, if you're looking for some more character but don't want to (even potentially) mess with the engine warranty. (Assuming you don't have a G transplant already.) Cold starts are LOUD, though. https://www.sharkwerks.com/exhaust/p...gt3-rs-SHAX410
Sorry, as I stated before, while I liked my F80 (I especially loved LOOKING at it, since it's a gorgeous design and I adore Sakhir Orange), but I never loved driving it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcpatters View Post
It goes without saying OP, that is a beautiful GT3.

UGADawgFan

Off topic, I was out in Athens last season to catch a UGA game. Wow, what an experience. UGA fans definitely show up for games.
Thank you OMG tell me about it. Something special about seeing a game between the hedges.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blockdoc View Post
Nice car brother!!!!!! Enjoy!
Thanks!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
S55 sounds like crap and it's improved with an exhaust but who cares because that's a nice upgrade! Congrats!
No exhaust could ever fix the S55 sound in my book. In fact, when it was driving away and I heard the new owner (who's a dear friend of mine) take off at WOT, I knew I had made the right decision to move on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yayaya View Post
Nice! Would you say stock F80 is slower than gt3 in straight line?
Yes and no- not on a launch mainly because of the traction advantage and the superior launch control the GT3 has. My F80 had a tune so it's not a fair fight, but on a highway pull a tuned F80 will destroy the GT3. But then highway pulls aren't what the GT3 was built for If the F80 is stock, the GT3 is faster even at speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc05e46m3 View Post
Hell yes! Congrats! I went to a .2 GT3 myself back in April and haven't even thought about looking back. These cars are a riot! It does remind me a lot of the E92 in terms of power delivery.
Agree 100% ...GT3 makes you work for the power like the E9X M3 did.

And lucky you! I wanted to get a 991.2 GT3, but couldn't justify the $50K price difference. I'm going to use the difference in cash to buy a Jeep Wrangler

Last edited by UGADawgFan; 06-08-2020 at 09:34 AM..
Appreciate 1
jc05e46m3843.50
      06-01-2020, 12:00 PM   #25
LLNM4
Second Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: M4 F82 MG

Stage 2+ tuning and catless downpipes is enough.... some do the midpipe..
No exhaust will give the c63S sound
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2020, 12:46 PM   #26
UGADawgFan
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLNM4 View Post
Stage 2+ tuning and catless downpipes is enough.... some do the midpipe..
No exhaust will give the c63S sound
of course not, it's a flat-six, not a V8.

I'm going to do the full exhaust (maybe headers), but truth be told, I don't care about more power - just sound. The tune is no-go because it WILL kill the warranty and I'm not in the mood to replace a GT3 engine out-of-pocket because I needed to get 12 horsepower.
Appreciate 1
2011ninja3324.00
      06-01-2020, 01:49 PM   #27
Humdizzle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: GT3 + M2c

sound is very important. If I could only have one car in the garage i'd take an e92 over an F8x as well. luckily I already have a high revving V8.. so the F80 fills in where the NA engines lack (torque). Its the perfect sidekick car and just does everything well. just wish it had a good soundtrack... will wait to hear one of these new equal length exhausts.

2018 Porsche GT3 6MT
2021 M2C DCT
Previous: Ferrari 458 | R35 GTR | F80 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3 | Scion FRS
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2020, 02:44 PM   #28
UGADawgFan
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humdizzle View Post
sound is very important. If I could only have one car in the garage i'd take an e92 over an F8x as well. luckily I already have a high revving V8.. so the F80 fills in where the NA engines lack (torque). Its the perfect sidekick car and just does everything well. just wish it had a good soundtrack... will wait to hear one of these new equal length exhausts.
Lol, you don't have "a high revving V8" , you have *THE* high revving V8

I'd take a 458 over a GT3 in a heartbeat!
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2020, 03:05 PM   #29
Humdizzle
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UGADawgFan View Post
Lol, you don't have "a high revving V8" , you have *THE* high revving V8

I'd take a 458 over a GT3 in a heartbeat!
haha well i'm actually trying to sell mine for a .2 GT3 or 992 gt3. I agree v8 > flat 6... but Porsche build quality is just second to none, they offer a manual, I still get to have a 9k redline.

2018 Porsche GT3 6MT
2021 M2C DCT
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2020, 03:51 PM   #30
///M Ryder
Grown Azz Man
United_States
Rep
Drives: GT4

Welcome to what we like to call "The Darkside". Wanted to leave you a small welcome aboard gift. Enjoy the Beast in good health and grab some headphones...…..Phil

2016 GT4.....Sapphire Blue Metallic, Platinum stitch Leather/Alcantara interior, Carbon Fiber Trim, PCM w/Nav, Guards Red Belts, 2 Zone Climate, Sport Chrono, LWB, Smokers Pack, Big Gas Tank, Light Design Pack, Bi-Xenon w/PDL, Auto Dim Mirror, Clear Side Markers, GTS Clear Taillights
Appreciate 2
      06-03-2020, 02:22 PM   #31
996ttelise
Captain
Rep
Drives: 458, GTS, Performante

Quote:
This should be pushed into every 911 vs. M3 thread from here forward. Props for a normal, non-fanboy assessment. Don't see how you acquire a 911 and not develop an overwhelming appreciation for the diverse talents of the M3. If you don't have, then you didn't really explore and enjoy the potential of the m3.

Congrats, OP. Sharkwerks sport exhaust is killer, if you're looking for some more character but don't want to (even potentially) mess with the engine warranty. (Assuming you don't have a G transplant already.) Cold starts are LOUD, though. https://www.sharkwerks.com/exhaust/p...gt3-rs-SHAX410
He is comparing a 12 year old 997.1. Since then, there has been a 997.2 (massive revamp over 997.1), 991.1, 991.2 and 992. I have had each of these except my 992 Turbo is on order. The 997.1 Turbo is very dated technology and performance wise, but still a nice car with the Mezger. I tried the F80 did not like it. I am not sure the F80 really does anything well, but may seem that way if your used to driving Hondas or other BMWs.

Not a fanboi, I have other brands that are more costly than my 911s, but I use 911s as daily drives as they cannot be best for a combination of comfort, versatility, performance, durability, dependability and cheap maintenance costs compared to other high end sports cars.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2020, 02:57 PM   #32
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 996ttelise View Post
I am not sure the F80 really does anything well, but may seem that way if your used to driving Hondas or other BMWs.
Wow, dude, you really had to go there with the Honda, huh?

Are there any 911s that have four doors and a usable back seat? Not to my knowledge. The 911 was built as a sports car from the ground up, it costs over a hundo grand new and so obviously it's better at - wait for it - being a luxury sports car more than an M3 which is, at the end of the day, a heavily modified regular ass sedan.

And if anyone here can DD a 911 instead of a family car with folding rear seats, then I am envious, but we should probably stop comparing apples to oranges here.
ra2289302.00
      06-03-2020, 03:09 PM   #33
THEROK
Major
South Korea
Rep
Drives: Genesis GV80

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Ryder View Post
Welcome to what we like to call "The Darkside". Wanted to leave you a small welcome aboard gift. Enjoy the Beast in good health and grab some headphones...…..Phil

The .2 with the legit engine is THE one to have. Beauty.
      06-03-2020, 04:10 PM   #34
erictrainer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 16 F80 6MT MG on SO

OP Just curious? Why do you say the F80 is faster? Was yours tuned? In my experience the GT3 is faster, just barely but faster.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2020, 06:17 AM   #35
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Quote:
Quote:

He is comparing a 12 year old 997.1. Since then, there has been a 997.2 (massive revamp over 997.1), 991.1, 991.2 and 992. I have had each of these except my 992 Turbo is on order. The 997.1 Turbo is very dated technology and performance wise, but still a nice car with the Mezger. I tried the F80 did not like it. I am not sure the F80 really does anything well, but may seem that way if your used to driving Hondas or other BMWs.

Not a fanboi, I have other brands that are more costly than my 911s, but I use 911s as daily drives as they cannot be best for a combination of comfort, versatility, performance, durability, dependability and cheap maintenance costs compared to other high end sports cars.
This post is cringe worthy.
Appreciate 7
Jockey3434.50
ra2289302.00
jlspeed29483.00
Vivek.1363.50
      06-04-2020, 07:07 AM   #36
JoeFromPA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 AW M3 6MT Stripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon View Post
Wow, dude, you really had to go there with the Honda, huh?

Are there any 911s that have four doors and a usable back seat? Not to my knowledge. The 911 was built as a sports car from the ground up, it costs over a hundo grand new and so obviously it's better at - wait for it - being a luxury sports car more than an M3 which is, at the end of the day, a heavily modified regular ass sedan.

And if anyone here can DD a 911 instead of a family car with folding rear seats, then I am envious, but we should probably stop comparing apples to oranges here.
I bought an e39 m5 as the ideal daily driver back in 2011, had my first child in 2012. Drove him home in it. Owning an e39 m5 was less than ideal for me with a first child due to regular needs to fix little things on it and just constantly running out of time. Ironically, I considered a 997.1 turbo back at that time too but then found out we were pregnant with our 2nd child.

Bought the f80 m3 in June 2014 (took delivery in August). Great car, great with two kids. Daily drove it 17k miles in first year with a 2.5 year old and newborn often driven in it.

Now 6 years later I've got 3 vehicles total: A minivan (ugh), a 2019 Jeep Wrangler (fun to drive and fits 3 across in the back), and now the 911 with 2 kids in the back.

Is it possible to daily drive a 911 with 2 kids? Yes. Much like in the 1970s it was possible to daily drive early Hondas and Toyotas with 2 kids. You contort your body and theirs to fit them in and get them out, you have a little bit of cargo space (I can fit 3 whole bags of groceries in the frunk!), etc.

Is it going to be an absolute inconvenience compared to almost any sedan? Yes.

My m3, brand new, was 70% the price of the 12 year old 911 I bought. It's simply an amazing value. I left it because variety is the spice of life and I dream of experiencing different things.

Does that mean I wish I had bought a 997.1 turbo 6 years ago? No.
Dinh335711.00
ra2289302.00
      06-04-2020, 07:47 AM   #37
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFromPA View Post
I bought an e39 m5 as the ideal daily driver back in 2011, had my first child in 2012. Drove him home in it. Owning an e39 m5 was less than ideal for me with a first child due to regular needs to fix little things on it and just constantly running out of time. Ironically, I considered a 997.1 turbo back at that time too but then found out we were pregnant with our 2nd child.

Bought the f80 m3 in June 2014 (took delivery in August). Great car, great with two kids. Daily drove it 17k miles in first year with a 2.5 year old and newborn often driven in it.

Now 6 years later I've got 3 vehicles total: A minivan (ugh), a 2019 Jeep Wrangler (fun to drive and fits 3 across in the back), and now the 911 with 2 kids in the back.

Is it possible to daily drive a 911 with 2 kids? Yes. Much like in the 1970s it was possible to daily drive early Hondas and Toyotas with 2 kids. You contort your body and theirs to fit them in and get them out, you have a little bit of cargo space (I can fit 3 whole bags of groceries in the frunk!), etc.

Is it going to be an absolute inconvenience compared to almost any sedan? Yes.

My m3, brand new, was 70% the price of the 12 year old 911 I bought. It's simply an amazing value. I left it because variety is the spice of life and I dream of experiencing different things.

Does that mean I wish I had bought a 997.1 turbo 6 years ago? No.
Always appreciate your level-headed posts

Being born in Europe, I am used to (relative to America) small cars; fully packed Golfs going across the continent is nothing out of the ordinary here and we totally did that. The idea of having to have a full-size SUV because the family has one small child is crazy to me but that's today's world for ya. If we had to have a big family car, we'd buy something like a VW Multivan or the European equivalent of your MB Metris. Fits five grown people, their bicycles and half the household!

Either way, I carry adults in the car, sometimes I am in the backseat myself, and so I find a car like the F80 perfect for my needs. Also have an E82 and it's just slightly more annoying to use as a sole DD, like you say. And for the price of the F80, I could only afford a 997.1 C2/C2S with over 40k miles - most Carreras are boring black on black models with no options... Meh. 997/991 and 981s hold their value here much better than in the USA (been eyeing 981 Caymans lately but NONE have an LSD).

Last edited by swagon; 06-04-2020 at 07:54 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2020, 09:25 AM   #38
UGADawgFan
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by erictrainer View Post
OP Just curious? Why do you say the F80 is faster? Was yours tuned? In my experience the GT3 is faster, just barely but faster.
Yes, my F80 had the Alpine Stage 2 tune (but no downpipes). It definitely pulled harder from 60-130 than the GT3. You're right, stock, the GT3 is quicker.

No contest on the backroads though. GT3 is a masterpiece.
Appreciate 2
      06-05-2020, 01:02 PM   #39
Humdizzle
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon View Post
Always appreciate your level-headed posts

Being born in Europe, I am used to (relative to America) small cars; fully packed Golfs going across the continent is nothing out of the ordinary here and we totally did that. The idea of having to have a full-size SUV because the family has one small child is crazy to me but that's today's world for ya. If we had to have a big family car, we'd buy something like a VW Multivan or the European equivalent of your MB Metris. Fits five grown people, their bicycles and half the household!

Either way, I carry adults in the car, sometimes I am in the backseat myself, and so I find a car like the F80 perfect for my needs. Also have an E82 and it's just slightly more annoying to use as a sole DD, like you say. And for the price of the F80, I could only afford a 997.1 C2/C2S with over 40k miles - most Carreras are boring black on black models with no options... Meh. 997/991 and 981s hold their value here much better than in the USA (been eyeing 981 Caymans lately but NONE have an LSD).
totally agree.

the f80 is the new M5 imo. its the same size as an e39 or early 2000s Mercedes E-class that my mom took me and my bro to school in. Why anyone would need anything bigger for 3-4 person household is beyond me. maybe because people prefer quantity over quality. maybe because of the rise in obesity... idk.

I've seen posts on this forum telling people its cruel to put a kid in the backseat of an m3cs because there are no aircon vents in the back.

2018 Porsche GT3 6MT
2021 M2C DCT
Appreciate 1
      06-05-2020, 04:13 PM   #40
GERMAN M3
Lieutenant Colonel
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Comp.

Congrats UGA....definitely a nice upgrade. Hope to make that jump myself one day.
      06-06-2020, 12:24 AM   #41
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
. I tried the F80 did not like it. I am not sure the F80 really does anything well, but may seem that way if your used to driving Hondas or other BMWs.

Not a fanboi, I have other brands that are more costly than my 911s, but I use 911s as daily drives
F80post serving up quality entertainment during covid yet again

Edit: maybe a better question for PM but have you tried daily driving a manual transmission vantage? It’s been somewhat on my radar screen
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2020, 11:29 AM   #42
Jockey
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 992 C4S

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
F80post serving up quality entertainment during covid yet again

Edit: maybe a better question for PM but have you tried daily driving a manual transmission vantage? It’s been somewhat on my radar screen
All he does is bash BMWs especially the F8X generation. Not quite sure he's even on this board.
Appreciate 1
      06-06-2020, 01:15 PM   #43
Maitre_Absolut
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3 CS, Audi RS6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humdizzle View Post
totally agree.

the f80 is the new M5 imo. its the same size as an e39 or early 2000s Mercedes E-class that my mom took me and my bro to school in. Why anyone would need anything bigger for 3-4 person household is beyond me. maybe because people prefer quantity over quality. maybe because of the rise in obesity... idk.

I've seen posts on this forum telling people its cruel to put a kid in the backseat of an m3cs because there are no aircon vents in the back.
I remember that lol. Cruel for the parent to drive without armest too

I also dont understand the need for cars as big as todays 5 series, and people who believe an M5 is a natural upgrade from an M3. I wouldnt even consider one if it was cheaper than the M3, zero desire to drive something that big and heavy.
17 Porsche Macan GTS
14 Audi S4
Appreciate 1
Humdizzle6024.00
      06-06-2020, 04:30 PM   #44
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maitre_Absolut View Post
I remember that lol. Cruel for the parent to drive without armest too

I also dont understand the need for cars as big as todays 5 series, and people who believe an M5 is a natural upgrade from an M3. I wouldnt even consider one if it was cheaper than the M3, zero desire to drive something that big and heavy.
Have you taken an m5 or e63 class car on a long high speed road trip?

I didn’t understand e63 wagon until I went for a road trip to the track using the ontariobahn (hwy 401 in Ontario). Massaging and ventilated seats and effortlessly blasting past everything was amazing.

If it’s an M3/m4 owner who is part of their 45% who don’t track their car (data from 2017 f80post poll) then an m5 kind of is a natural upgrade
Appreciate 0