Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

01-05-2021, 07:46 PM   #1
ToySnobs
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4

M4 to GTR

Hey guys - I hope I'm in the right spot to be posting this. I'm in a position where I can sell my M4 for a GTR.

Here's the catch - I haven't fully taken advantage of the M4 yet. I've only done exterior mods and was about to start with a few basic engine mods (intake, down pipes and tune). I love this car but have this thing for a GTR.

I'd rather not be impulsive and move on. So I wanted to hear some of your guys thoughts.

I've had my car for almost 3 years and I'm starting to get that itch.

Sorry in advance for a noobie/ish post.

Will
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2021, 11:35 PM   #2
AlterZgo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 23 X3 M40i, 21 911S, 24 Taycan

Sounds like you want the GTR. Don't spend another penny on the M4. 3 yrs is long enough to know if you want to keep the M4 and start modding it or move on. Clearly you want to move on so just get the GTR. Save the mod money for the GTR.
Appreciate 2
      01-05-2021, 11:36 PM   #3
CYANiDE
First Lieutenant
Dominican Republic
Rep
Drives: X5 4.0i M Sport

You're in Miami. The GTR on 95 will be an absolute monster. However, when you're stuck in traffic during rush hour, you will be much happier in the M4 - it is a much more livable car with better interior, better creature comfort, etc.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2021, 12:44 AM   #4
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Do you have a rare configuration m4? Are you 100% certain of the gtr history and mod status?

The more “common” your m4 and the more you know of the gtr, the more the scales tip in favor of gtr, imho

Plus the m4 is still in production and they made a lot of them, so you can get one back fairly easily
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2021, 01:08 AM   #5
Humdizzle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: GT3 + M2c

i've had both. FBO E85 GTR and currently a stage 1 M3.

The GTR is the better performance car by a good margin. Main reason being grip. It hooks all day every day. Rain or cold temps it doesn't matter. You can have 600whp+ at your disposal at all times. You can fit massive rubber on it to compared to the f8x platform increasing the grip even more out of corners or during braking.

The f80 is a better daily and more refined. It flows well corner to corner where the GTR is more of a 'brake early, tip toe through the corner, and then mash the gas out after apex and hang on'. this is due to the weight (~300 pounds more) and you can feel the mass trying to hustle it through tight switchbacks.

no doubt the GTR is effective though. The new G80 M3 is basically following the GTR recipe for success.

also as nicknaz pointed out. the GTR is rarer and values are holding insanely well.

2018 Porsche GT3 6MT
2021 M2C DCT
Previous: Ferrari 458 | R35 GTR | F80 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3 | Scion FRS
Appreciate 1
2011ninja3318.00
      01-06-2021, 10:58 AM   #6
THEROK
Major
South Korea
Rep
Drives: Genesis GV80

The GTR is def more special.

You have what 5 takumis on Earth who hand build each engine in a surgically clean assembly room that makes the AMG one man one engine look like a Mickey D's operation?

All of this high engineering, ultra low volume product pushing doesn't come cheap, but you know that all of your money is going to engineering v the M Town marketing bs coming out of Munich these days.

For me it depends on which model and year. I'd totally dump a CS for a 2020 Nismo. On 2nd thought, I'd actually chin scratch between a Nismo and a 991.2 RS. Anything less than a Nismo I'll respect, but is a hard pass. Way too many molested examples and variation in editions and factory backed incremental improvements etc over many years similar to M4s.

Need to get way more detailed as a GTR v M4 decision is rife with generalities. Good luck.