European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

04-06-2015, 08:00 PM   #23
buildbright
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 MG

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
It's true, the M3 and 335 are similar when driven gently around town and the interior is pretty much identical. It's too bad for that other owner if their usage pattern is so tame that they can't get past that to really see where the M3 shines.

Personally, I saw the dynos of 420whp stock and 119mph trap speeds with DCT, and the articles mentioned the # of radiators the 380mm front brake rotor size, lack of bushings in the rear suspension mounting, etc. I ignored all press and forum comments and ordered the car without a test drive.

4 door / 5 seats car for $60k before tax with those characteristics is a such a winner in my eyes and I don't see how people are paying close to that money to get a 435 or 335 instead.

My wife currently has a MW F30 335 (we've had it for 2 years now) and my F80 M3 is on the way back to the US from Euro Delivery so if you have any more detailed questions let me know!
Thanks I am confident the suspension being stiffer, sharp throttle response, loud exhaust sound will make low speeds even feel night and day. I know how the last gen 335i felt to the M3 and I here the gap is even bigger.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2015, 08:07 PM   #24
daMau
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildbright View Post
Thanks I am confident the suspension being stiffer, sharp throttle response, loud exhaust sound will make low speeds even feel night and day. I know how the last gen 335i felt to the M3 and I here the gap is even bigger.
The gap is definitely bigger, because the E90 335i w/ the N54 engine was stronger than the F30 335i with the N55 engine. Meanwhile, the new M3 is considerable faster and better performing than the E92 M3.

So, the M3 gap got wider, while the 335i actually got a tad worse.
Appreciate 1
zamboni1124.50
      04-06-2015, 08:12 PM   #25
buildbright
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallybull View Post
I have a f30 335i with the PPK and m-perf suspension. I absolutely love the car and the way it drives. After the PPK the throttle response is crazy especially in sports mode. Yes the car loses that in-your-face pickup punch after about 70mph, but then I do most of my driving below that speed. The m-perf suspension is the other story. What a difference between the regular suspension and this one. The car seems so "on-rails" at least in street driving. If the suspension was any stiffer though I don't think I could have taken it (for a DD). I believe the M-PPK and the m-perf suspension are two very basic performance mods that anyone(interested in performing oriented driving) with a 335i should do.

I also changed out the tires.

The question I keep asking myself is how much better will the new m3 be than my modded 335i for spirited street driving.
I will let you know as I have driven a car like yours and my F30 has the Adaptive M, JB4, exhaust, RS3 tires and lighter wheels.

Is yours a stick or auto? Because I have the sport auto ZF 8 speed which is great but compared to the DCT not even in the same solar system. The only transmission that I think even compares is the PDK.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2015, 08:15 PM   #26
buildbright
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by daMau View Post
The gap is definitely bigger, because the E90 335i w/ the N54 engine was stronger than the F30 335i with the N55 engine. Meanwhile, the new M3 is considerable faster and better performing than the E92 M3.

So, the M3 gap got wider, while the 335i actually got a tad worse.
Agreed and the E90 steering and suspension are definitely better then the F30. The F30 has the better chassis which why it didn't lose in laptimes but they went soft on the suspension and steering side.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2015, 09:51 PM   #27
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
I have a f30 335i with the PPK and m-perf suspension.

I also changed out the tires.

The question I keep asking myself is how much better will the new m3 be than my modded 335i for spirited street driving.
+20hp and springs/dampers are a pretty mild modification in my opinion. I believe there will be a pretty big difference still from that type of 335 to an M3.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2015, 11:45 PM   #28
rallybull
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i w/PPK

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildbright View Post
I will let you know as I have driven a car like yours and my F30 has the Adaptive M, JB4, exhaust, RS3 tires and lighter wheels.

Is yours a stick or auto? Because I have the sport auto ZF 8 speed which is great but compared to the DCT not even in the same solar system. The only transmission that I think even compares is the PDK.
Great! Would love to get a feedback. btw what map do you usually run JB4 in?
I have the 8 speed auto.
The C63S is another car I'm closely watching.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2015, 12:34 AM   #29
buildbright
Major
Rep

Quote:
Great! Would love to get a feedback. btw what map do you usually run JB4 in?
I have the 8 speed auto.
The C63S is another car I'm closely watching.
Map 2 mostly with 40% E85. No downpipes. I think one of the things I am looking forward to is the low intake air temps. After a full pulls the car starts to pull timing so it's not trackable. But everything I see about the F8x is the cooling is so good even with a tune/piggy temps stay low.

It was hard to find a replacement for my car as the 335i is a hell of a car. It may not be the best at anything but it does everything well.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2015, 06:44 PM   #30
F48_Driver
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

I had the same question as I've been itching to upgrade recently.

You really can't take forum reactions and descriptions seriously since everyone wow gauge is different. As an example, many people on the f30 forum says bms stage 1 tune amazing and makes the car feel different. I installed it said... Ummmm okay I guess I feel it but I am not sure if it is just my mind justifying the purchase. Luckily it was only a few hundred bucks.

If you are looking to upgrade, just go and drive it for yourself and decide if it is worth it. The forums won't be any help in my opinion.

The M3 is undoubtedly be superior... Whether that's worth it to you is another thing.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2015, 08:33 PM   #31
freezey
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Yeah I did the upgrade. It's a pretty big difference as far as look / feel / power. I really enjoy the F80 but be ready to ft has often. The car is pretty awesome though.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2015, 07:50 PM   #32
F48_Driver
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Went to drive one today f82.

The extra power is obvious. Handling is great too =)

But that exhaust at cold start... Is it supposed to be that loud. My my my that's going to wake up the neighborhood!

If I was buying my 335i it is a no-brainer the m3 is worth the upgrade.

When I optioned my 335i out it comes to 55k. At that point it makes sense to get into an m3 even if it means giving up some options on the 335i ( HUD) to get the m3 price down a bit
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2015, 10:34 PM   #33
papa55
Rep
Drives: Japanese

Quote:
Originally Posted by freezey View Post
Yeah I did the upgrade. It's a pretty big difference as far as look / feel / power. I really enjoy the F80 but be ready to ft has often. The car is pretty awesome though.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2015, 12:46 AM   #34
visualguy
Captain
Rep
Drives: M5

I test drove an M4 before leasing a 435i GC. I preferred the 435i - more comfortable ride, less noisy, smoother transmission. The power and handling of the 435i are excellent for anything that I encounter on public roads.

If I was going to spend M4 money, I would either get a sports car that provides a special experience even on public roads (like a Porsche Cayman), or go the opposite way and get a nicely-equipped 5-series.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2015, 08:28 AM   #35
freezey
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa55 View Post
Yeah sorry i have no idea what autocorrect was doing and i completely forget what i was trying to say. Either way I made the jump the car is dope but i am getting rid of it now for a larger more comfortable ride(M5).
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2015, 08:41 AM   #36
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

I went from the ActiveHybrid3 to the F80. Ride quality is actually better with the F80!

The power delivery went from excellent to omg-this-thing-is-fast. Both cars have 50/50 weight distribution, but the overall chassis composure and road-grip is the biggest difference in normal driving activities.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2015, 08:44 AM   #37
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by visualguy View Post

If I was going to spend M4 money, I would either get a sports car that provides a special experience even on public roads (like a Porsche Cayman), or go the opposite way and get a nicely-equipped 5-series.
M4 and a nicely-equipped 5-series are just night and day for a driving experience. Usually if you like one, you don't like/appreciate the other.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2015, 01:11 PM   #38
anerbe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Red E90M 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by visualguy View Post
I test drove an M4 before leasing a 435i GC. I preferred the 435i - more comfortable ride, less noisy, smoother transmission. The power and handling of the 435i are excellent for anything that I encounter on public roads.

Personally, I would love if they made an M4 Gran Coupe.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2015, 03:57 PM   #39
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by anerbe View Post
Personally, I would love if they made an M4 Gran Coupe.
I have a feeling BMW would see more $$$ from something like an X3M on the Gxx platform.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2015, 10:40 PM   #40
trey100
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Competition

Getting a test drive is difficult. I'm driving an f30 335 xdrive 6mt (Msport, adaptive suspension, VSS, M brakes) and I'd love to know from people who have gone from something similar to an M3 just how different the M3 is. For instance does the 6mt have shorter throws? Is the clutch heavier? How different is the steering weight? Any droning on the highway? I definitely want something a bit more "special" but don't want to end up with a car that is too rough around the edges for daily duty (I commute 40 miles a day).
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2015, 11:47 PM   #41
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by trey100 View Post
Getting a test drive is difficult. I'm driving an f30 335 xdrive 6mt (Msport, adaptive suspension, VSS, M brakes) and I'd love to know from people who have gone from something similar to an M3 just how different the M3 is. For instance does the 6mt have shorter throws? Is the clutch heavier? How different is the steering weight? Any droning on the highway? I definitely want something a bit more "special" but don't want to end up with a car that is too rough around the edges for daily duty (I commute 40 miles a day).
comfort is fine go for it. Get the adaptive suspension for the comfort mode and 18s if you are worried about comfort. You can put the throttle into efficient mode and it is quiet.
Appreciate 1
      11-22-2015, 06:57 PM   #42
trey100
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz
Quote:
comfort is fine go for it. Get the adaptive suspension for the comfort mode and 18s if you are worried about comfort. You can put the throttle into efficient mode and it is quiet.
Excellent. Thanks. I sat in an M3 6MT today at the UDE event. Throws seem marginally shorter and tighter. I have some time before my lease it up but I really need to get a test drive.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2015, 10:38 AM   #43
mephiska
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Garage List
Quote:
My commute is about the same. No droning on the highway at all, even in sport mode (exhaust flaps close in 3rd gear or higher).

I have the Adaptive M Suspension and 18" wheels. It is absolutely not rough around the edges for daily commute duty. My wife even commented on how quiet it was on the freeway. Road noise is minimal, almost the same as a normal 335. Put the car in Efficient/Comfort/Comfort and you'll think you were in a regular 335.
      11-23-2015, 11:45 AM   #44
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mephiska View Post
Put the car in Efficient/Comfort/Comfort and you'll think you were in a regular 335.
I agree, since my wife has an F30 335 (19s and option 704 suspension) and I make this comparison to F80 M3 daily, but I did want to bring up a few nuances I've noticed from living with the two cars side by side for the better part of a year. Nothing is a big deal, just some nits.

• Turning radius of the F80 is noticeably worse. 3 pt turns may become 5 pt turns
  • Fender flares make it a bit tougher to parallel park (i.e. harder to judge the wheels)
  • Steering effort is a lot higher (check with your sig other if you are sharing the car)
  • There's a bit more road noise in M3
  • Lack of rear seat cupholders are noticeable on road trips
  • Cold start is obnoxiously loud in M3, compared to 335
  • M3 passive suspension + 18s will rock rear seat passengers heads back and forth on sections of freeways where 335 will not
Appreciate 2