R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

05-13-2022, 11:29 AM   #23
stoes
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewDDS View Post
Just flashed stage 3 version 1.3. I went from bm3 gts, and wow, big change! The shifts are definitely faster. Where the gts tune was choppy in moderate throttle shifts, the xHP tune is crisp and much smoother. Hard to explain the differences here, but it shifts more like the volkswagen dual clutches i've driven before - just bang on into the next gear. D3 is ludicrous, probably won't be using that very often. Keeps the rpm's close to redline. S3 is perfect for me. With the gts tune, you could feel the clutch pressure increase in stop and go traffic, and it was a bit annoying. With xHP, you don't notice the pressure increase, it's very smooth taking off/coming to a stop. Purchased license due to seeing this thread, and I'm not disappointed.
Did you need to revert your bm3 gts tune back to stock before flashing Xhp? I just got it and am about to flash the car
      05-13-2022, 11:47 AM   #24
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M3 ZCP DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoes View Post
Did you need to revert your bm3 gts tune back to stock before flashing Xhp? I just got it and am about to flash the car
No, you should be fine as it will over-write the GTS tune.
2017 F80 M3 ZCP / AA GESI DPs / Akrapovic Evo / BBS FI-R 19" / Bend Calibration ECUTEK Flex Fuel | Bilstein B16 DDC + CS EDC / BMC Filters / BMS OCC / CSF HE / ESS CP / Nitto NT555R2 / PD Crank Hub / SPL Suspension / Uniden R7 / Wagner Top Mount IC

2021 Mini GP3 / BMC Filters / BM3 / Cary Jordan E30 / Wagner IC / Remus Race
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2022, 11:53 AM   #25
stoes
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellokitty View Post
Quote:
No, you should be fine as it will over-write the GTS tune.
Ok, I'm bout to flash. Hopefully it goes smooth! I'll report back initial impressions this afternoon
      05-13-2022, 12:23 PM   #26
stoes
Private First Class
Rep

Well, it flashed the car without any issues at all! The entire process of fishing the license then map only took about 5 minutes if that.. once it prepared the car for flash it only took 30-45 seconds. Turned car off for 5 seconds, turned on and started right up without a hitch. Very user friendly process. I'm going for a ride now!
      05-13-2022, 02:48 PM   #27
stoes
Private First Class
Rep

I flashed stage 3 (version 1.3)and drove for about 2 hours testing each mode. Manual stage 3 sport plus S3 setting is great but the D3 sport plus setting is way too harsh! It won't switch gears until like 6,000 rpm. It wants to be in 3rd gear at 85 mph! And it just hangs there unless I floor it, even gradually giving it gas it won't shift till almost redline
Does anyone have a link they can share or tell me their personal settings for stage 3? I'm about to try stage 2.
The shifts are way better but it definitely needs to be dialed in. The car feels much faster and it is as tested by draggy. Too bad it's 95 degrees in Houston so I'm not beating prior times when it was 60 degrees but I can definitely tell the potential is there!
Any setting recommendations would greatly be appreciated! What version is everyone on? I'm on Version 1.3..
Bm3 stage 2 flex fuel tuned btw e45
      05-13-2022, 09:51 PM   #28
Wanted_M
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Frozen Blue M4CS

Do you're own custom settings under settings, shift map editor for D and S mode. Or select relaxed or relaxed + and see if you notice the difference.
ARM DP's/Resonated Mid-pipe | SPL links | Hotchkis bars | JRZ RS2/camber plates | K&N | Koyorad HX | Powerflex purple | Rouge | Spiegler | Speed Eng. snorkel | Vargas CBC/hub | Wagner IC | xHP | Xpel stealth ppf
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2022, 06:41 AM   #29
stoes
Private First Class
Rep

Did you notice the same thing or a similar issue with your stage 3 D3 setting? It's really strange. Every other setting is great but D3 regardless of which mode drives extremely rough and won't switch unless I give it 80% or more throttle.
Example yesterday driving down my street I switched over to d3 sport plus from a stop and eased the throttle like I normally would driving in my neighborhood. 1st gear switched fine although extremely sensitive and rough (I know it's a race setting so it's ok if very sensitive) but 2nd gear the rpms climbed and climbed as the car accelerated slowly reaching 5500 rpm before finally switching to 3rd while keeping my foot on the throttle steady at a low cryising speed. I started to slow down just a little as a car pulled out, I didn't hit the brake. Just eased off the throttle and boom harsh downshift from 30 mph back to 2nd while the rpm in 2nd is hanging around 5500, I kept my foot on the throttle trying to slowly get it to switch back to 3rd as I'm only going 30mph. I once again had to get out of auto mode to manual so I could switch gears in fear the transmission would overheat from rpm hanging so damn high.
I'm just curious, Does this sound normal? S3 is phenomenal in all modes. I keep it in sport plus. Car rips. But part of the reason I got this software was to be able to drive in d3 sport or sport plus. My gts was awful as well.
I'm not bashing in any way, I understand every csr is different and sometimes you need to adjust things which I actually prefer. I've read as much info as I could prior to purchase and never came across a situation quite like this. I know people have had other issues and reflashed or changed versions , so that's what in curios about. Does this sound completely strange or normal? Could it be something as simple as a reflashed to fix? I'll be messing with it all day which I'm looking forward too. I really enjoy dialing in my cars. I'm just new to this software and looking for advice.
Thanks everyone
      05-14-2022, 08:16 AM   #30
TakeOne
Just1MoreMod
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, F48 X1

Quote:
Did you notice the same thing or a similar issue with your stage 3 D3 setting? It's really strange. Every other setting is great but D3 regardless of which mode drives extremely rough and won't switch unless I give it 80% or more throttle.
Example yesterday driving down my street I switched over to d3 sport plus from a stop and eased the throttle like I normally would driving in my neighborhood. 1st gear switched fine although extremely sensitive and rough (I know it's a race setting so it's ok if very sensitive) but 2nd gear the rpms climbed and climbed as the car accelerated slowly reaching 5500 rpm before finally switching to 3rd while keeping my foot on the throttle steady at a low cryising speed. I started to slow down just a little as a car pulled out, I didn't hit the brake. Just eased off the throttle and boom harsh downshift from 30 mph back to 2nd while the rpm in 2nd is hanging around 5500, I kept my foot on the throttle trying to slowly get it to switch back to 3rd as I'm only going 30mph. I once again had to get out of auto mode to manual so I could switch gears in fear the transmission would overheat from rpm hanging so damn high.
I'm just curious, Does this sound normal? S3 is phenomenal in all modes. I keep it in sport plus. Car rips. But part of the reason I got this software was to be able to drive in d3 sport or sport plus. My gts was awful as well.
I'm not bashing in any way, I understand every csr is different and sometimes you need to adjust things which I actually prefer. I've read as much info as I could prior to purchase and never came across a situation quite like this. I know people have had other issues and reflashed or changed versions , so that's what in curios about. Does this sound completely strange or normal? Could it be something as simple as a reflashed to fix? I'll be messing with it all day which I'm looking forward too. I really enjoy dialing in my cars. I'm just new to this software and looking for advice.
Thanks everyone
I think what you're experiencing is probably by design for being a stage 3 flash. I remember when xHP first came out (version 1.0) and I tried the various OTS stage maps… once I flashed stage 3, I kinda hated it. Granted I didn't do anything with custom shift points, but I remember feeling absolutely embarrassed going through my neighborhood holding 5-6000k rpms
I immediately went back to Stage 2 (until an updated version came out, and I began experimenting more with custom settings)

This being said, I almost NEVER use D3 mode (no matter what xHP version… that's just not my style). My mindset is, if I'm on level 3 for shift speed, I'm using Manual S3. My priority/amount of modes I personally drive in is as follows:
D1
D2
S2
S3
S1
D3

As you can see, I just don't see the point of having an automatic mode holding that high of an rpm. I got xHP for the clamping force benefit, adjusting shift points, and torque reduction/ punch settings.
Hope this makes sense/helps
      05-14-2022, 10:18 AM   #31
Ropes
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 CS

Think of it this way, D3 on stage 2 is similar to GTS and D3 on stage 3 is full blown race car
Appreciate 1
stoes35.50
      05-14-2022, 10:53 AM   #32
stoes
Private First Class
Rep

Edit.
Flashed stage 2 and it's perfect! Sport plus in S3 and D3 are both a lot smoother for a daily driver. The car is completely changed. Not only does it clamp as I hoped but the car just drives all around better. It feels like this is how it should have come from the factory. Power increase aside the car has effectively woke up is the best way to describe it. There's a lot of little nuances Thst I can feel and hear but I can't describe. It's night and day compared to the bm3 gts tune. I flashed the stage 2 in 10 seconds. Very happy with this product and just makes my driving experience a lot better!
      10-24-2022, 10:24 PM   #33
Habs
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 F80 M3 ZCP, Mexico Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by rborane View Post
Bm3 uses an old version of the GTS DCT flash. Message kubax86 and ask for either the most recent GTS or CS flash and you'll notice a difference. I have the CS and it is crisp and smooth
Did the GTS flash recently and I'm pretty happy with it. The shifts feel more natural than ZCP, less jerkiness. I did not notice much difference in the suspension or steering feel but still worth it for the transmission. Dealing with kubax86 was easy. Would recommend to anyone.