ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-28-2021, 11:14 AM   #1
OGMthree4real
Private
OGMthree4real's Avatar
21
Rep
72
Posts

Drives: 2018 Avus Blue, Comp Pack
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Mid-West

iTrader: (0)

F80 to 991.2 4S

I decided to make the switch from a 2018 F80 all options expect full leather and CCB's. I picked in up in the summer of 18' enjoyed it year round until I sold it. I got a personal offer that was too hard to refused based on low mileage and ind color that was numbered. 7/2xx. I sat on the offer for about a month and then accepted it.

In that month I researched the 911 range from Base to Turbo S. I have had much seat time in a 15 Targa 4S and felt it needed a little bit more push. The F80 blows the doors off the 991.1 series outside the turbo. The F80 was a blast to drive. I related it to a rocket-ship, it blasts off and you hold on tight. I have read a post describing the M division of late as German muscle cars and I agree completely. I prefer to push the car a little to achieve maximum performance vs push the pedal and arrive at 100+ so quickly that the next things you see is red lights in your rearview mirror.

I arrived to the decision to purchase a 991.2 another turbo 6 so again the sound is lacking but acceptable. The drive home proved the 911 had similar low end torque characteristics as the F80. ..I felt the rate at which speed was achieved was not as aggressive. The 4wd option may have also played a role. To make a long story short the 911 is an excellent replacement for the F80 for me.

It's been fun reading and posting with this community. The forum is a great place for anyone interested in anything to do with a particular issue or question. Stay safe and drive on.


OGMThree4real
Appreciate 2
jlspeed29429.50
clutchdj1268.50
      01-28-2021, 12:20 PM   #2
AlterZgo
Lieutenant Colonel
1275
Rep
1,558
Posts

Drives: 2015 BMW M3 6MT, 2010 535i 6MT
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Irvine, CA to Gilbert, AZ

iTrader: (0)

Congrats! Pictures? Options? PDK? Both the 991.2 and F80 have mediocre sounding exhausts, but which do you think sounds better? Which is louder? Does your 991.2 have the sport exhaust?

I plan on keeping my F80 but will add a 992 in the near future. Was going to go G82, but decided to just keep the F80 for my BMW fix and get a Porsche instead. Heavily leaning towards a manual C2S, though with the way the options ramp up in price quickly, am also considering a 992 turbo.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2021, 01:48 PM   #3
OGMthree4real
Private
OGMthree4real's Avatar
21
Rep
72
Posts

Drives: 2018 Avus Blue, Comp Pack
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Mid-West

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlterZgo View Post
Congrats! Pictures? Options? PDK? Both the 991.2 and F80 have mediocre sounding exhausts, but which do you think sounds better? Which is louder? Does your 991.2 have the sport exhaust?

I plan on keeping my F80 but will add a 992 in the near future. Was going to go G82, but decided to just keep the F80 for my BMW fix and get a Porsche instead. Heavily leaning towards a manual C2S, though with the way the options ramp up in price quickly, am also considering a 992 turbo.
The 911 has the premium plus package, PDK, SC, LCA and the Bose sound system. It has other less significant options that are usually standard for example tilt/slide glass roof. The 911 on road driving is quiet with the sports exhaust open or closed. If you aim to have fun and the exhaust comes alive with a sound that is very Porsche. The F80 in comparison had more of an angry lions roar very aggressive and head turning. The 911 cold start is far more enjoyable compared to the loud raspy tin can sound conveyed by the F80. Sorry I forgot to add pictures, here you go.

Name:  145F571B-0520-4C52-AC5F-BE6615455F10.jpg
Views: 1610
Size:  600.2 KB

Name:  8EB1D817-BBB9-4B6B-B923-E573115ADA6E.jpg
Views: 1575
Size:  423.1 KB

Last edited by OGMthree4real; 01-28-2021 at 05:04 PM..
Appreciate 2
AlterZgo1275.00
jesm175.00
      01-28-2021, 02:18 PM   #4
AlterZgo
Lieutenant Colonel
1275
Rep
1,558
Posts

Drives: 2015 BMW M3 6MT, 2010 535i 6MT
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Irvine, CA to Gilbert, AZ

iTrader: (0)

Beautiful cars! With respect to the Bose stereo, how does it compare to the M3's HK system? How's the bass?
Appreciate 1
      01-28-2021, 05:09 PM   #5
OGMthree4real
Private
OGMthree4real's Avatar
21
Rep
72
Posts

Drives: 2018 Avus Blue, Comp Pack
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Mid-West

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlterZgo View Post
Beautiful cars! With respect to the Bose stereo, how does it compare to the M3's HK system? How's the bass?
I feel like the Bose is significantly better, I believe the smaller cabin plays a role vs the F80. I spent two years constantly adjusting sound setting never got it right. I follow threads on the F30 forum as well as here to try different settings. None gave that set it and forget it affect. The Bose on the other hand has less to configure...+3 on the Bass +5 on the treble. So far so good.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2021, 02:44 PM   #6
2011ninja
Lieutenant Colonel
1659
Rep
1,755
Posts

Drives: 2016M3
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Connecticut

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OGMthree4real View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlterZgo View Post
Congrats! Pictures? Options? PDK? Both the 991.2 and F80 have mediocre sounding exhausts, but which do you think sounds better? Which is louder? Does your 991.2 have the sport exhaust?

I plan on keeping my F80 but will add a 992 in the near future. Was going to go G82, but decided to just keep the F80 for my BMW fix and get a Porsche instead. Heavily leaning towards a manual C2S, though with the way the options ramp up in price quickly, am also considering a 992 turbo.
The 911 has the premium plus package, PDK, SC, LCA and the Bose sound system. It has other less significant options that are usually standard for example tilt/slide glass roof. The 911 on road driving is quiet with the sports exhaust open or closed. If you aim to have fun and the exhaust comes alive with a sound that is very Porsche. The F80 in comparison had more of an angry lions roar very aggressive and head turning. The 911 cold start is far more enjoyable compared to the loud raspy tin can sound conveyed by the F80. Sorry I forgot to add pictures, here you go.

Attachment 2515972

Attachment 2515973
Dang they both look good...

Congratulations on the Porsche
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2021, 11:51 AM   #7
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
nicknaz's Avatar
United_States
3164
Rep
10,500
Posts

Drives: 6TT, model 3P, SM, F31 330
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NorCal

iTrader: (0)

Congrats and enjoy in good health.
Appreciate 1
      05-17-2021, 02:20 PM   #8
SeatownF83m4Zhp
New Member
10
Rep
19
Posts

Drives: Bmw F83 M4 Zhp
Join Date: May 2021
Location: Seattle

iTrader: (0)

I just picked up a 991.2 C4S as well and have similar opinions. The way the power come on early is very smooth and linear. They tuned the down low torque to be Na like instead of giving you the entire Can like my m4 comp. Both cars are a rocket to redline though.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2021, 11:48 AM   #9
lebowski
Enlisted Member
0
Rep
31
Posts

Drives: 330ci M-sport (past)
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Vancouver, BC

iTrader: (0)

Bumping this thread as I just came across it, researching both of these cars: first off, beautiful cars OP! Love the Ind. color on your F80. Also, I think you buried the lede: we need to know more about the Vette convertible in the background

If I may ask: how have you found the ride quality between your F80 and your C4S?
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2021, 01:51 AM   #10
GP20
Major
Canada
90
Rep
1,269
Posts

Drives: Z4M, F80 M3, 991.2 GTS
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Canada

iTrader: (5)

I have a 2019 4GTS with Sport-PASM and also an 2016 F80 as my daily driver. Stock to stock, to me the 911 and the M3 are just about the same in ride comfort. Going over ripple roads, I feel like the 911's electronic dampers control better and react more quickly.

Search for the DSV V3 controller. With DSC V3, in normal mode, it's more comfortable than stock but also has less body roll compared to stock. In this mode, ride is more compliant and more comfortable than my F80. With the suspension in sport mode (GT3 Touring mode), it's on a whole other level and ready for tracks.

Handling wise, the 2 are not even close. The 991 is a proper sports car (relative to the M3, that is; I'm sure many 993/997 owners will say the 991 is just a grand tourer). The M3 feels like a large, heavy, quiet, overall comfortable and sporty sedan with lots of body roll. The 911 even with the twin turbos sounds better. Both PDK/7sp manual are better than BMW's DCT/6-spd. Build/material quality and attention to details? BMW just doesn't compare to Porsche. But the two cars aren't exactly in the same price range.
__________________
2019 Porsche 911 4 GTS
2016 BMW M3
2008 BMW Z4M coupe

Last edited by GP20; 11-28-2021 at 01:57 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2021, 11:38 PM   #11
jlspeed29
Major
jlspeed29's Avatar
430
Rep
1,387
Posts

Drives: F80 SO ZCP CCB
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Somewhere along PCH...

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 335 coupe  [8.00]
I've been consumed by the fact that my lease is coming due on my 18' F80comp.. my heart was set on a 997 (mostly due to price) but seems like the 991 is a better fit... i love driving and also like creature comforts.. the f80comp checks those boxes, but i still find myself lusting after a 911.... thanks for the comments above^
__________________
A fisherman always sees another fisherman from afar
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2022, 02:45 AM   #12
Maxxxp
Banned
United_States
20
Rep
14
Posts

Drives: M3
Join Date: Feb 2022
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OGMthree4real View Post
I decided to make the switch from a 2018 F80 all options expect full leather and CCB's. I picked in up in the summer of 18' enjoyed it year round until I sold it. I got a personal offer that was too hard to refused based on low mileage and ind color that was numbered. 7/2xx. I sat on the offer for about a month and then accepted it.

In that month I researched the 911 range from Base to Turbo S. I have had much seat time in a 15 Targa 4S and felt it needed a little bit more push. The F80 blows the doors off the 991.1 series outside the turbo. The F80 was a blast to drive. I related it to a rocket-ship, it blasts off and you hold on tight. I have read a post describing the M division of late as German muscle cars and I agree completely. I prefer to push the car a little to achieve maximum performance vs push the pedal and arrive at 100+ so quickly that the next things you see is red lights in your rearview mirror.

I arrived to the decision to purchase a 991.2 another turbo 6 so again the sound is lacking but acceptable. The drive home proved the 911 had similar low end torque characteristics as the F80. ..I felt the rate at which speed was achieved was not as aggressive. The 4wd option may have also played a role. To make a long story short the 911 is an excellent replacement for the F80 for me.

It's been fun reading and posting with this community. The forum is a great place for anyone interested in anything to do with a particular issue or question. Stay safe and drive on.


OGMThree4real
Congratulations bro what news you have any pictures was hoping to see what these looks like in this terms .
Appreciate 1
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:23 PM.




f80post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST