GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

03-02-2021, 09:03 PM   #1
wasya152
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ///M3CS

buzzing, rattling coming from the rear bench/speaker area

has anyone noticed this? I've been enjoying my CS very much for the last 3 weeks, but noticed that there is a buzzing sound coming from the rear glass/speaker area under hard acceleration, especially top of 3rd and 4th gears. it sounds like high pitched rattling or buzzing. I remember when we drove another m3 comp previously, we noticed the same thing so it seems it might be common. at the time, i thought maybe something was loose or rattling in that car, but now am getting similar sound from my CS. It's most pronounced under hard acceleration. Seems like maybe the resonance from the exhaust at the perfect pitch is causing the rattling or buzzing sound.

Is this know issue, if so, how do I fix it. don't want to take it to dealership until i know what it is so we don't waste time with an issue they can't figure out.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2021, 09:18 PM   #2
deeldoo
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 - DCT 2016

Turn off active sound and see if it helps.

If not good luck, i basically tore my car apart and couldn't find it.

I think the stiffness plus exhaust resonance + everything else causes all sorts of buzzing.

Mine for example buzzes in the rain and when it's cold.

Maybe the rubber components harden, or the driveshaft and exhaust are sensitive to wetness or coldness.

No idea
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2021, 09:25 PM   #3
wasya152
Lieutenant
Rep

I think the CS doesn't have the piped exhaust speaker sound feature. At least that's what I thought.

I just also noticed that I heard it while on a call that was high pitched. Could it be related to the speaker themselves?
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2021, 09:36 PM   #4
wasya152
Lieutenant
Rep

the car was cold when we hit the highway, i guess, but the motor oils were all warmed up by them.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2021, 10:17 PM   #5
HyeM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

There's known issues of the third brake light rattling against the back window and I've seen many people say their subwoofer rattles and the plastic car seat latch behind the rear seats rattles. I'm chasing a rattle back there too it sounds like my rear window is loose and it's bugging the hell out of me
Appreciate 0