GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

03-03-2021, 05:37 AM   #1
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Talking OEM "Born in M Town" Euro License Plate Frame

This may be of interest to those who live in Europe or run European-style plates overseas.

So I'm a bit crazy in the head, alright.

Unlike in North America, BMW here in Europe does not sell any original license plate frames.
Usually, dealers install their own branded frames and I really don't want to be a rolling advert for any dealership.

Thus, for many months, I've been on the hunt for this old license plate frame from BMW M GmbH that only a handful of people in Germany seem to have got ahold of. No luck, as is tradition for me.

Then started seeing some new BMW plate frames during the whole Born in M Town marketing campaign on social media so I contacted BMW M but unfortunately, they said they're not available for sale.

And this last December, I was just about to slide into the DMs of M GmbH CEO, Markus Flasch, and beg for the fucking plate frame (did I say I'm weird? ) when I found out that the corporate Munich dealership has them on their eBay site!

Well, I bought it right away. Was even despatched from Garching where M GmbH has their HQ! And so here it is on the car. Nice quality piece, though I kinda wish it was painted gloss black to give it some extra flavour.

I don't have the rear M3 trunk badge so this probably added back 5 hp and a couple overrun burbles.

Here is the link. Only caveat is that they don't ship outside of Germany but probably could do so upon request.

SherM4n630.00
      03-03-2021, 08:43 AM   #2
Tecnniqe
Sad ///M noises
No_Country
Rep
Drives: ///M4 COMPETITION

I just got a friend from Germany to order me one

Can’t wait.
Appreciate 1
swagon13482.50
      03-03-2021, 09:57 AM   #3
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecnniqe View Post

Can’t wait.
Nice! I only got one, too, as my front plate is double-taped onto the bumper.
      03-03-2021, 10:16 AM   #4
Tecnniqe
Sad ///M noises
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon View Post
Yep, I have no plate holder at the front, looks really clean without at least on white. I also blacked out the nationality region aesthetics!

Gonna be great to get the dealership's information gone from the back, I've been trying to figure out what to replace it with for a long time
Appreciate 1
swagon13482.50
      03-03-2021, 12:27 PM   #5
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon View Post
My wife and I also run our original Euro Delivery Zoll plates taped to the front bumper as they were on my M4 and her M3 when delivered. I'd be concerned that the plastic frame wouldn't flex enough for the tape to hold it on. With the original metal plate, you can bend it to fit the curve of the front bumper but the plastic frame would want to be straight and I don't think that the tape would hold on the plastic frame.

Appreciate 1
swagon13482.50
      03-03-2021, 01:00 PM   #6
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD ///M4 View Post
My wife and I also run our original Euro Delivery Zoll plates taped to the front bumper as they were on my M4 and her M3 when delivered. I'd be concerned that the plastic frame wouldn't flex enough for the tape to hold it on. With the original metal plate, you can bend it to fit the curve of the front bumper but the plastic frame would want to be straight and I don't think that the tape would hold on the plastic frame.
So basically, these standardised EU plate frames are meant to be drilled into bumpers as that is a very standard course of action in most of continental Europe, I'd say. No one really cares because a front plate must be fitted in all countries anyways so the holes are covered.

BMW sells a license plate holder for F8x M3/M4 (and every single other model) that's also drilled. And as some countries prohibit drilling into license plates, what often ends up happening is that people run the holder and a frame and that's just a pure eye sore to me...

I ditched everything and just 3M'd the bare plate on the bumper. Just about covered the holes that were already there. Heated the plate up and even bent the lower edge of it so that it sits flush with the protruding upper lip of the middle front air intake. Like Tecnniqe says, aesthetics.
      03-03-2021, 01:44 PM   #7
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecnniqe View Post

Can’t wait.
I just realized that I could use this holder for the rear plates that were taken off after our cars were redelivered to the U.S. We have the original plates and frames on display.

Any chance your friend in Germany could get two for me? PM me if necessary.

Appreciate 0
      03-03-2021, 02:29 PM   #8
Tecnniqe
Sad ///M noises
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD ///M4 View Post
I just realized that I could use this holder for the rear plates that were taken off after our cars were redelivered to the U.S. We have the original plates and frames on display.

Any chance your friend in Germany could get two for me? PM me if necessary.
Yaya, I sent you a PM
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2021, 04:18 AM   #9
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Germany
Rep
Drives: M4CPC // HP4 Comp.

This!
Attached Images

Some say, that my scrotum has its own small gravity field and when Im slowing down that brake lights come on at my buttox
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2021, 04:31 AM   #10
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dang3r View Post
This!
Seen a few corporate cars with these. Are the door sills illuminated?
      03-05-2021, 04:23 AM   #11
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Germany
Rep
Drives: M4CPC // HP4 Comp.

No, unfortunately they are not, but kinda unique, had never see those for buy.
Even your plate frame is more visible, that w/o doubt

Some say, that my scrotum has its own small gravity field and when Im slowing down that brake lights come on at my buttox
Appreciate 0